Author Topic: Lotus Eco Elise - Jerry Garcia's Lotus  (Read 3708 times)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Lotus Eco Elise - Jerry Garcia's Lotus
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:38:26 pm »
 :thumbup: :drive2:

SWEET!

Jerry Garcia's Lotus
By Stuart Schwartzapfel EmailJuly 15, 2008 | 12:41:34 PM
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/lotus-eco-elise.html

So the engineering superheroes at Lotus have churned out yet another iteration of the street legal go cart we like to call Elise. Aptly named “Eco Elise”, the Elise S-based concept will nail 60 MPH in less than 5.8 seconds but treads lightly thanks to sustainable materials and across-the-board reductions in energy required at the time of manufacture.

The Elise S is already pretty damn efficient considering the grins its capable of producing - 34 MPG combined fuel economy, 196 g/km CO2 emissions and a dry weight of about 1,896 lbs. New to the party are reusable materials like Hemp, eco wool and sisal that have been used in place of traditional body panels and interior trim pieces while water based paint solutions lower emissions during the application process. The concept, or ‘demonstrator vehicle’ as Lotus calls it, is set to debut at the 2008 British Motor Show [July 23- August 3].

Considering current gas prices, Lotus founder Colin Chapman may have been looking into a crystal ball when he founded a sports car company shouting “performance through light weight” from the rooftops. Yes, ditching unneeded heft is a sure way to up the performance ante and reduce complexity but it also improves fuel economy because the engine does not have to work as hard.

Well the boys in Hethel remained faithful to their captain with the Eco Elise, which is 70.5 pounds lighter than the already bantamweight Elise S to which it is based. Hell, even the lightweight Alpine stereo accounts for a 3.3 lbs weight reduction. The composite body panels and spoiler are made from hemp technical fabrics, beloved by Phishheads and rope manufacturers alike for its strength. Seats are also made from hemp. A cool touch, solar panels have been set into the hard top as an additional source power for the electrical systems.

Lotus and Du Pont teamed up on this one to develop a completely water-based paint system for primer, color and lacquer. Lotus says this represents the first time it has been possible to hand spray a water based “A” class production paint finish. The system consumes less energy thanks to the special paint's low cure temperature and there is an overall reduction in solvent emissions. Lotus says this technology is expected in production cars sometime soon.

Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc commented "This Eco Elise is a great example of the advanced and affordable green technologies Lotus is developing. We are at the cutting edge of environmental technology and are determined to push forward with our green agenda. The Lotus brand values of lightweight, fuel efficient, and high performance are more relevant today than they ever have been. We are keen to ensure that Lotus as a company and its products offer an ethical, green option that appeals to our customers".

Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Lotus Eco Elise - Jerry Garcia's Lotus
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »
It's such a piece of marketing crap, I can't believe anyone would fall for it...

"Eco wool"  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:  Since when was wool non-eco?  :rofl:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:45 pm »
Could Jerry Garcia even fit in a Elise?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:11 pm »
Eco WOOL........sounds like a wee jobbie fer S _man           sheepshagger..........just pull tha wool over yer eyes :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 08:12:32 am »
That interior just ruined the whole car.  :P :P :P Why not put an electric engine in it and kill the whole car while at it.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:15 am »
That interior just ruined the whole car.  :P :P :P Why not put an electric engine in it and kill the whole car while at it.

I couldn't give a crap about the ECO angle, but I thought the interior looked rich and full of real texture. I like it.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:18:48 am »
Those fabrics must be just sew sew special to you.  :)

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:08 pm »
I really like the interior too. Great old British charm with fantastic performance. Given Lotus is primary an engineering consulting company this is a great PR car too. No mention of cost but I'd rather this than a Prius.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »
 the seat frames look like compressed FLAX seeds and the upholstery WEETABIX.....so it's COLON FRIENDLY TOO....................how much Pro_Biotic Yogurt does the Tank hold???? :eye:

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:50 pm »
Some nice pictures there.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:05:49 pm »
I think I've seen those type of floor mats in an old VW Beetle parts catalog before.  Not sure, I like the seat frames.  It's 70lbs lighter.  Should help with acceleration and handling, n'est-ce pas?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 02:55:10 pm »
..is Bakelite having a resurgence...???? ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:25:24 pm »
The shift knob and brake handle are sublime.  Want.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 05:26:45 pm »
 ??? I thought MACtac went out in the 70’s

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 06:42:35 pm »
There is a saying what's old is new again.  :)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 08:56:12 am »
"Eco-friendly" or not, the interior is nice.  :) :thumbup:

The seats might be a tad uncomfortable after a short while, though. ;D

Still, have to love the effort and the results overall.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:57:45 am by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 05:06:45 pm »
It's 70lbs lighter.  Should help with acceleration and handling, n'est-ce pas?

Yes, I'd rather have paint that actually sticks to the plastic though.

suds.1a

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:00:33 am »
my body just lost the feeling in my legs just looking at those car seats. :o
wow! no long distance driver there.unless u consider 1 hour or less. :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:08 am »
my body just lost the feeling in my legs just looking at those car seats. :o
wow! no long distance driver there.unless u consider 1 hour or less. :)

The Elise seats are amazingly comfortable, you can do up to about 4 hours easily.  Just make sure you're not sat on your wallet!  :rofl2:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 06:52:32 am »
Wonder what the hemp interior would do to a drug sniffing dog at a US border crossing?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.