Author Topic: GM again. News conference at 08:30 Tuesday  (Read 12429 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
GM again. News conference at 08:30 Tuesday
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:57 pm »
from Reuters

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp <GM.N> Chief Executive Rick Wagoner is slated to announce the automaker's second major restructuring package in six weeks on Tuesday as the company looks to cut costs and win back investor confidence in the face of slumping sales.

The cost-cutting will include widespread job cuts for white-collar workers, including engineers assigned to now-frozen efforts to develop GM's next generation of full-size SUVs and pickup trucks, people familiar with the plans said.

Analysts also expect GM to unveil a shake-up of its product portfolio to reflect steps intended to make the line-up more competitive on fuel efficiency.

In addition, GM is expected to detail steps to conserve cash -- including possibly eliminating dividend payments -- as it prepares to raise capital to carry it into 2010 when it will begin to capture large savings from a contract reached last year with the United Auto Workers union, analysts have said.

Shares of GM bounced higher by as much as 5 percent in after-hours trade after the news. The stock has lost about 63 percent since the start of the year.
full story

http://fresh.bnn.ca/reuters_story.aspx?story=2008-07-14T233359Z_01_N14464244_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-GM-COL.XML

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

gta_driver

Re: GM again. News conference at 08:30 Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:19 pm »
I have a bad feeling that a good portion of GM CREC (powertrain engineering mostly for trucks and SUV's in recent years) in Oshawa will be shut down. Someone told me a lot of the work the engineers do there is being handed off to offshore engineers in China and India who are much cheaper to employ.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:23:01 pm by gta_driver »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:33 pm »
5% increase in stock price in anticipation of of more cuts ...  ::) ::)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:18:29 am »
I have a bad feeling that a good portion of GM CREC (powertrain engineering mostly for trucks and SUV's in recent years) in Oshawa will be shut down. Someone told me a lot of the work the engineers do there is being handed off to offshore engineers in China and India who are much cheaper to employ.

This is scary. Outsourcing looks good on the paper for the bean counters, but it could go sour easily. First-hand experience...

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:27:57 am »

This is scary. Outsourcing looks good on the paper for the bean counters, but it could go sour easily. First-hand experience...

Except that GM has some really great engineers and designers in China already (Buick China).  So it's not like they'd be handing off the operation to a bunch of noobs, I assume.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:32:58 am »
5% increase in stock price in anticipation of of more cuts ...  ::) ::)

Nope....5% increase in stock price in anticipation that GM's chances of survival may improve.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:47:41 am »
The deed must be done. GM, in order to survive, has to make some drastic changes and while what they announce today will be painfull to many, it's a short term fix for the bigger problems.

When they get serious about taking on the existing structure and remaking it then the market will know they are commited and will respond much more.  We all know what they need to do and let's hope they do it. As bad as it looks and is, they have to change.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:13:21 am »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:59 am »

Outsourcing can also work very well, we have some great people out in India who are very qualified and very cheap (relatively).

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:29:03 am »
What bothers me about this is contained here: "General Motors said Tuesday it will reduce its white-collar workforce, suspend its dividend, reduce spending on marketing and make more production cutbacks."  (Source: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/07/15/moregmcuts.html )

As someone who runs their own business, I know the last thing you are supposed to cut is marketing.  This is a sign of either extreme stupidity within the GM executive ranks or a true last gasp desperate measure to stave off bankruptcy.  You can not expect to sell much if your potential customers do not know what you sell.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 11:35:40 am »
Yeah but GM probably spends 10 bazillion dollars on marketting they can cut a little.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:51:50 am »

Outsourcing can also work very well, we have some great people out in India who are very qualified and very cheap (relatively).

Agreed. But things could go either way so the risk is there (50%-50% chances). And this is not because India or China doesn't have qualified engineers, but more about managing the process. I only hope their internal (GM) struggles, if they happen, would not significantly impact the final product.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:25 am »
http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/15/news/companies/GM/?postversion=2008071511

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors Corp. said Tuesday it will suspend its dividend, sell off $4 billion to $7 billion worth of assets and cut 20% worth of salaried cash costs in an overall plan to save billions of dollars.

20% sounds like a lot of jobs.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 11:56:59 am »
Looking at the product pipeline, I don't see any word about a Chevy B-car, nor new models for other brands but Cadillac and Chevy.
Plus, the new important Chevy models (Cruze and Equinox) are kind of far away.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:00:06 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »
Maximum Bob just answered my question: no B-car for Chevy.  :o

Also the Insignia will not make the trip here. I wonder if the same apply to the other Opels. I guess it does ... :(

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 01:12:32 pm »
Looking at the product pipeline, I don't see any word about a Chevy B-car
I thought one of those 3 cars you could vote on was going in to production. Ah, this article says it is the Beat:

A city car
The production model, set to hit the market in mid-2009, will first be available outside of North America. The Beat will retain the concept's compact size and make use of a fuel-efficient, small-displacement engine.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:22:08 pm »
Looking at the product pipeline, I don't see any word about a Chevy B-car
I thought one of those 3 cars you could vote on was going in to production. Ah, this article says it is the Beat:

A city car
The production model, set to hit the market in mid-2009, will first be available outside of North America. The Beat will retain the concept's compact size and make use of a fuel-efficient, small-displacement engine.

Yep, but Bob said today no-Beat for North America (check out the riot at Autoblog on the subject).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:55:16 pm »
CNN Money report seems ta think Waggoner is just "BEAT'in" IT  and he hasn't addressed the meat of the problem.................."waggoner expects GM's share to remain at 21% !!!...he expects OIL to stay at 130 to $150 !!!....he expects 2 billion off what would be termed "Fat" why was that not trimmed years ago....!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:08:05 pm »
Rather than re-engineer all its world cars to meet NA standards it might be cheaper to buy 51 senators and 230 (?) congresscritters to make the US rules the same as the world rules... assuming that they'd stay bought of course.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »
So as it turns its not the asian car makers who will bring down Detroit (although they are delighted to pick up the pieces), but rather a tall weirdo guy named Bin Laden who used to be an associate of the CIA.  That's better than Hollywood could do.  ::)

Bin Laden flukes a 3 pointer against the USA (twin towers).  Americans just happen to elect the first idiot as President who also doubles as a thug and a pathological lier.  Thug and associates then devise a scheme to take over Iraq's oil.  American public living the good life after 8 years of stable government and high growth say sure; "attack who you want, no skin off our *sses".  Thug and associates cut taxes, encourage corruption in the domestic financial markets, and bungle the war.

Result:  The Perfect Storm for Detroit; doubling of oil with all it's obvious consequences for a nation that consumes 40% of world production and ZERO market liquidity (no loans to shaky industries).