Author Topic: The best way to handle speed bumps is to increase speed  (Read 3653 times)

carburator

The best way to handle speed bumps is to increase speed
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:37:03 am »
I noticed that if I drive at full speed ( 40 - 50 kph) over speed bumps , it feels smoother than if I drive over them at the posted rate (20 - 25 kph). When I drive over a speed bump at 20 - 25 kph, i feel like i am on a roller coaster.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: The best way to handle speed bumps is to increase speed
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:45:12 am »
Well, gas it up to 120km/h and imagine how smooth THAT would be.

This from the guy that can't drive a Civic in the winter without bashing the front end to smithereens.  Guess we know why now, eh?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:50:28 am »
Shocked.

carburator

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:57:24 am »
There is another option of course... drive right along the edge of the road ...with one side of the care right next to the side walk. Thats the spot where the speed bump is at its lowest point or not at all. So at least one half of your car does not have to drive over the speed bump and makes the overall drive more pleasurable.

There is nothing 'shocking' here. Lot's of drivers do it. So do motor cyclists.
Speed bumps are a gift from city councillors to get votes by making their constituents believe they have done something for them.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:00:10 pm »
Is that you Picard?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:04:03 pm »
I noticed that if I drive at full speed ( 40 - 50 kph) over speed bumps , it feels smoother than if I drive over them at the posted rate (20 - 25 kph). When I drive over a speed bump at 20 - 25 kph, i feel like i am on a roller coaster.

That has not been my experience here. In fact. there are several roads here where the speed bumps are so steep and wide, that if you hit them at anything over about 25kph, it feels like your vehicle is being badly hurt. This is a residential street however, and is easily avoided (which is what the speed bumps are really meant to do - divert traffic elsewhere...!!).
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:18:59 pm »
..come quickly and look at this..............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

von_khan

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:24:34 pm »

Whats wrong with you? How is a high speed impact to your wheels and suspension good for your car? ::)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:26 pm »
Well, gas it up to 120km/h and imagine how smooth THAT would be.

This from the guy that can't drive a Civic in the winter without bashing the front end to smithereens.  Guess we know why now, eh?

:iagree: Next he'll be telling us that when puts his car into a sideways slide, the spike belts don't do as much damage to his tires. What a maroon.  :o ??? ::) :popo:
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

xviper

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:48:33 pm »
Of course it "feels" smoother.  Your suspension is taking most of the hit.  Whack it fast enough and your suspension transmits all that force to the frame.  Ultimately, you'll get stress fractures in the suspension components and frame.  I used to run speed bumps while responding to calls because it saved a little bit of time.  I've since learned to slow down for speed bumps to save the truck.  We're of no use the next time if the truck is busted.  Speed bumps are supposed to slow down traffic.  I don't imagine they were put there to say, "Scotty, punch it to warp factor 7!"  For some, it would appear as though that concept has been missed.

carburator

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 03:07:35 pm »
LETS ASSUME ONE THING: I am talking about speed bumps that are built according to specifications. There is lots of occurences in the city of speed bumps that the construction workers have built too big and yes those are dangerous to drive over with your car unless you want serious damage. THe public has complained about those and the city workers have had to return and trim them down.

Hey I am not arguing about the purpose or reasons behind a sleeping policeman but what I am saying is that when I take the speed bump at 50kph (not 120 kph are you crazy?) then it feels smother to me as I go over it.

It's like when you hit a pot hole on the 400 series highway. You'll hear it louder than you'll feel it. In fact, because of inertia, your car goes right over the pot hole because it doesn't have time to descend into it.  It's a lot better than s-l-o-w-l-y driving over a hole.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:59 pm »
How fast are you traveling in order for the tire to pass OVER a pothole?   :rofl2:  Your mechanic must be getting rich off you.

xviper

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »
It's like when you hit a pot hole on the 400 series highway. You'll hear it louder than you'll feel it. In fact, because of inertia, your car goes right over the pot hole because it doesn't have time to descend into it.  It's a lot better than s-l-o-w-l-y driving over a hole.
Well, I've explained why you don't feel it as much and why it's possibly very damaging to your car.  If you "hear" it, then your car felt it.  I don't believe your car "goes right over it".  Your wheel still begins to drop into the pothole.  It may not reach the bottom of it, but I'll be it sure slams hard into the trailing edge of the pothole lip.  That's when the suspension gets shoved up to and into the bump stop.  Something takes the punishment so you don't feel it.  So no, I don't believe it's a lot better than slowly driving over a hole.  However, if you're happy doing this and you don't believe the car suffers anything bad, well, it's your car.  "Put in new di-lithium crystals, Scotty!  Give me all she's got!"
PS.  Driving over a hole is not quite the same as driving over a speed bump.  One allows the wheel to drop, then get pushed up.  The other just pushes up.  One might eve say that the pothole is far worse.  Those have been known to put alignments out.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:05:03 pm »
If you hit a speed bump and the recommended speed your car goes up and over the speed bump with minimal travel of your suspension.

If you hit it a bit faster your suspension will move a bit and your car may shoot up rapidly wich will cause for an unpleasant ride.

If you add even more speed at some point when you hit the bump your car won't shoot up anymore because your hitting it hard enough to have the suspension engage and take the full force of the bump. The passenger in the car may not feel the bump as much but the car definitely did.
**This is what you did.**

If you add even more speed eventually your suspension will bottom out and you will feel a bang or large bump as your suspensions slams into the strut.

Some times you get those speed bumps with the space in the middle, if you try and put on wheel in the space and the other on the bump you will notice less of the up and over motion. This is because only one of the wheels is hitting the speed bump and your suspension will move. This is somewhat safer because your still hitting the speed bump at a slower speed and your suspension should be able to handle it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:31:03 pm by Zombie »
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 04:24:22 pm »
For the person who have doubts,  a simple test would be run and go thru a 'soft wall', once at low speed, once at high speed. The pain difference would simulate the force the car exerts going thru a speed bump.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »
Best way to handle speed bumps is with a jack hammer.  :)   I have some major speed bump shaped dents on my rocker panels.   They are kind of fun take at full speed on my bicycle. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 05:35:35 pm »
Just clicked...both work for me???

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 05:49:17 pm »
First one took a while to load.   Second one ran fine.