Author Topic: Meet the new TL...Wetson, be glad you got a 2008  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Re: Meet the new TL...Wetson, be glad you got a 2008
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 01:45:55 pm »
I must be the only person who think that car looks great!  I like the angles although this one looks a little more done up than the new TSX (which I love the looks of in person).

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 02:02:06 pm »
I personally think this looks alot better than the new TSX. But it also looks very heavy...

Greg B.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 03:54:44 pm »
Front is an inverted A.

No, it's a kitchen utensil. It slices, it dices, it does a thousand things! Slice tomatoes so thin your guests will NEVER come back! Chop onions and never shed a tear! Make this mountain of cole slaw in just a few seconds!

Those things are ugly enough on a kitchen counter, let alone grafted onto the nose of a vehicle.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 05:44:44 pm »
Thanks Mitlov!  I have one word to say.  PHEW!!!!  I'm glad I didn't wait to see the 09's.  The 08's will probably fly off dealer lots now.  :)  I'm  not even luke warm on the new design.  More like tepid.  UGH. 

The front end reminds me of a back-woods Hillbilly with bad teeth. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 06:25:02 pm »
Our friend Turbo Bob could probably make a killing supplying North American TSX owners with grills from the 2009 Euro-Accord...

:iagree: I know NA tastes are slightly different (if little strange at times  :rofl2:) but that thing is hideous, the euro much is much classier!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

ghost

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »
Maybe Acura hates the TL. So this is their chance to kill it good. :)

von_khan

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »
I dont get it.. are they deliberately trying to sink the marque?
How the heck do you go from two attractive cars like the TSX and TL to their current generation? Clearly there are lots of drugs involved.

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 08:38:33 pm »
How the heck do you go from two attractive cars like the TSX and TL to their current generation? Clearly there are lots of drugs involved.

Honda/Acura has been in a downhill spiral styling-wise ever since the 2006 Civic, IMO.  Something really bizarre is going on in their styling department.  Drugs seem likely.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 09:21:02 pm »
 I understand that styling is subjective and do question the direction Honda/Acura styling lately but should we dismiss the new TL solely on aesthetics? Without a test drive or at a minimum reading some reviews I will reserve final judgment for later. I tend to rank other tangible consideration like performance, handling, and ergonomics over styling.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 09:40:38 pm »
I understand that styling is subjective and do question the direction Honda/Acura styling lately but should we dismiss the new TL solely on aesthetics? Without a test drive or at a minimum reading some reviews I will reserve final judgment for later. I tend to rank other tangible consideration like performance, handling, and ergonomics over styling.

+ 1. We all sound like women buying cars ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »
Make it $45K with the SH-AWD and no one will notice the Jack-O-Lantern face.  They'll have their own :censor:-eating grin from the power and AWD combo...

Mitlov

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 10:06:25 pm »

I like to talk about what I do know instead of speculating about what I don't know.  All we really know about the new TL is this photograph.  So why NOT talk solely about aesthetics?  I'll have all sorts of opinions about the car as a whole once the first-drive reports start pouring in.  For now, I am passing final judgment...but final judgment about its aesthetics, not its mechanicals.

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 12:25:50 am »
i think acura has done a great job of redesigning the tsx, tl and the mdx.   they have developed a very strong visual presence.   i agree the grille work on the tsx and tl are odd but that's an easy fix.  i thought they might follow the mdx grille design which is much more balanced.  adding their version of awd is also a very good move.  it will help establish acura further upmarket from their bread and butter honda division.  add the new v10 nsx soon please.

I do agree with your comment about the MDX design.  Its "shield" is much better than the TL/TSX/RL "guillotine."

-------------------------------

On an unrelated note, I just realized what I really don't like about this.  With both the TSX and TL, they've done very odd things with the fender swells.  They feel forced, like they're trying to be different instead of trying to look good.  With the TL specifically, having a large fender swell over the front wheels but a much more subtle one over the rear suggests FWD to me...which is the very image they're trying to get away from!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 06:13:32 am »
.."we're a coupla swells".............copying the original Santa Fe...yeah STRONG DRUGS man..... :drool: :fall: :spam:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

speed12sil

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 10:45:20 am »
Thanks Mitlov!  I have one word to say.  PHEW!!!!  I'm glad I didn't wait to see the 09's.  The 08's will probably fly off dealer lots now.  :)  I'm  not even luke warm on the new design.  More like tepid.  UGH. 

The front end reminds me of a back-woods Hillbilly with bad teeth. 

IMO the only big flop in terms of the exterior design for the '09 is that fugly bucktooth grill. Everything else is either okay or too bland, which at least shouldn't/doesn't offend most people. Compared to the '08 it now has the option of SH-AWD to handle all that power, instead of just FWD, so it should be easier to sell.

And no even with this the '08 aren't going to fly out the dealerships. Three months back when I went to buy a TL with my friend at a local Acura dealership on a Sat afternoon, they had lots of sales twiddling their thumbs and few customers. I don't see how this would prompt people to rush out to buy the '08s. Besides, G35 is always an attractive alternative now that their interior doesn't look/feel so freaking cheap.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 12:02:09 pm »

Honda/Acura has been in a downhill spiral styling-wise ever since the 2006 Civic, IMO.  Something really bizarre is going on in their styling department.  Drugs seem likely.

Flashbacks from 80's designer drugs!

gmgod

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »
Acura never has had any class this  is no surprise. ;D

gmgod

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 12:42:37 pm »
Another great reason to buy a new CTS. :rofl2:

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:29 pm »
Reminds a Transformer to me, an ugly Transformer btw.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 05:27:54 pm »
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/11/2009-acura-tl-shows-its-face-awd-confirmed/

Yikes. 

On the other hand, Acura confirmed that it will feature the marque's "most powerful engine ever," and SH-AWD will be available.

I am with Ovr50 on the look, it is Jack-o-lantern carving at its best, and  a happy one at that.