Author Topic: Remember the Rabbit Pickup / Dodge Rampage / Ford Ranchero?  (Read 11585 times)

barrie1

Re: Remember the Rabbit Pickup / Dodge Rampage / Ford Ranchero?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:44 pm »
The load limits on the Honda Ridgeline are so low that its basically is not a true truck at all. By its own specs place 6 men in it and 2 motorcycles in the rear and see if it can go up a hill. Its a lightweight grocery getter only and not a true worktruck at all.  :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 11:44:50 pm »
The load limits on the Honda Ridgeline are so low that its basically is not a true truck at all. By its own specs place 6 men in it and 2 motorcycles in the rear and see if it can go up a hill. Its a lightweight grocery getter only and not a true worktruck at all.  :)

My experiences in 1/2 ton GM two door 4wd trucks last week would make me question if they are true "work" trucks as well.

I thought this topic was about 2 door, car based vehicles with pickup like beds?  Not if the Ridgeline or any other vehicle is a work truck or not?  Or am I missing something here?   ??? ???

As for a future market for such a beast (like the G8), I too doubt many would be sold, regardless of who made them.  The old ones are kind of cool and would make neat collector pieces tho.......
2016 Subaru Forester XT

xviper

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:57 am »
I thought this topic was about 2 door, car based vehicles with pickup like beds?  Not if the Ridgeline or any other vehicle is a work truck or not?  Or am I missing something here?   ??? ???

As for a future market for such a beast (like the G8), I too doubt many would be sold, regardless of who made them.  The old ones are kind of cool and would make neat collector pieces tho.......
Indeed it was.  I'm not sure how we got from something like a Rampage/VW type of car-truck thing to a discussion of whether or not something else is a truck at all.  I particularly targeted that type of vehicle because I didn't really want a truck.  I wanted a car that could be used to carry something large once in a while.  I especially wanted something that was FWD so that it was somewhat drivable through the winter months.  A RWD truck, even a compact one like a Ranger (for example), even with snow tires and an empty bed, would slip and slide and wallow like a hippo in mud on any of our typical winter roads.
Then again, not sure if something like a Ford Ranchero belongs in the same category as the other two.  That being the case, the El Camino was left out, as was the Subaru Brat (though mentioned later by someone else) and Baja.
On the topic of the G8 thing with a pick-up bed, was any lesson learned from this ............................ ?

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 12:57:54 am »

On the topic of the G8 thing with a pick-up bed, was any lesson learned from this ............................ ?

I have seen more of those in the last three weeks than in all the time before, 7 so far.  And some very strange colours too   :D

If you are looking for a Rampage type vehicle, I would look for a used Baja as it has a bit more practicality plus the AWD system.  And they did not sell well, so you should be able to get one for a decent price.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 08:00:06 am »
I forgot about the SSR.....but if I recall that was more of a limited production, high cost vehicle.

How's about the Chevy HHR?  They have the windowless 'commercial delivery' version out now - I could see that being fairly successful both with it's retro look and it's appeal to the light-commercial crowd.  Suppose the same thought could apply to the PT Cruiser for that matter - could extend the profitability curve life on the tooling tho.

I'd say, based on what I've read about the HHR and PT was that 'underpowered' was a common coment - but the Rabbit pick-up survived well with it's under 2.0 engines...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:03:56 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

xviper

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:22 am »
I don't consider the HHR or the PT (which I owned) to be a "pick-up" as those don't have open "beds".  As much as we liked the PT, there were times that cargo just wouldn't fit into it (too tall).  Now, if you could take a convertible PT, yank out the back seats, remove the top, make it all weather proof and partition it off from the front passenger area ............................

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:49 am »
I forgot about the SSR.....but if I recall that was more of a limited production, high cost vehicle.

How's about the Chevy HHR?  They have the windowless 'commercial delivery' version out now - I could see that being fairly successful both with it's retro look and it's appeal to the light-commercial crowd.  Suppose the same thought could apply to the PT Cruiser for that matter - could extend the profitability curve life on the tooling tho.

I'd say, based on what I've read about the HHR and PT was that 'underpowered' was a common coment - but the Rabbit pick-up survived well with it's under 2.0 engines...

Someone's done it! Looks pretty neat IMHO. :thumbup:

http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/deg2898/gallery1.htm
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 01:51:10 pm »
 :iagree:  Looks great!

THAT is what I was talking about.  Thanks Big Thumb!

xviper

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 02:00:46 pm »
I don't know .................... Yank the can off and would you have a "Mini-truck"?