Author Topic: Remember the Rabbit Pickup / Dodge Rampage / Ford Ranchero?  (Read 11590 times)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Are there any of these vehicles still being made?  I think the last one here was the Subaru Baja? 

Anyone see a market for this class of vehicle?
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Remember the Rabbit Pickup / Dodge Rampage / Ford Ranchero?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:16 am »
GM Is making the G8 with a bed....

weebl

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:52:02 am »
Isn't that G8 with a bed only for the Aussie market, or are they selling it here now?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:00:43 am »
Isn't that G8 with a bed only for the Aussie market, or are they selling it here now?

In the US next year, don't know about Canada but assuming here as well.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:53 am »
These types of car/pickups sold poorly in the past, and don't see any reason to have them in today's market. A G8 with a bed will be a market failure, IMO.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:15:08 am »

Ask Honda how its unibody Ridgeline is doing.  Seems to be a huge success to me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:31:49 pm »
Hey "PEEPS" and so to BED.......................I am SAM ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:33:37 pm »
Hey "PEEPS" and so to BED.......................I am SAM ;D

WTF?  This is obtuse even for you, Saf.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:22:43 pm »
..ref..."Samuel Pepys Diary.....closure !!!! ;)..."and so to bed...."....... :sleep:

Greg B.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:42:42 pm »

Ask Honda how its unibody Ridgeline is doing.  Seems to be a huge success to me.

They claim it to be a truck, even though it isn't. But that marketing sleight of hand lets them sell a bunch to people who don't know any better.

xviper

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 05:08:33 pm »
I remember them well.  I've owned 2 Dodge Rampages.  One was plowed into be an old guy having a seizure and written off and the other caught fire when my daughter was driving it.  A great concept - a little FWD mini pick up truck for those who only needed to haul a few large items once in a blue moon.  Good in winter without the need for AWD.  Good fuel economy and simple to fix.  Not a bad looking little vehicle either.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
I had a cousin that had an 1981 or so VW Rabbit pickup with the 70hp diesel. He put somewhere around 500K on it before the body rot got too severe to keep up with. It was similar to this one, sans cap.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 05:46:10 pm »

The Ridgeline has four doors and a rear seat and is far more functional for a family hauler.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 11:22:46 pm »

They claim it to be a truck, even though it isn't. But that marketing sleight of hand lets them sell a bunch to people who don't know any better.

What makes it not a truck?  The uni-body?  Jeep Comanche was unit body. 

Sure it's not a work truck, but then a lot of people don't use or under use their pickups - it's just for looks.   Almost like fat guys who wear sneakers but can't run the length of themselves.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 01:03:03 pm »
I had a cousin that had an 1981 or so VW Rabbit pickup with the 70hp diesel. He put somewhere around 500K on it before the body rot got too severe to keep up with. It was similar to this one, sans cap.

What other compact car do you think would 'work' in the spirit of the auto/spliced/truck today?

Maybe the Mazda 5?  Dodge Nitro?

Any decent 'Photoshop'pers out there?  I think these are more popular in South America....does VW still do them there?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 01:31:32 pm »
A G8 with a bed will be a market failure, IMO.

I think it'll fail too, for the reason Snowman mentioned - it has no rear seat or doors! Geez, how many regular cab pick-ups do you see for personal use these days? Not much around here. Plus just think it's too low, a bit awkward, and fuel inefficient - what would the reason for buying one be besides nostalia? That's why I think it'll sell in California and some other US states, but can't see it doing all that well overall. Unless it cost next to nothing, I wouldn't even bother importing them into Canada if I were GM.

Have drooled over the Wagon tho.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 04:46:42 pm »

What other compact car do you think would 'work' in the spirit of the auto/spliced/truck today?

Maybe the Mazda 5?  Dodge Nitro?

Any decent 'Photoshop'pers out there?  I think these are more popular in South America....does VW still do them there?

There is (was?) one converted Tercel pickup that I used to see fairly frequently in Fredericton.

While swinging idly in the hammock one lazy summer afternoon a few years ago, it occurred to me that converting my old Corolla wagon to a mini-pickup wouldn't be that difficult for a skilled body shop. Prolly just as well that I never acted on it.

Starting with a wagon would likely make it easier. Weld in the rear doors, brace the structure, cut the roof and pillars off at the window line, then fab in a bed and tailgate. I could be off by miles though, no bodywork skills at all. :(

B2 has  some excellent photoshop skills, though he doesn't seem to come around much anymore.

xviper

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 05:06:55 pm »
Have you seen those little things that "Red Bull" gives their promo girls to drive around to special events?  Take out that giant can and look what you've got.   ;)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 05:16:41 pm »
Red Bull girls taking out their cans....awrrrrrhhh....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 05:41:13 pm »
 ;D like  RED flag @ a BULL........... :o 8) 8) 8)....doesn't Coulthart Och aye tha noo mF*ckers drive a red BULL SHIP........