Author Topic: Toyota employee dies of overwork  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Toyota employee dies of overwork
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 08:35:42 am »
Thanks.

Most of my working life is in Canada, and the labor law here protects the workers very well, hardly put in any OT that isn't required, and get paid if I did put in OT. Maybe just my experience.

I have always done unpaid overtime, partly a cultural thing, and partly just the industry I work in.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
Bean counters should know better.  :)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 02:10:22 pm »
In a previous job I never was paid for overtime, but I was allowed to bank it. This lead to working massive hours at certain times, usually spring and fall, and taking 2-4 months off in the winter time.

That's why I didn't spend a winter in Canada for ten years. Came back in the spring all refreshed and ready to dive in again.

The last job was a similar position but more normal hours, and without the big break over the winter I felt a bit like a rat in a wheel. If this is the usual thing it is going to take some getting used to.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 03:15:19 pm »
..and here I THO'T TOYOTA Owners Workers died of BOREDOM............... :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 04:49:18 pm »
Eighty hours of OT a month isn't that odd. I was working 60-80 hour weeks from September on last year. Of course, that's paid time . No freebies here! ;D

I know... that's 20 hours a week of OT.  At work, I know of at least three colleagues who consistently work 12+ hours a week of OT... 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 05:30:16 pm »
Bean counters should know better.  :)

There are still lots of beans to count after 5pm.  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 05:35:47 pm »
....PHhhhhhRRRRrrttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt..............there's a bakers dozen fer ya!!!! :fall: :flowers:..has beans eh!!!

gmgod

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 12:37:47 pm »
Japan is like a giant sweatshop with little concern for human life. Now they have brought their work ethic to N.A . Oh Toyota what a sordid web you weave!!!

Greg B.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 02:07:28 pm »
It certainly does seem like a fairly defective society/culture by our standards. What is amazing is that they still seem to be able to produce products that are good despite the overwork/burnout of employees.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 02:13:32 pm »
Japan is like a giant sweatshop with little concern for human life. Now they have brought their work ethic to N.A . Oh Toyota what a sordid web you weave!!!
It certainly does seem like a fairly defective society/culture by our standards. What is amazing is that they still seem to be able to produce products that are good despite the overwork/burnout of employees.

Utter crap.    So a society where the people are hard working, patriotic, loyal to their employers  and follow a common path is  defective and a sweatshop is it?   
Have either of you ever been there and/or worked with Japanese ?

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

gmgod

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 03:12:02 pm »
I love the fact that somebody who drives a car produced in Japan talks about patriotism. Something lacking in N.A society. Except for me of course. ;D

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 04:06:49 pm »
Also, how do we know for sure whether this guy died from "overwork" or simply because of stress pertaining to his job.

I'm fairly certain we all know of at least one person (in Canada) die because of stress-related deseases induced by their work.

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 04:22:30 pm »

Kill it!  Kill it!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 04:34:54 pm »

:notroll:

Change the bandages on your knuckles.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 05:01:07 pm »
I love the fact that somebody who drives a car produced in Japan talks about patriotism. Something lacking in N.A society. Except for me of course. ;D

Actually I drive a German car.  Mrs tpl drives a Japanese car.   I never suggested that I was patriotic... only that the Japanese ( that I have met ) appear to be so.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 05:33:48 pm »
As far as patriotism goes, there has been no such thing as a Canadian owned carmaker since 1918, so we are in the position of the Irish, the New Zealanders, etc, we can buy whatever we want.

Of course if you go by vehicles made here, then Honda (with the Civic, Ridgeline, CSX and MDX) is just as 'Canadian' as GM (W-body/pickup/Equinox) as is Toyota (Corolla/Matrix/Rav4/Lexus SUV).

Tours of the Toyota Cambridge factory can be arranged here:

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada
Visitors can come and watch the entire production of a Toyota vehicle, from stamping up until the final inspection. The site is also home to a visitor's centre. Groups only and reservations are required.
Address: 1055 Fountain St. N. Cambridge  ON  Canada
Telephone 1 519 653-1111

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »
 ::) will they make me screw onna few wheels and a dashboard on the tour.......... ??? :think: >:D

Mitlov

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 05:41:26 pm »
As far as patriotism goes, there has been no such thing as a Canadian owned carmaker since 1918, so we are in the position of the Irish, the New Zealanders, etc, we can buy whatever we want.

Even as an American, I look at it this way.  I don't know anybody who builds cars in Detroit.  I don't know anybody who builds cars in Wolfsburg, Germany, where VW has a plant.  I don't know anybody who builds cars in Hiroshima, Japan, where Mazda has a plant.  I'm sure they're ALL hard-working folks who are ALL just trying to pay their bills and put food on the table for their kids.  Why should I favor one over another?  That's why I buy the car I want, instead of worrying about where on this floating rock it was built.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 06:03:25 pm »
I specifically decided to buy a car that would support the incomes of a third world country...Indiana! ;D

(kidding, kidding... please don't get your knickers knotted! I live in Alabama North for god's sake!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:16:15 am by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 06:04:39 pm »
::) will they make me screw onna few wheels and a dashboard on the tour.......... ??? :think: >:D

No, but the tour definitely isn't for everyone:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WLz6guCuWWw&feature=related