Author Topic: Toyota employee dies of overwork  (Read 8741 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Toyota employee dies of overwork
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:48:39 am »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

weebl

Re: Toyota employee dies of overwork
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:38 pm »
Yikes!

Okay, I'm going home now to preserve my health.   ;)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:45:26 pm »
Yikes!

Well at least CAW workers are safe. They are either out of jobs and not working or in Union jobs where overwork is NEVER an issue.

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:51:58 pm »
I am glad that I don't live in a society where there is a specific word for "dying from overwork."

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:37 pm »
I worked in Asia for 2.5 years in the hi-tech environment, it is an eye opener. Complete different working ethics and culture, some stuff just shake my head.

First for instance, if the department manager for some reason stays after work, everyone stays as well, for no F reason. There was a staff room equipped with the latest coffee makers, (copying western culture), but everyone is so afraid to be seen there for taken a break from work, it never gets used ...

Some company have beds, showers, food for employees stay over night and work. Some workers do it, (even when there is no need), ended up more tired the next few days, not productive at all. But working OT, shows dedication.

The head line can be changed for any company in Asia.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 02:33:19 pm »
Now that's dedication to one's job.   Totally different work ethic and culture.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 03:24:56 pm »

True.  The very fact that the word "karoshi" exists in everyday Japanese language proves that this isn't a Toyota-specific phenomenon.

The anecdotes you tell about dormitories at the workplace so that people don't "have" to go home for the night reminds me of a story I read about Polyphony Digital, the Japanese software company that makes the Gran Turismo series.

unctuous

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:37:14 pm »
Live to Work vs Work to Live.  I prefer the latter.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:59:39 pm »
 ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 09:20:52 pm »

True.  The very fact that the word "karoshi" exists in everyday Japanese language proves that this isn't a Toyota-specific phenomenon.

The anecdotes you tell about dormitories at the workplace so that people don't "have" to go home for the night reminds me of a story I read about Polyphony Digital, the Japanese software company that makes the Gran Turismo series.

I read that article in C&D as well, that designer has a small hideout under his desk. Neat idea.

What bugs me from what I saw is, the work culture in Asia promotes un-productive and un-paid and UN-NESSSARY OT. The amount of time a worker puts in indicates his dedication and loyalty to the company in some way. In my view, deteriorates the actual 40-hour work week productivity and work efficiency.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:08 am »
What? You thought "quantity over quality" was only a North America thing?  ???
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 12:11:57 pm »

??? ???

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 12:18:35 pm »

??? ???

See the post directly above it:

What bugs me from what I saw is, the work culture in Asia promotes un-productive and un-paid and UN-NESSSARY OT. The amount of time a worker puts in indicates his dedication and loyalty to the company in some way. In my view, deteriorates the actual 40-hour work week productivity and work efficiency.

40 hours of excellent-quality work > 80 hours of "I'm burned out and running on empty, but I'm clocked in."

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:44:25 pm »
Thanks.

Most of my working life is in Canada, and the labor law here protects the workers very well, hardly put in any OT that isn't required, and get paid if I did put in OT. Maybe just my experience.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:39 pm »
..why do I have ta put in O.T .."Occupational Therapy.".....bangin' the V.P of FINANCE not goodenuff??? :P 3 BILLIION easteners are doin' OUR WERK.....relax and enjoy it...... :bang: :banana: >:D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:31:42 pm by safristi »

weebl

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:30:35 pm »
..why do I have ta put in O.T .."Occupational Therapy.".....bangin' the V.P of FINANCE not goodenuff??? :P

Nope, it's gotta be the CEO, Saf.   ;)

barrie1

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 02:31:32 pm »
Yikes!

Well at least CAW workers are safe. They are either out of jobs and not working or in Union jobs where overwork is NEVER an issue.
Another useless statement by someone who has not got a clue on what its like to do this type of job. I bet you couldn't last a week on a asembly line in a Caw plant. You would be at home cry :( :( :(ing like a Baby in the 1st coupla days. Weebl have you ever watched co-workers die of lung disases just from going to work but unknowinly  be subjected to PCB's all day and many other lung causing horrible diseases. There was a creek that ran thru our factory and was hooked into our sewers. 1/4 mile up the road is a former Westinghouse factory that has something like 365 tons of pure PCB's that always ran thru that creek. I have witnessed virtually dozs and dozs die who worked there as we only were given a 2 year life span after we left. Its Canada worst enviremental nightmare there is and they are going to start moving it away shortly so they say in the news. This has also killed numerous people who live in the area as well. They have it stored in underground berms at the moment but will start to truck it away shortly for it to be destroyed finally.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:05:36 pm by barrie1 »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 06:12:54 pm »
Eighty hours of OT a month isn't that odd. I was working 60-80 hour weeks from September on last year. Of course, that's paid time . No freebies here! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 08:52:34 pm »
I used to practically live at work.  I joked about why I even bothered renting an apartment and owning a car.  It was easy to do over 40 hours of high quality output since the work was fun and interesting.  I enjoyed going into work each morning.  Double time on Sundays wasn't bad either.  My spouse put an end to that after I got married--something about not spending enough time with the family. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »