Author Topic: Toyota will suspend production of Tundra  (Read 11832 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Toyota will suspend production of Tundra
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 03:10:04 pm »
The A-BAT looks really dumb to me, the GMC Denali XT much slicker execution tho I understand it's more crossover-luxury-like.

Nevertheless, here's another report on what the workers will be doing. Toyota makes such logical long-term guided decisions.

Toyota hunkers down to hold Texas truck market

July 11, 2008 - 11:00 am ET

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Even though full-sized Tundra pickup trucks won't be rolling off the production line of Toyota Motor Corp.'s factory here next month, the world's biggest automaker is keeping 2,000 plant workers on the payroll while it waits out a downturn in demand for its biggest gas-guzzling models.

While its Big Three U.S. rivals are shutting down truck plants and laying off workers, Toyota is hunkering down to keep its foothold in the heart of U.S. truck country.

Toyota will suspend Tundra production at its sprawling San Antonio factory in early August for three months due to slow sales, which are down nearly 50 percent for the first six months of 2008 versus a year earlier. Record U.S. gasoline prices over $4 a gallon have sent consumers scrambling for smaller, more efficient models.

But that doesn't mean the plant's workers won't be busy.

"Team members will continue to report to work and will continue to work as a two-shift operation, and they will continue to be paid 100 percent of wages," said Toyota spokesman Mike de la Garza.

But instead of building trucks, workers will spend their time in "training and development, to continue quality improvement activities, and to perform community service work," Toyota said.

The company's decision has built up considerable good will in a state where big trucks are synonymous with blue-collar oilfield roughnecks and cattle ranchers.

"We're appreciative of the fact that they are sticking with their employees during a very difficult time," said Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, the county's top elected official.

"Very few other companies in the United States would do something like that," he said.

In contrast, General Motors is closing four truck plants in North America and plans to sell or restructure its Hummer SUV brand. Ford Motor Co. has delayed the launch of its redesigned top-selling F-150 pickup truck to clear swollen vehicle inventories.

GM's decision to close a truck plant in Oshawa, Ontario, next year and cut 2,600 unionized jobs was met with a firestorm of protest that included a 12-day blockade of the automaker's Canada headquarters.

Opening the $1.2 billion plant in San Antonio in early 2007 was part of Toyota's public relations campaign to displace big U.S. truck makers like Ford, Chevy and Dodge in Texas, the world's largest market for full-sized pickup trucks.

Toyota said it still plans to move all its Tundra production to San Antonio, shifting current production from a plant in Indiana in the spring of 2009.

Toyota's decision to keep its San Antonio plant workers on the payroll could also be an attempt by the automaker to hold off the United Auto Workers union, which has a stronghold among U.S. automakers and suppliers. So far, attempts by the UAW to unionize Toyota's U.S. plants have been unsuccessful.

Local officials say although Toyota has pledged to continue to pay its employees, some 2,300 people who work for two dozen Toyota supplier companies that ring the truck plant might not be as lucky.

Hit by an industrywide slump in sales of large, gas-guzzling vehicles due to soaring fuel prices, Toyota's sales in the United States, its single biggest market, have fallen 6 percent so far this year. Its sales of light trucks such as SUVs and pickups are down 12.5 percent, forcing it to run its Indiana and Texas light-truck factories at a reduced pace indefinitely.

But Toyota is struggling to keep up with runaway demand for the gasoline-electric Prius model, which saves fuel by capturing energy lost during braking to power an electric motor.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

gmgod

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 12:35:30 pm »
This is TERRIFIC news!!! However little compensation for those 2600 brave souls in Oshawa.

barrie1

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 10:36:48 pm »
How come articsteve didn't tell us about this already?

Where's Barrie with his smug told-ya-so.

Seven posts, and those two aren't here yet?
Gee I thought maybe some commonsence would have been enough for most folks to realize that all the builders in the truck market are hurting right now. Obviously that was more then you could figure out  but I didn't feel the need to kick anybody about it at all. You did tho, it will be remembered. I don't have to slap other products on a constant basis like some of you immature posters on here. You dragged me into this thread with your very cheap comment. We had a dealer here recently who sold slighly used trucks but closed up after stocking his lot up with Used Tundra's which he couldn't geve away for any price.  The GM's,Fords and Dodges sold well for about 3 years prior to this .   :) ;D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 04:10:59 am »
We had a dealer here recently who sold slighly used trucks but closed up after stocking his lot up with Used Tundra's which he couldn't geve away for any price.  T

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

gmgod

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:21 am »
We had a dealer here recently who sold slighly used trucks but closed up after stocking his lot up with Used Tundra's which he couldn't geve away for any price.  T

HA HA HA HA HA.That hurts doesn't it!!!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 09:48:18 am »
How come articsteve didn't tell us about this already?

Where's Barrie with his smug told-ya-so.

Seven posts, and those two aren't here yet?
Gee I thought maybe some commonsence would have been enough for most folks to realize that all the builders in the truck market are hurting right now. Obviously that was more then you could figure out  but I didn't feel the need to kick anybody about it at all. You did tho, it will be remembered. I don't have to slap other products on a constant basis like some of you immature posters on here. You dragged me into this thread with your very cheap comment.

Hey, Barrie:  why don't you call Buzz and ask him to go find your sense of humour.  I think it's gone the way of the 567 engine.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58:03 am »
Glut of trucks pulls Prius to U.S.

Toyota had sought to keep hybrid output in Japan

Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News
July 14, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

Plummeting truck sales last week forced Toyota Motor Corp.'s hand on a difficult decision — moving the hot-selling Prius hybrid to a U.S. factory.

Toyota had been reluctant to let its fast-rising hybrid star get away from its protective watch in Japan. But with consumers shunning pickup trucks and SUVs, Toyota said last week that it will move the Prius not just to America but to a greenfield site in Mississippi with untested workers.

The Blue Springs, Miss., plant had been scheduled to assemble the Highlander SUV.

Sources familiar with the plans said that only a week before the announcement, Toyota officials were still debating whether Prius production should move to the United States.

Wanted: More mpg
Toyota plans to:
• Assemble the Prius in Blue Springs, Miss., at a plant originally scheduled to build the Highlander SUV
• Consolidate Tundra pickup production next spring in San Antonio
• Stop Tundra and Sequoia production beginning Aug. 8 until November

Why not NUMMI?

Toyota had kept Prius production in Japan because suppliers of hybrid powertrain parts are there. Also, industry observers say that Toyota had wanted to keep a watchful eye on the valuable technology, although it does assemble a small number of Priuses in China.

Hybrids use an internal combustion engine and one or more electric motors to power the wheels. On the highway, the Prius gets 45 mpg, while the standard Highlander gets 24 mpg and the Highlander Hybrid gets 25 mpg.

One source said that Toyota has been leaning all year toward assembling the Prius at its 50-50 joint venture with General Motors, New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., in Fremont, Calif. NUMMI, they were assuring themselves, has an experienced work force and is in the middle of green-hungry California.

But last week, the dire outlook for Toyota's trucks in the United States moved the Prius to Mississippi instead. With steel structural beams already standing over the massive building site, Toyota opted to convert the project into a Prius factory. Production will launch in late 2010. Toyota will restyle and re-engineer the car next year.

Tundras in Texas

Toyota must ask as many as seven key SUV suppliers around Blue Springs to alter their own factory plans to produce Prius parts instead of SUV parts. Annual volume is undetermined, the company said. Last year, Toyota sold 181,221 Priuses in the United States. Also not determined is whether a supplier will build propulsion batteries for the Prius in the United States, Toyota said.

Last week, Toyota dealt with another nagging problem: It will consolidate production of Tundra pickups at San Antonio, starting next spring, instead of having both San Antonio and a plant in Princeton, Ind., continue to build Tundras at rates below capacity.

Toyota spent $1.3 billion to open San Antonio in 2006 with expectations that it eventually would sell 25,000 or more of the full-sized pickups a month. The market shift has left Toyota averaging closer to 13,000 a month this year.

Toyota also said it will move the Highlander into the underused Princeton plant, starting in fall 2009. And beginning on Aug. 8, it will suspend production of Tundras and Sequoia SUVs until November.

weebl

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 10:40:26 am »
Good on Toyota for keeping their employees on the payroll while their plant is halted.  That will go a very long way in keeping employee loyalty.  Sounds like they also have quite flexible manufacturing plants to be able to shift around production like that.

I am assuming another factor in not moving Prius production to NUMMI is if they are that watchful over the technology in the Prius, why would they build it in a plant co-run by another manufacturer?

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 10:53:17 am »
Good on Toyota for keeping their employees on the payroll while their plant is halted.  That will go a very long way in keeping employee loyalty.  Sounds like they also have quite flexible manufacturing plants to be able to shift around production like that.

I am assuming another factor in not moving Prius production to NUMMI is if they are that watchful over the technology in the Prius, why would they build it in a plant co-run by another manufacturer?

Well looks like the Toyota union's tactics of strinking at other plants and blockading corporate offices was sucessful in keep the paychecks flowing to the workers in these plants. Just shows what union threats can accomplish as they did with the CAW....

What there was no union or threats in this case the employees were simply treated more than fairly wow. You wouldn't think that without Union that they could keep the plant open like they did in Ottawa..oh wait they didn't keep the plant open despite the threats and tactics.

Oh well. ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 04:10:37 pm »

Well looks like the Toyota union's tactics of strinking at other plants and blockading corporate offices was sucessful in keep the paychecks flowing to the workers in these plants. Just shows what union threats can accomplish as they did with the CAW....

What there was no union or threats in this case the employees were simply treated more than fairly wow. You wouldn't think that without Union that they could keep the plant open like they did in Ottawa..oh wait they didn't keep the plant open despite the threats and tactics.

Oh well. ;D
the name of the rhetorical device you are using in this post escapes me but it surely works.  8) :thumbup:
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

barrie1

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:05 pm »
Rrocket you can say what you want but its true as it was on Hamilton Road in London near Egerton st. The lot is still vacant and has not reopened anywhere in London. He was selling all of lease trucks which were usually around 3-6 years of age at the most. I used to stop in there and check out some of his trucks as his prices were quite decent. He never took trade-ins at all from anyone and sold a lot of trucks. Who wants a used Tundra with the frames rotting out on them. Think about it as I don't know of anyone who would  in this city at all. I have friends who actually bought trucks there until his final mistake of selling 0000 but the one brand. He ukered himself with that dumb move. You go get some of them trucks and tell me if you can sell them easily yourself. I dare you as you will lose your shirt at the moment on that brand.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 11:12:23 pm »
Again I say BS.  Trying to say the reason they close is just because of Tundras is pure BS.  Nice try though.  Stupid gas prices likely had nothing to do with it, huh?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:50 pm »
Rrocket you can say what you want but its true as it was on Hamilton Road in London near Egerton st. The lot is still vacant and has not reopened anywhere in London. He was selling all of lease trucks which were usually around 3-6 years of age at the most. I used to stop in there and check out some of his trucks as his prices were quite decent. He never took trade-ins at all from anyone and sold a lot of trucks. Who wants a used Tundra with the frames rotting out on them. Think about it as I don't know of anyone who would  in this city at all. I have friends who actually bought trucks there until his final mistake of selling 0000 but the one brand. He ukered himself with that dumb move. You go get some of them trucks and tell me if you can sell them easily yourself. I dare you as you will lose your shirt at the moment on that brand.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :)

Your not on the sauce again are ya  ???

He was selling all of lease trucks which were usually around 3-6 years of age at the most. [/b]

Ok, so the Tundra that is the topic of this thread is only 2 model years old so how did this fictitious used Tundra dealer, who has already packed up, have these vehicles on his lot if they are off lease  ???

Barrie, if your going to tell one of your many tales, at least give it some thought.  I vote this as your lamest attempt.  :)

gmgod

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
I think we can all sleep easier at night knowing they won't be making as many of these hazardous eyesores. ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008, 09:08:50 pm »

gmgod

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008, 09:14:33 pm »
That's ugly. :eye:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 09:34:53 pm »
20% staff lay off is as ugly as anything gets.  :P :P

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »
..... Who wants a used Tundra with the frames rotting out on them. Think about it as I don't know of anyone who would  in this city at all. ...

So you are saying that all Tundras have frame rot problems?  Care to back that up?  Would be a very useful thing to know for anyone looking to buy a P/U for sure.  Thanks in advance     :)
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:20 pm »
I think he confused Tacoma with Tundra.   Toyota was buying back some earlier generation Tacomas with frame rot if I recall. 

Tundra had transmission and tailgate problems in 2007.  Not sure if a Japanese Tundra exec or two had to commit ritual suicide for bringing dishonour to Toyota. 

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,54774.0.html

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 11:57:53 pm »
There were and are no problems with the tailgate on Tundras.  It was all internet crap.  The Tacoma tailgate is a little soft as it bent in the middle so it finally wouldn't close.  Warranty  :)