Author Topic: Toyota will suspend production of Tundra  (Read 11818 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Toyota will suspend production of Tundra
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 02:25:40 pm »
How come articsteve didn't tell us about this already?

Where's Barrie with his smug told-ya-so.

Seven posts, and those two aren't here yet?

Sorry, didn't get up till noon.  :)

All I know is a Tundra Hybrid is coming to the Texas plant with the 4.7, a sh*t load of batteries in it, rated at 8500 lbs. towing and 40 mpg.

Also small displacement Tundra diesel is coming with 4.5 litre in a V8. 

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 02:32:27 pm »
Every time I post on this forum I get personally attacked.  Never happens to me on any other forum...

...then go and stay there...this is what we call Canadian to the point facking frankness...get it eh?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 02:39:15 pm »
That's going to be the next race, building big pickups that get good mileage. Lots of the existing expensive to run pickups are going to be coming off-lease in the next few years, and the owners are going to be looking hard for something to replace them.

Talking to one of my buddies in BC the other day, it's costing him $200.00 to fill up his hemi.

Should be lots of interesting developments coming up with small diesels/hybrids/Ford's Ecotech, etc. Luckily a lot of that stuff was in the product pipeline already.

unctuous

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 02:52:06 pm »
...then go and stay there...this is what we call Canadian to the point facking frankness...get it eh?

Last time I checked we still live in a free country :popo:.  Its funny how authors of anti-domestic comments don't ever get flamed on this forum.   If I buy a Toyota can I play with you guys?

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 03:39:01 pm »
NO :bang: :stfu:

weebl

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 04:11:05 pm »
If I buy a Toyota can I play with you guys?

Buy whatever you want.  It won't change what we think one bit.

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 04:17:46 pm »
All I know is a Tundra Hybrid is coming to the Texas plant with the 4.7, a sh*t load of batteries in it, rated at 8500 lbs. towing and 40 mpg.

Right.  And is this information from the same source that told you that a production Tundra with a Hino inline-six diesel was going to absolutely revolutionize the truck market?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 04:49:21 pm »
 Building tha HOT PRIUS ( Oxymoron alert)  in...TUPELO Mississippi.............is Elvis in that building...... a Huh ..aah Huh ??? ??? ::) :P...don't step on my BLUE /GREEN suede shoes.............
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:51:44 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 05:29:49 pm »

Right.  And is this information from the same source that told you that a production Tundra with a Hino inline-six diesel was going to absolutely revolutionize the truck market?

They do have most of the work done for the hybrid in a pickup truck.  At one point they were mulling putting the A-BAT concept into production.  Barring that, maybe they'll just take the guts out of it and put it into the Tundra??

We've already done new/reworked headlight lenses for the Tundra.  Not sure if it was just for a refresh look, or if the front end was altered to accomodate a new powerplant.  All I know is the Tundra will have a tweaked front end look...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 06:28:04 pm »

Last time I checked we still live in a free country :popo:.  Its funny how authors of anti-domestic comments don't ever get flamed on this forum.   If I buy a Toyota can I play with you guys?

I'm not anti domestic, don't drive a Toyota, I drive a Nissan.  I recognize the domestic flops and the good, lately there is a lot more good than bad, it's coming along but there will still be pains. So there, you came here making comments that are unacceptable in this society today, there are people here of different nationalities behind those names. 

Mitlov

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 07:08:48 pm »

They do have most of the work done for the hybrid in a pickup truck.  At one point they were mulling putting the A-BAT concept into production.  Barring that, maybe they'll just take the guts out of it and put it into the Tundra??

We've already done new/reworked headlight lenses for the Tundra.  Not sure if it was just for a refresh look, or if the front end was altered to accomodate a new powerplant.  All I know is the Tundra will have a tweaked front end look...

I'm familiar with the A-Bat.  It's significantly smaller than a Tacoma; more the scale of a Chevy Colorado or the older Toyota compact pickups.  It's also a unibody design with a hybrid four-cylinder powerplant.  Probably meant to be for a RAV4 what a Ridgeline is to a Pilot.  Actually, the Subaru Baja is probably a better analogy.

If you could take the guts from a RAV4 Hybrid Pickup, attach it to a 4.7L V8 inside a half-ton chassis, and manage 40 mpg, you're using some secret alien technology.

The other possibility is that this alleged 40mpg Tundra is a plug-in hybrid, in which case (with enough batteries) it could get as high a MPG rating as you want, because gasoline is not the only source of its locomotion.  You have to take mpg ratings for plug-in hybrids with a grain of salt (and that's regardless of manufacturer).  Sure, it went 80 miles and only used two gallons of gasoline, but how many kWh did it use from the wall socket during that 80-mile trip?  You can't ignore half of the equation and get a realistic representation of its energy efficiency.

It's interesting that Toyota is already redesigning the headlights on the Tundra, but to me that doesn't suggest a dramatic new drivetrain, especially with Artic's improbable numbers.  I mean, Ford tweaked the aesthetics of the new Focus after just one year of production, and the tweaked version didn't have rocket boosters or laser guns.  It just looked a little better, nothing more.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:11:16 pm by Mitlov »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 07:23:16 pm »
Yea...I figure it's just a refresh.  Also working on new Sienna lighting too...

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 08:47:29 pm »
Also working on new Sienna lighting too...

HOLY COW!  I'VE BEEN WAITING ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT FOR A FACELIFTED SIENNA!!!  MY PULSE IS RACING  MILE A MINUTE!!!

Hey, I couldn't pass that one up ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:46 pm »
^^Just to keep your pulse pounding...working on new Taurus lighting too!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:37 pm »
Did you know that there's no word in Japanese for 'pickup truck'?

They call it Pickup truck. The Japaneses language adopts the English sounds, and make the word as their own. They have word that sounds like Ice Cream, which is actual mean Ice Cream.

That aside, what is the point? I mean, I didn't speak any English when I came to Canada, now I said the F words better than a lot of people born here, so what?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 09:36:31 pm »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:47 pm »

The Hino is going into the 3/4 and 1 ton Tundra which Toyota has yet to launch.  Try and understand there are two basic pickup truck categories; 1/2 ton and 3/4-1 ton.

I don't know that I would use your term "revolutionize", but it's going to steal as much of this domestic market as it has done with the domestic passenger car market .... and then some.  :)     

Mitlov

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:27 am »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 01:49:34 am »
Looked good at auto show..

unctuous

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 10:45:31 am »
So there, you came here making comments that are unacceptable in this society today, there are people here of different nationalities behind those names. 

Not sure how you are interpreting my comments.  I don't know what the nationality behind the name has to do with anything.  I realize this forum is extremely PC,  but I don't think my comments should offend hyphenated Canadians.  And if they do I apologize and promise not to put up a Christmas tree next year.