Author Topic: Buzz Retiring  (Read 5275 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Buzz Retiring
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
What I find interesting is the idea that the next president is more or less anointed by the executive, and then presented to the delegates for a vote; despite however many people are running, the executive makes it clear who is the chosen one that will be voted for. 

Wouldn't want any democracy or anything to interfere with union politics.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 01:17:44 pm »
BUZZ OFFED............ :eye: :sleep:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »
Ken Lewenza was officially named the new President.  Say "bye bye" to more jobs....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 12:50:07 am »
Lets hope he gets rid of the outside contractors who are NOT unionized who make parts for the Big  as his 1st step. As far as Buzz's rights and pension figures you are all totally clueless on what he will receive from HIS EMPLOYEER and Not the CAW at all. The age of 65 is agreed upon as a way of giving jobs to youger people in Canada as in the states they stayed well into their 80's and would not leave. The health Benfits were the reason and the NO cut clause for palnt closures years ago that the US got but we didn't. They gave up their cola for that and we didn't. Buzz will retire with whatever his hourly rate was from his employeer when he goes and not a penny more. He has already made the extra by being paid for 7-12 hour shifts a week as he is always on Duty while being the president and thats the way it is. He has been a extremely good leader who ran up against a lot of liars in business and a crooked Gov who does 000 for its own people.  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 05:22:26 am »
Barrie I think you have answered my question, thank you.

I wondered who he worked for and who would pay his pension and now I see it is the ( presumably) car company.

Does Mr Hargrove get a pension from the union?  or is he a Big 3 employee and therefore gets a pension from them ?  Or none of the above?      I can't see him going back to the assembly line  for 6 months until he turns 65 but you never know... maybe he wants to get back to his roots.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 06:48:12 am »
Did the Union get it clear with the Ontario government to work 84 hours /week ???
Anything over 60 must get cleared

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 01:15:36 pm »
Lets hope he gets rid of the outside contractors who are NOT unionized who make parts for the Big  as his 1st step. As far as Buzz's rights and pension figures you are all totally clueless on what he will receive from HIS EMPLOYEER and Not the CAW at all. The age of 65 is agreed upon as a way of giving jobs to youger people in Canada as in the states they stayed well into their 80's and would not leave. The health Benfits were the reason and the NO cut clause for palnt closures years ago that the US got but we didn't. They gave up their cola for that and we didn't. Buzz will retire with whatever his hourly rate was from his employeer when he goes and not a penny more. He has already made the extra by being paid for 7-12 hour shifts a week as he is always on Duty while being the president and thats the way it is. He has been a extremely good leader who ran up against a lot of liars in business and a crooked Gov who does 000 for its own people.  :)

Amen all those lowlife scumbags who work work for non unionized companies don't deserve to be able to feed their families or clothe their kids. Only union meber should be allow to do that. Imagine all those people who think they have the right to earn a living.

Such a joke from someone who compains on and on that forigen compaines are taking our jobs and that we'll all be out of work but has no issue putting his neighbour out of work becuse he's "non union". So CAW has plans in place to employ all the amployees from non union contracting companies when they lose their jobs?

Leaders are measured on results. Right now Buzzs results aren't loooking so good. If his sucessor continues to tow the same line and have the same results as Buzz has recently things are looking pretty poor for CAW.

Blaming government might make you feel better but its not going to put more union members to work or help them feed their families. Its a fact that the tactics that were used by Buzz in the past are NOT working now. The reason why doesn't matter the results do. Adapt or die.

barrie1

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 02:41:06 pm »
Whats the matter Toolatecrew are you jealous that you don't work there at a CAW shop. Sure sounds like it to me for sure. Thank You TPL for your polite reply and I don't know for sure if Buzz did work for a automotive company or not as there are many smaller companies who are CAW but are not of a automotive nature in Business. The Nurse of Canada have joined the CAW in my area here They are all eligible for the job at the top if they wish to run for it. 3M in London which is headoffice is a CAW member for the workers on the floor and they produce sandpaper and audio and photo type of tapes as well. Very little if anything much for the auto industry anywhere. I often wonder just how much some folks on here read the news as the articles on the Japanes and their unfair trade practises have been in the papers quite often this year and for at least 5 years or more as well. I for one have viewed them twice already this week and also witnessed several interviews on the world news as well regarding this topic. Its ar from being over but we just keep going down as our Gov sits on its butts and does nothing.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 05:06:37 am »
I often wonder just how much some folks on here read the news as the articles on the Japanes and their unfair trade practises have been in the papers quite often this year and for at least 5 years or more as well. I for one have viewed them twice already this week and also witnessed several interviews on the world news as well regarding this topic.

Link?  I'd like to see the unfair trade practices you are referring to...Link?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 07:00:50 am »
Every country has  taxes and restrictions on car imports Barrie.   Canada has 6% duty and until last month, specific bumper restrictions.  Other places insist on RHD, amber tail lights and so on.   Singapore and Australia have ENORMOUS import duties and Singapore even, IIRC, has a quota for imports.  In Japan, at least in Tokyo, you have to prove you have a suitable parking space before you can licence a car.

so there.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 11:05:24 am »
Whats the matter Toolatecrew are you jealous that you don't work there at a CAW shop. Sure sounds like it to me for sure. Thank You TPL for your polite reply and I don't know for sure if Buzz did work for a automotive company or not as there are many smaller companies who are CAW but are not of a automotive nature in Business. The Nurse of Canada have joined the CAW in my area here They are all eligible for the job at the top if they wish to run for it. 3M in London which is headoffice is a CAW member for the workers on the floor and they produce sandpaper and audio and photo type of tapes as well. Very little if anything much for the auto industry anywhere. I often wonder just how much some folks on here read the news as the articles on the Japanes and their unfair trade practises have been in the papers quite often this year and for at least 5 years or more as well. I for one have viewed them twice already this week and also witnessed several interviews on the world news as well regarding this topic. Its ar from being over but we just keep going down as our Gov sits on its butts and does nothing.  :)

Nope I'm quite happy working for a company that is expanding and not laying off workers by the 1000s.

Nice job of sidestepping your stement though and not adressing your theory that non union workers have less of a right to a job than union workers.

What is CAW currently doing to putthiose 1000s of displaced workers back to work? What initiatives are they spearheading to make Canada an attractive place for auto manufactures to build new plants and bring jobs to Canada instead of elsewhere? I'm not as "up" on this CAW stuff as you are so maybe you could fill us all in on the proactive intitiatives CAW is involved in so we don't get blinded by all the media that just talks about CAW trying to protect the existing jobs and the status quo?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 11:23:09 am »
Ah the unions....

A dedicated CAW union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, 'Is this a union house?'

'No,' she replied, 'I'm sorry it isn't.'

'Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?'

'The house gets $80 and the girls get $20,' she answered.

Offended at such unfair dealings, the union man stomped off down the street in search of a more equitable, hopefully unionized shop. His search continued until finally he reached a brothel where the Madam responded, 'Why yes sir, this is a union house. We observe all union rules.'

The man asked, 'And if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?'
'The girls get $80 and the house gets $20.
'That's more like it!' the union man said.

He handed the Madam $100, looked around the room, and pointed to a stunningly attractive blonde.

'I'd like her,' he said.

'I'm sure you would, sir,' said the Madam.

Then she gestured to a 92-year old woman in the corner, 'but Ethel here has 67 years seniority and according to union rules, she's next.'

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 12:40:05 pm »
Lets hope he gets rid of the outside contractors who are NOT unionized who make parts for the Big  as his 1st step.

Yeah.  Because increasing costs is exactly what the Detroit 3 need right now.  Haven't they been saying all along, "If only our costs where higher, then we'd really be smoking!"   ::)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 12:52:56 pm »
Lets hope he gets rid of the outside contractors who are NOT unionized who make parts for the Big  as his 1st step.

Yeah.  Because increasing costs is exactly what the Detroit 3 need right now.  Haven't they been saying all along, "If only our costs where higher, then we'd really be smoking!"   ::)

I'd be interested to see how the CAW can dictate who the parts suppliers to their employers are?

GM; Well we are look at supplier A who will make parts for $10 who are non union and Supplier B at $15 who are union.

CAW: Well you have to use a union shop.Otherwise we will refuse to use the parts and assemble the cars.

GM:So if we don't use the union made parts we'll just close the plant down and put you all out of work and move the production to the US were we can use whatever supplier we want?

CAW:Yup

GM: Ok so all the palnt workers will be out iof a job, the union parts makers will be out of a job (becuase there is no demand for the parts) and the non union parts makers out of a job? You'd rather see 3000 people out of work that see maybe 300 union parts makers out of work?

CAW YUP

GM: OK So lets say we buy the $15 union parts are you taking a wage cut?

CAW: Well no we expect our fair share of the profits so no wage cuts.

GM So we now make $5 less per car becuase of buying the more espensive parts so the profits are going DOWN. Even if you take a wage freeze your "share" of the "profits" (as a %) has just gone up not down.

CAW: Guess it has YAAYYY Union.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 03:57:01 pm »

I'd be interested to see how the CAW can dictate who the parts suppliers to their employers are?

GM; Well we are look at supplier A who will make parts for $10 who are non union and Supplier B at $15 who are union.

CAW: Well you have to use a union shop.Otherwise we will refuse to use the parts and assemble the cars.

GM:So if we don't use the union made parts we'll just close the plant down and put you all out of work and move the production to the US were we can use whatever supplier we want?

GM: Ok so all the palnt workers will be out iof a job, the union parts makers will be out of a job (becuase there is no demand for the parts) and the non union parts makers out of a job? You'd rather see 3000 people out of work that see maybe 300 union parts makers out of work?

CAW YUP

GM So we now make $5 less per car becuase of buying the more espensive parts so the profits are going DOWN. Even if you take a wage freeze your "share" of the "profits" (as a %) has just gone up not down.

CAW YUP