Author Topic: Buzz Retiring  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: Buzz Retiring
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:30:52 pm »
Buzz isn't retiring so much as being forced to retire.  65 and out is the rule for the CAW for Buzz's position.

Ken Lewenza, current president of CAW Local 444, the militant barking mouth piece from Windsor is trying to get Buzz's position.  If he does, say goodbye to more jobs and possibly future investment in Canada. He said he won't go down the road the UAW has by making concession and cuts to save jobs. Like Buzz, he says the loss of jobs is not because of high wages, but because of "unfair trade practices" and rising oil costs.  Same old same old.  ::)

What the CAW needs is a young, educated, progressive individual who can face reality and understands that first they have to be competitive with the US even before they can try to be competitive with places like Mexico and other countries....But that would require sacrifice and change..and the CAW has never been about that...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:38:52 pm »
Forced out? So he got blamed for the last contract signed with GM and plant closure then.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:12:10 pm »
Forced out? So he got blamed for the last contract signed with GM and plant closure then.

No...did you read what I wrote?   65 is the forced retirement age for CAW President's position.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:14:23 pm »

No...did you read what I wrote?   65 is the forced retirement age for CAW President's position.

Interesting...

Wasn't there some recent ruling about forced retirement at 65? Amazing that a union would force a guy out! ;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:23:06 pm »
I suppose the union could change the mandatory age 65 retirement rule for the union execs with a vote.   The execs can tell the membership how to vote.  Wasn't there some big stink from some of the union staff saying they're being told how/who vote or nominate for the new president? 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:27:37 pm »
I doesn't matter.  Neither of the candidates are forward thinking enough....you'll be hearing the same BS from the CAW forever..which is a shame.  And they'll price themselves out of the market and losing all the jobs with them..which is the bigger shame/crime...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:56:29 pm »

:) You said something? ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »
^^Heh... :) No..I WROTE something....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 09:13:18 pm »
Buzz isn't retiring so much as being forced to retire.  65 and out is the rule for the CAW for Buzz's position.

Ken Lewenza, current president of CAW Local 444, the militant barking mouth piece from Windsor is trying to get Buzz's position.  If he does, say goodbye to more jobs and possibly future investment in Canada. He said he won't go down the road the UAW has by making concession and cuts to save jobs. Like Buzz, he says the loss of jobs is not because of high wages, but because of "unfair trade practices" and rising oil costs.  Same old same old.  ::)

What the CAW needs is a young, educated, progressive individual who can face reality and understands that first they have to be competitive with the US even before they can try to be competitive with places like Mexico and other countries....But that would require sacrifice and change..and the CAW has never been about that...

???  :rofl: Young, educated, progressive individuals do not need a union to succeed. Buzzard makes $100k a year, hardly incentive for a person with intelligence.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 09:17:12 pm »
Does Mr Hargrove get a pension from the union?  or is he a Big 3 employee and therefore gets a pension from them ?  Or none of the above?      I can't see him going back to the assembly line  for 6 months until he turns 65 but you never know... maybe he wants to get back to his roots.

He was asked on BNN today if he was being approached to run in the next federal election. He said that he had no intention of becoming a politician.... I hope he was telling the truth.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:43 pm »

???  :rofl: Young, educated, progressive individuals do not need a union to succeed. Buzzard makes $100k a year, hardly incentive for a person with intelligence.

I bet a lot of history majors would love to make 1/2 of that :D

gta_driver

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 09:35:08 pm »
There are actually a good number of CAW members who don't take the CAW gospel hook line and sinker. They're actually aware of what's really going on in the world. I rub shoulders with these people daily. Some of these people hold high positions in the union locals. Unfortunatly the views of these CAW members are kept under lock and key by the more militant uneducated factions who fear both knowledge and reality and would rather live in the narrow view of their imagined world as it crumbles.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:50:30 pm »

I bet a lot of history majors would love to make 1/2 of that :D

I do! I have a History degree and it was some tough slogging in recent months as I got my career back on track. I did go back to school after Queen's for some more education (the adage of University being for an education and College being for a career is true in my case).

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 12:20:29 am »

Yep, agree with that thought. Why would young, educated, progressive individuals even consider being in or leading a union?? An oxymoron if ever there was one.  ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 12:22:35 am »
^^I was saying that's what the union needs.........But it will never happen.....

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 12:43:30 am »
$100K a year, full pension ... why would there be any regrets? Workers losing jobs is no longer his concern.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:49:47 am »
Reminds me of the song:  "Won't Get Fooled Again", by The Who:

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

::) :P >:(
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 12:36:28 pm »

This is why the CAW is doomed long term.

It will never happen but the only way to save themselves is to get a president from OUTSIDE the union.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »
Reminds me of the song:  "Won't Get Fooled Again", by The Who:

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

::) :P >:(

BOSS is the one actually writing the cheques and paying the money ... hence lays the big problem of the relationship between CAW & GM.