Author Topic: Is this for real? Glad I don't own one...  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Is this for real? Glad I don't own one...
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:46:24 am »
I've heard of depreciation, but wow! - almost $60,000 in two years, and the car's only got 9500 km's on it!   :o I can't imagine the hit the previous owner took when he traded this little gem in. I find it amazing that people can throw away money like this and apparently think nothing of it.  ;D

edit spelling mistake
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:56:04 am by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Is this for real? Glad I don't own one...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:40:06 pm »
It's all relative I suppose...

I'm sure someone making minimum wage and cannot afford a car thinks trading in a car every 4 years and losing $20,000 in depreciation may have the same reaction to many folks on this board.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:33:09 pm »

I'm sure someone making minimum wage and cannot afford a car thinks trading in a car every 4 years and losing $20,000 in depreciation may have the same reaction to many folks on this board.

Your point's well taken, but it makes no sense to me why ANYONE does that. Trading in cars in every couple of years just because is pretty stupid IMHO because that's when they depreciate most - you might as well burn that money.  I've always kept my cars for a long time to get the most value from them and only traded them in when I really needed to, so I consider depreciation simply as part of the cost of ownership, like gas and maintenance. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:06:43 pm »
...so I consider depreciation simply as part of the cost of ownership, like gas and maintenance. 

It's typically the single largest expense in operating a motor vehicle.  The best way to mitigate the expense is to buy used, and if new, buy inexpensive models that hold their value well.  Luxury brands are killers.  I knew a fellow with an Audi A8, and the depreciation was unreal.  Incredibly, he sold it for about the same as a similar year Accord would sell for, despite the $100K original price.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:17:45 pm »

Your point's well taken, but it makes no sense to me why ANYONE does that. Trading in cars in every couple of years just because is pretty stupid IMHO because that's when they depreciate most - you might as well burn that money.  I've always kept my cars for a long time to get the most value from them and only traded them in when I really needed to, so I consider depreciation simply as part of the cost of ownership, like gas and maintenance. 

Surely if you can afford it why not?  Everyone has a different perception of what is expensive and what is not.  For some having a brand new SL is worth the loss when it comes to selling it.  When you buy a new model brand new, you see very few on the road, it's the exclusivity that people pay for.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:15:11 pm »

Your approach is very smart financially, but for those who have too much money, why not?  I'm certainly not going to lecture anyone who can afford an SL500 on finances.  So they spend money on cars - if you can afford it, more power (literally) to you.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:18:49 pm »
Some people have money to burn and don't care about depreciation.  It is kind of nice driving a car not many other people on the road are driving.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:38 pm »
 When people have 100's of millions, spending 1 or 2 million for fun means very little.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:21 pm »
 ::) ??? U takin' ta ME...PUNK..... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

xviper

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:27:04 pm »
"You get what you pay for."  So I've been told.  What did the first guy get for $60K that the next owner didn't get?  Theories of relativity aside, what did those 60 large buy the first owner?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:37:37 pm »
The ability to park a $150,000 vehicle in his garage ... and show people he has the money to do it.

xviper

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:00:38 pm »
"The ability to park a $150,000 vehicle in his garage ... and show people he has the money to do it."

That's not good value for me, but I guess if you can light a cigar with a hundred dollar bill, it is worth it.  But that's getting into "things are relative".  Isn't there a term that can be applied to such a material possession?  The word just escapes me for the time being.   :-X

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 07:17:33 pm »
$60000 is a huge expense even if you are a multi millionaire. Perhaps if you can write off part of the vehicle it can offset this a bit. Then again some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on golf and other of life's luxuries. Like others I would snag a 2-3 year old model and appreciate the savings. For others the allure of a brand new luxury auto built to their requests is a Siren call that cannot be avoided.

The funny thing is that many of these folks will be the same one beating me up over a few dollars on a medical device I am trying to sell them or cross shopping a TV to save a few $s; then lose tens of thousands of dollars in depreciation! :o

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
Wouldn't it have been cheaper for the guy to lease it for 2 years?  Payments couldn't have been more than $2,000 a month...  that's $48,000 in 2 years, as opposed to $60,000 depreciation hit. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:15 pm »
"The ability to park a $150,000 vehicle in his garage ... and show people he has the money to do it."

That's not good value for me, but I guess if you can light a cigar with a hundred dollar bill, it is worth it.  But that's getting into "things are relative".  Isn't there a term that can be applied to such a material possession?  The word just escapes me for the time being.   :-X

Forget Paris?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:06 pm »
$60000 is a huge expense even if you are a multi millionaire. Perhaps if you can write off part of the vehicle it can offset this a bit. Then again some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on golf and other of life's luxuries. Like others I would snag a 2-3 year old model and appreciate the savings. For others the allure of a brand new luxury auto built to their requests is a Siren call that cannot be avoided.

The funny thing is that many of these folks will be the same one beating me up over a few dollars on a medical device I am trying to sell them or cross shopping a TV to save a few $s; then lose tens of thousands of dollars in depreciation! :o

Most people with expensive cars I know own business(es), and the vehicle expenses does not come out of personal accounts.

xviper

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:13:20 pm »
Forget Paris?
Pretty tough to forget Paris.  The image of her bobbing up and down riding the corn dog express is quite memorable.  Aside from all of this, we all know what Paris is all about, eh?

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 08:18:56 pm »
Surely if you can afford it why not?  Everyone has a different perception of what is expensive and what is not.  For some having a brand new SL is worth the loss when it comes to selling it.  When you buy a new model brand new, you see very few on the road, it's the exclusivity that people pay for.

:iagree:

This year, I blew a few hundred dollars on a video game system and video games.  They have catastrophic depreciation and no redeeming social value.  Some would see that as a total waste.  But so what?  It's my money, I could afford it, and it was fun for me.  This is the same thing, for someone who has a lot more money.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 08:25:56 pm »
Maybe it was a Markus Naslund car, signing with the Rangers, he will not need a car in the big Apple

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:38 pm »

:iagree:

This year, I blew a few hundred dollars on a video game system and video games.  They have catastrophic depreciation and no redeeming social value.  Some would see that as a total waste.  But so what?  It's my money, I could afford it, and it was fun for me.  This is the same thing, for someone who has a lot more money.

Exactly, I find it quite amusing when people complain and judge other people spending priorities without understanding the individual’s situation, very immature.