Author Topic: So many GM brands.....  (Read 49857 times)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Re: So many GM brands.....
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2008, 09:31:15 am »
how about each division get a part of the world but they all sell the same product.   so buick cobalt in china, opel cobalt in germany, pontiac cobalt in africa, etc etc

Won't work, regional product mix needs to be be different for many reasons.

I wouldn't sell Buick. I said abandon in NA only because of the Brand's success in AP. Selling would invite competition in you already tough market. I think that eventually the NA market will look more like the European market with a handful of larger competitors each with around 10% market share.....just my 2 cents.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • car nut, hockey fan and dog lover
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 BMW 335I, 2005 Ford Focus, 2001 Ford Ranger
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2008, 04:15:25 pm »
It's a complex problem with far too many answers.

Rick Waggoner is like the George Bush of GM. If GM actually had a Board and Executive that could turn this around I would be more comforted, but giving this problem to Waggoner and the Board to solve is like asking the smart-alecky kid in grade 4 to solve all the problems of the local school board. He may quick with the quips, but has no idea how to implement any real and sustaining changes. To this very day it's still all about the price of the shares, and the most recent moves were nothing more than to raise the share price. When GM is serious about turning the ship around we will witness real changes. Marques will be eliminated, and engineering and research will become the primary focus, not the bean-counters and Wall Street.
"It's a great day for hockey!" "Badger" Bob Johnson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2008, 04:55:09 pm »
If GM actually had a Board and Executive that could turn this around I would be more comforted, but giving this problem to Waggoner and the Board to solve is like asking the smart-alecky kid in grade 4 to solve all the problems of the local school board. He may quick with the quips, but has no idea how to implement any real and sustaining changes.

I agree in part, but you'd be amazed at how many execs just fall into group-think and go along with the strategies of more charismatic execs that shout louder.  I'm of the opinion that some top managers are pretty lazy and coast along on the results of their people, and actually do little work, they need new people at the top who aren't afraid of change.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:08 pm »
I wouldn't sell Buick simply because GM needs to sell vehicles at higher price points to support the ones at lower.

It's hard to convince people to buy into a new brand - moreso luxury brand - without making either a REALLY excellent product or offering it at an exceptional pricepoint.

With Buick, I do still see the brand as somewhat upscale. Not for me at this point in my life, but something of a common --err, 'accessable' traditional luxury type brand. With better products it would be a more credible brand, and one GM could do some intelligent platform sharing with Cadillac or Saab and share the costs of engineering across more volume. That said, if GM tries to make it more hip like and firm it up, really is little point.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2008, 06:12:01 pm »
how about each division get a part of the world but they all sell the same product.   so buick cobalt in china, opel cobalt in germany, pontiac cobalt in africa, etc etc

I think this was already done - I have seen Chevrolet Alero (Oldsmobile) in Israel and I heard of a Chevrolet Corsa (Opel) in South America.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2008, 10:38:07 am »
Some leaked slides of the new GM models. Do you guys think they would work? Personally I think that the Caddies and Chevy may work, but the 9-4x... it seems like a CRX with a Saab fascia. Once again, I think it's time for Saab to go up for sale.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/18/leaked-slides-preview-gms-future/

UPDATE: Edmunds has a slide with the new Equinox. It will be a mid-size CUV, based on the Malibu platform. It seems like GM still believes in one-size-up theory so no compact SUV to compete with the RAV4, CRV, Rogue, Outlander, Forester.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=129330#3
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:58:37 am by carcrazy »

Leviathan

« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2008, 12:52:34 pm »
no compact SUV to compete with the RAV4, CRV, Rogue, Outlander, Forester.
Saturn Vue is smallish but could drop a few LBs.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2008, 03:58:08 pm »

I find Vue's size-cargo-weight-fuel economy combination kind of hard to swallow. Yes, theoretically it should compete with those, but in reality it kind of looses on all fronts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:01:20 pm by carcrazy »

Mitlov

« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 10:45:02 pm »

I find Vue's size-cargo-weight-fuel economy combination kind of hard to swallow. Yes, theoretically it should compete with those, but in reality it kind of looses on all fronts.

In reviews I've read, it wins on interior materials and driving dynamics (at least in the upper trims), but soundly loses out on interior space and fuel economy.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2008, 03:04:54 pm »
..Redundancy............ :hide: ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2008, 02:07:24 pm »
Personally I think that the Caddies and Chevy may work, but the 9-4x... it seems like a CRX with a Saab fascia. Once again, I think it's time for Saab to go up for sale.

Of the slides, I'm a wagon person but that CTS Wagon doesn't look good and the SRX uncomfortable. Only the Chev Cruze and Saab 9-4X appealed to me.

Thanks for the images of the new Equinox. Now that looks good.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2008, 08:07:42 pm »
Personally I think that the Caddies and Chevy may work, but the 9-4x... it seems like a CRX with a Saab fascia. Once again, I think it's time for Saab to go up for sale.

Of the slides, I'm a wagon person but that CTS Wagon doesn't look good and the SRX uncomfortable. Only the Chev Cruze and Saab 9-4X appealed to me.

Thanks for the images of the new Equinox. Now that looks good.

WOW, I really like the SRX seats :o

gmgod

« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2008, 08:23:15 pm »
When it comes to design all Gms are a step above the competition. The Equinox , Vue and Torrent already soundlt quick the CRVs and Ravs behind.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
When it comes to design all Gms are a step above the competition. The Equinox , Vue and Torrent already soundlt quick the CRVs and Ravs behind.

I though you were on my ignore list ???

gmgod

« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2008, 08:36:50 pm »

I though you were on my ignore list ???

The ignore button is for people who can't handle the truth. Pretty dumb thing on an open forum.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2008, 08:38:54 pm »

:bow:

gmgod

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2008, 08:45:06 pm »
ISN'T IT WIERD HOW THE BUICK  ENCLAVE  IS SO BEUITIFUL AND REWARDING AND THE NEW hIGHLANDER LOOKS LIKE A POS!!!!  WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!!  A BUICK , GO FIGURE!!!!! :rofl2: :rofl: ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:27 pm »
ISN'T IT WIERD HOW THE BUICK  ENCLAVE  IS SO BEUITIFUL AND REWARDING AND THE NEW hIGHLANDER LOOKS LIKE A POS!!!!  WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!!  A BUICK , GO FIGURE!!!!! :rofl2: :rofl: ;D

There is something wrong with your keyboard...  ::)

barrie1

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2008, 09:21:40 pm »
No one brand or model within a Comapny can or ever will totally satisfy every driver out there. Our needs and personal tastes alone also dictate what we drive to a very large degree. Our pockets also have a lot to say as well when it comes down to what we drive as well. Buick does make a really beautiful car for those who want a vehicle of that design. Its not for all of us but it is a darn good choice and a well built car as well. I have owned 3-4 Buicks over the years and they have all served me very well. A new one now would also do the same but I am still driving my Caddies which are running just fine. Just don't need a new car at the moment as my fleet is running just fine.  :)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:03 am »
How about that Volt......and speaking of NASCAR....

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/463907