Author Topic: Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario  (Read 39935 times)

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 03:07:29 pm »
Really Cool...?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 03:34:55 pm »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 03:36:27 pm »
..so solly he failed to HI_LITE HIS "R's"......fined $100 and 3 Points.... :cp2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

von_khan

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »
First, I dont want to argue about the morality of speeding.

Second, does any more have experience with fighting tickets?

Thanks

Undefeated  :bow2:  if you count Resolution and "Disobey Sign" as victories.

First thing is for you to file EXACTLY 30 days prior to trial a Request for Disclosure with the Prosecutors office.  Get a receipt and don't lose it.

Essentially, you can't beat the speeding tickets as a first timer on the merits.  You need to make the process very annoying for the Crown and the Police.  Your goal will be to arrange for RESOLUTION with the Prosecutor before trial and that most likely occurs because of a problem with the Disclosure.

It's your obligation to itemize the Request For Disclosure

:bow2: :bow2: :bow2:

Still remember how your advice helped me out of my first ticket. If we have a meet sometime I owe you a beer.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 05:01:57 pm »
He also said if I choose to fight the ticket, the judge will know I was going 90 and I will be charged hundreds more and get demerit points.

:rofl:  That's BS.

Plead not guilty.  Those traps where you get the ticket from a cop that wasn't actually operating the gun double your chances of fluking a dismissal.

I agree. It is your right to cross examine the officer operating the gun/laser. Usually just the ticket writer shows up. A Prosecutor here in Alta. said the operator of the device MUST be the one who issues the ticket.  I don't know if this is correct or not. The best way to fight a ticket is delay, request a change of venue, etc.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 08:23:39 pm »
That's the lamest argument out there. Do you really think that there aren't units working on projects for such issues?

They're out there all right; all 2 of them.  ::)

Come on. If you're going to spew your :censor:, try to make it somewhat realistic :censor:.

While I'm not a fan of speed enforcement, I think your "They could be catching people that are robbing your mother" argument is crap.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:27 pm »
        :fiver: :iagree: :iagree:

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:16 pm »
The biggest break I got was a ticket had me 50KM/h over the limit, down to a faulty speedometer on the car. Thankful I am not in ONT.

Yeah, that's a good one! I've also played the "faulty speedometer" card to get out of a ticket for 35 km/h over. A bit of a hassle, but necessary in my case to keep my record clean for an upcoming job application.

I also recently took a photo radar ticket to court and got it thrown out. Not because I couldn't afford the eighty-buck fine, but because it just galls me that the photo radar here is contracted out to a private company. Like they give a rat's ass about safety: more tickets = bigger profit. End of discussion.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
Come on. If you're going to spew your , try to make it somewhat realistic .

While I'm not a fan of speed enforcement, I think your "They could be catching people that are robbing your mother" argument is crap.

One trip to east Hamilton, middle of the day, and one can see for themselves that "speed traps" (traps that don't impact public safety to any significant degree), should be on a low priority.

Meth and crack heads =  break and enters, smashed car windows, ATM muggings, gangs street fighting over drug turf  v. "speed traps" in a province with retardedly slow maxiumums.   I say deal with the bad sh*t first.   :)

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:38 pm »
I don't know anything about the slimey world of used car sales and I dare suggest you know even less about police work. There is far more to it then "speed traps" and I would suggest that if you knew anything about policing in Hamilton (or Toronto or Brampton or Brantford, etc. etc.) you would know that there are far fewer "traps" then you think. But, like I say, you don't see the drug guys, the break and enter guys or the robbery guys because they aren't driving a car that says "POLICE" in big letters on the side.

But again, keep chirping about something you know nothing about. Hate speed traps all you want but there's far more going on around town than you know.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:09 pm »
^^^^I think the point Steve is trying to make is speed traps do absolutely NOTHING to make communities safer. Zilch. Study after study has shown that a hiding police car does nothing to slow traffic or prevent accidents.  Pure cash grab.

Even if there is only one trap in the whole city, it's still a stain on the whole police force.  Speed traps say "We don't care about your safety, we just want your $$"
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:18 pm »
I get that. My point is that saying "Go catch people that are robbing, raping and murdering everyone's mothers every day" is an asinine statement. Just because he doesn't see it every day doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Whether the people here like it or not, and I get that it's a "not", one of the biggest complaints we get is about speeders. That and stop signs make up about 90% of the 'enforcement requests' we get sent from the public. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 11:35:39 pm »
Not damned if you do or don't..why not use the technique that has been shown that works best? Good 'ole driving in traffic works the best..being visible.  Not hiding in the bushes doing random roadside taxation...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2008, 11:41:13 pm »
I don't know anything about the slimey world of used car sales

Either do I.  I think that's best left to Hamiltonians.  :)  I just know that Toyotas make ppl money happy be they used or new.

There is far more to it then "speed traps" and I would suggest that if you knew anything about policing in Hamilton (or Toronto or Brampton or Brantford, etc. etc.) you would know that there are far fewer "traps" then you think.

I know that practically speaking every OPP car is a speed trap waiting to happen operating on retardedly slow speed posted roads (49.7 mph) and the impetuous is revenue based ::)

there's far more going on around town than you know.

I know that the "war on drugs" here in Ontario is about as ineffective as in the USA and that gang and hand gun violence is increasing in Ontario and not decreasing and the OPP do f*ack all about the natives when they break the law.

I know that the insurance companies should not be allowed to track ppl's driving records for 3 years when the province forgives ppl's infractions after 2 years.  That's seriously f*ucked up.   :stick:

barrie1

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 12:31:56 am »
You change your story again Steve as you have bragged about knowing all these dealers in hamilton you do business with and just how scummy they are. Wow a whole new story every week it seems coming from you. You rate yourself as a expert in some of the threads you have harped regarding the dealers in Hamilton in particular.  I think the majority of us will take The Fuzz's word anyday over yours as he dosen't have to lie to be important. He is important and a honest person as well and not a Used car dealer of anything  who goes around pestering local dealers to get information.  :( :( :( 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2008, 01:27:46 am »
You change your story again Steve as you have bragged about knowing all these dealers in hamilton you do business

I think you should post a link to substantiate your allegation.  :)  Personally, never sold a car to a used dealer in Hamilton that I can remember although wholesalers come from every where and any where it seems.

I think the majority of us will take The Fuzz's word anyday over yours

What topic are we one  ???   :D   Well, a minority is better than nothing.  :)

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2008, 06:53:57 am »
I know that practically speaking every OPP car is a speed trap waiting to happen operating on retardedly slow speed posted roads (49.7 mph) and the impetuous is revenue based ::)

Well then, there you have it. Since the OPP are rolling speed traps then I guess ALL police are rolling speed traps.

To compare highway patrol to city policing is another dumb comparison.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 06:55:09 am »
Not damned if you do or don't..why not use the technique that has been shown that works best? Good 'ole driving in traffic works the best..being visible.  Not hiding in the bushes doing random roadside taxation...

That's what I prefer to do. 95% of my tickets are for violations other than speeding (val tags, red lights, etc). The other 5% are when I go put the hammer down in a school zone and target speeders to remind them that we're out there.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2008, 07:38:40 am »
^^^^I think the point Steve is trying to make is speed traps do absolutely NOTHING to make communities safer. Zilch. Study after study has shown that a hiding police car does nothing to slow traffic or prevent accidents.  Pure cash grab.

Even if there is only one trap in the whole city, it's still a stain on the whole police force.  Speed traps say "We don't care about your safety, we just want your $$"

I totally disagree here, get a few tickets in a row and when the insurance company does an update on your record and they do, watch out when they decide to kick you out and have to be insured by high risk companies.  It hurts and bad, do people slow down?  I truly believe so, what choice do they have?  My young neighbour got nailed, I thought it was funny to watch him bumming rides.  $12,000 to insure an Accord, can you believe this!!!  He's back on the road now, with a pick up truck, not the same kid anymore.  Would it not have been for all those bad cops catching him and raking all the nice cash would he have learned? think not, so the system does work ;)  More speed traps required, at the price of gas right now it would have a double benefit.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2008, 10:39:57 am »
i agree with fuzz, altima and steve....... ::) :P....wait is that possible? 

Yes it is because I also see all sides of the argument. I think pulling people over for 20 over on a highway is ridiculous however I also think that stopping someone doing 20 over outside a grade school is not.