Author Topic: Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario  (Read 39938 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 01:20:51 pm »
He also said if I choose to fight the ticket, the judge will know I was going 90 and I will be charged hundreds more and get demerit points.

:rofl:  That's BS.

Plead not guilty.  Those traps where you get the ticket from a cop that wasn't actually operating the gun double your chances of fluking a dismissal.

Have agree on AS with this one, if the ticket is written for 75 how can they say he was going 90

Go take it to some Points ( or whatever )  the first visit is usually free and see what your chance are

actually it isn't BS. don't look like a fool going into court thinking the officers don't prepare.  judges get bored quickly with people coming to court unprepared. cops write down all the evidence eg. actual speed, direction, location, conditions, other traffic etc on the back of their copy of the ticket.  when there is more than 1 cop involved they all have to be in the courtroom because they are all witnesses.  if one doesn't show up, they will let you go.  the guy calibrating the radar and using it has to swear in court they calibrated it that day properly, whether or not there was a car beside you, and if you asked to see the reading.  if you asked and they said it isn't locked in, that could be brought up in court as grounds to dismiss. (always ask to see the reading after he has written the ticket if he isn't giving you a break, esp. when they are pulling a lot of cars over.  say, wow i can't believe i was going that fast, could i see the reading??) not calibrating that day is grounds for dismissal.  having a car or truck next to you is grounds for dismissal. (radar isn't that accurate.)  if it is laser and the officer has not lined up the laser with the sight, that could be grounds for dismissal. 

anyways 15 over is a waste of your time and the courts time.  i have seen a couple of people try to fight 15 over and were not extremely prepared while i was waiting for my case.  the judge had the look of total disdain on his face.  looking at the guy thinking, dude it's not that much money, you got caught, the guy gave you a break and now you are wasting my time.  it was ugly.   

actually it isn't BS

What isn't BS  ??? 

You get a Speeding Infraction that states X km over and X amount and when your in court the Judge can't raise the charge based on what a cop says who usually can only remember the occasion from his notes.  That is the duty of the Crown. The original charge would need to be dropped and another charge issued and another court date found because the defendant has the right to prepare a defense for that charge and I've never seen that.

Cops always say that they've dropped the ticket down when it's an obvious tax grab and has no practical purpose other than to collect revenue.  Kind of like a hollow apology.  When you really do something unsafe they'll chew you out good, give you the ticket and won't offer an half assed apology.

But really what they should be doing is busting the meth and crack networks that feed the crazies that can seriously harm or kill your wife/kids at an ATM or in a parking garage.  But of course, that's MUCH harder work than handing out speeding tickets in a speed trap.  But there again, if the speed limits weren't so friggin slow then they'd be out of business.  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:22:44 pm by articsteve »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 01:34:16 pm »
  Meth & CRack networks...hell i have trouble payin' my ROGERS Network one....isn't meth SPEEDING  ;) :stick: >:D......yer honour i found a crack in his defense and being a plumber he pleads arse sorryboss habeus fatcorpus........... :rofl:......OK Laudanus moribumdun precident RULES..... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 03:58:32 pm »
I'm not self righteous - I speed, I get tickets, I pay them.  I don't expect everyone else to come to my defense, or find ways to skirt my guilt, just because I don't think I should have to pay my insurance.

I'm tired of whiny people who won't just take their lumps when they get caught doing something they know is wrong.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:36 pm »
I'm not self righteous - I speed, I get tickets, I pay them.  I don't expect everyone else to come to my defense, or find ways to skirt my guilt, just because I don't think I should have to pay my insurance.

I'm tired of whiny people who won't just take their lumps when they get caught doing something they know is wrong.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:39 pm »
 :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 07:08:15 am »
But really what they should be doing is busting the meth and crack networks that feed the crazies that can seriously harm or kill your wife/kids at an ATM or in a parking garage.  But of course, that's MUCH harder work than handing out speeding tickets in a speed trap.  But there again, if the speed limits weren't so friggin slow then they'd be out of business.  :)

::)

That's the lamest argument out there. Do you really think that there aren't units working on projects for such issues? Never mind, you probably really do think that. I'm sure you also know that there are many units out there that are dedicated to different community issues. Uniform patrol and traffic enforcement just so happens to be the one that is most visible and affects most law abiding citizens.

Crack heads don't get on automotive forums and complain about getting busted for cooking meth.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 07:10:21 am »

::)

That's the lamest argument out there. Do you really think that there aren't units working on projects for such issues? Never mind, you probably really do think that. I'm sure you also know that there are many units out there that are dedicated to different community issues. Uniform patrol and traffic enforcement just so happens to be the one that is most visible and affects most law abiding citizens.

Crack heads don't get on automotive forums and complain about getting busted for cooking meth.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: ;D

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 07:30:16 am »
Really, the reaction to getting a speeding ticket should be:  was I speeding?  If yes, pay it and get on with life.

It's all these, 'yeah, I was speeding, but I'm special so I deserve special treatment' arguments that get tiresome.  The world doesn't care that your insurance goes up; if you cared, you wouldn't speed.  You know the consequences of your behaviour, so stop whining. 

Well said, advice to people seeking help with tickets, stop speeding.  So simple.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:21 am »
take your lumps?  haha   take your lumps usually means paying a lot more insurance.  big fat insurance companies with record profits and no competition within their industry. an industry that had to be legislated into reducing their profits. that's taking your lumps?   the  city and police need to focus on much more distressing issues than being agents for the car insurance companies.   

No one is forcing you to speed though, it's your own choice.  The big bad insurance companies aren't making you do it.  If you choose to do it you run the slight risk of getting caught, when you finally do get caught, don't moan like a little girl.

zapplez

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:06 am »
First, I dont want to argue about the morality of speeding.

Second, does any more have experience with fighting tickets?

Thanks

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 01:24:06 pm »
 ::) Yes.....

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 01:34:29 pm »

Thanks

I have pleaded to lesser charges on traffic tickets, unless there is something totally written wrong on the actual ticket, very difficult to get it tossed out of court. Don't know what less penalty there is in your case.

The biggest break I got was a ticket had me 50KM/h over the limit, down to a faulty speedometer on the car. Thankful I am not in ONT.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 01:53:51 pm »
That's the lamest argument out there. Do you really think that there aren't units working on projects for such issues?

They're out there all right; all 2 of them.  ::)

The situation is beyond pathetic.  Worse actually than Fatino's "street racing law".

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 02:13:14 pm »

Thanks

Undefeated  :bow2:  if you count Resolution and "Disobey Sign" as victories.

First thing is for you to file EXACTLY 30 days prior to trial a Request for Disclosure with the Prosecutors office.  Get a receipt and don't lose it.

Essentially, you can't beat the speeding tickets as a first timer on the merits.  You need to make the process very annoying for the Crown and the Police.  Your goal will be to arrange for RESOLUTION with the Prosecutor before trial and that most likely occurs because of a problem with the Disclosure.

It's your obligation to itemize the Request For Disclosure

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 02:15:53 pm »
The two times I've been caught speeding where the officer reduced the fine there was an "R" in the top right corner of the ticket, indicating the speed had been reduced.  

I presume if the judge sees this they won't be pleased with you.  Is this worth the risk of having the ticket raised to the original speed?  Keep in mind, while the insurace companies aren't intersted in a mesely 15 over (with no points!) I'm not too sure they're as lenient with 30 over.

For what it's worth, both my fiance each have a ticket for 15 over (hey, the P5 is fun) our rates haven't been affected.

AKA - Pay the $50.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 02:35:50 pm »
"R" in the top right corner of the ticket, indicating the speed had been reduced. 

I presume if the judge sees this they won't be pleased with you.

That's preposterous.

The Crown lays the charge, not the Judge.  He only will review the ticket if the defendant disputes the information on it.  The fact that one was actually traveling faster than what has been alleged only can come from the cop's mouth via his of evidence book.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 02:45:09 pm »

Thanks

Firstly, if you read the posts, no one is saying speeding is wrong, in fact most people are saying they speed. They are just willing to accept the good fortune of dealing with an officer who is willing to reduce a ticket, and take the rest of the punishment as a fair cop. ['scuse the pun]

Secondly please post the results if you fight it, I'd be interested to hear about the process and the result.

:)

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 03:01:38 pm »
"R" in the top right corner of the ticket, indicating the speed had been reduced. 

That's preposterous.

Then why the "R"?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 03:04:08 pm »
Retarded....???? ::) :P

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 03:05:51 pm »
Racing ...