Author Topic: Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario  (Read 39933 times)

zapplez

Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:02:44 am »
So , I just got my first speeding ticket. After getting signalled over at a speed trap (one officer reading stationary radar gun, multiple cop cars on side street) I pulled over after being hand signalled. The officer said I was going 90 km/h (I know I wasn't) but would "cut me a break" and charge me with 75 km/h in a 60. The fine of the ticket isn't very large, but the 3 years on my insurance will cost me a lot of money. He also said if I choose to fight the ticket, the judge will know I was going 90 and I will be charged hundreds more and get demerit points.

Is there any validity to what the officer is saying?

von_khan

Re: Fighting Speeding Tickets in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:28 am »
Take the 15 over and pay it with a smile.

If you're with someone like TD Insurance they dont care about the first minor ticket. Next time dont speed in potential areas they can set up speed traps.  ;D

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »
Multiple cars and cops, looks like they we're doing a little blitz in the area, probably due to complaints.  Why should you get a break?  You're still fussing after a 15km break you deserve full till next time >:(  Sorry man you did the crime pay the time.  Speeding in urban areas, school zones, it's everywhere and dangerous, you have kids?

zapplez

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:28 pm »
Multiple cars and cops, looks like they we're doing a little blitz in the area, probably due to complaints.  Why should you get a break?  You're still fussing after a 15km break you deserve full till next time >:(  Sorry man you did the crime pay the time.  Speeding in urban areas, school zones, it's everywhere and dangerous, you have kids?

I don't want to argue law theory regarding speeding. I just posted this thread to try and find out about fighting tickets in court. I am not asking for a "break". I am "fussing" because a single ticket can cost hundreds in insurance over the years.

I was not speeding in an urban area or school zone. I am safe driver, pay attention when I drive, I also dont text or use a cell phone. Where I was stopped was at the bottom of a hill where 100 metres previous the speed posted was 80 km/h. This is a 2 way, 4 lane highway.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:31:31 pm »
The officer said I was going 90 km/h (I know I wasn't) but would "cut me a break" and charge me with 75 km/h in a 60.

Where I was stopped was at the bottom of a hill where 100 metres previous the speed posted was 80 km/h. This is a 2 way, 4 lane highway.

Let me see if I understand this.

You are driving in a 80kph zone, then the sign changes to 60kph and you then get tagged for speeding. If so, what does the 80kph zone sign have anything to do with this? 

Traffic cops (usually) setup where speed drops as it makes it that much easier to get people. You have to slow down before you get to the next speed sign, not after you pass the speed sign. Otherwise, draw a line across the road and you are fair game once you cross it.

accordingly

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:43:55 pm »
Resist being dragged into the holier-than-thou discussions that your thread will generate  ::)

Have a look at this site: http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/index.htm#toc if you are serious about fighting the ticket.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:48 pm »
If you were speeding and got caught speeding, take it like a man, or a woman for that matter.

The cop is offering to reduce your ticket and you're moaning?  Get over it.

Why people think everyone telling someone to "take it on the chin" is holier-than-thou is a bit odd, although I agree it can sound like that. Many people speed, especially driving enthusiasts. So if you get caught just think of all those times you got away with it. Think of it as karma, as if you got caught every time you probably wouldn't be driving at all...

:)

[where's the take it on the chin smiley...]   :rofl2: :rofl:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:12:16 pm »
I may be wrong, but fighting a reduced fine would be like shooting yourself in the foot.  I suspect the officer may have given you some good advice.

By how much do you figure your insurance rates will go up?  Are you a young/newer driver?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:41:54 pm »
You can fight it yourself, hire a lawyer, or hire a paralegal service like Xcoppers.  Do you have evidence to prove your case in court that you weren't breaking the speeding law at the time of the incident or the police's radar or laser gun is out of calibration?  You may get a break in court or you may get a hard ass judge.

I live in a 80 to 50 area.  People are still going over 80 well inside the 50 zone where I cross the road.  Every few months the trap goes up.  The 50 sign is twice as big as the 80 sign and people still miss it.  And there are a couple more 50 signs before the trap. 

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 06:47:28 pm »
Sounds like you were caught in a "Production Style" speed trap which means you will have about  zero chance of beating it in court.  This trap will probably create at least a half dozen contested tickets, so the officer will most likely be present when they come to court.  If the officer is there, you won't win.

Most insurance companies won't give you a hard time over one moving violation, so keep your nose clean for 3 years.  Also, if you do fight and lose that means you will have this hanging over you for 3 years plus the time it takes to go to court.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 06:51:42 pm »
You can fight it yourself, hire a lawyer, or hire a paralegal service like Xcoppers.  Do you have evidence to prove your case in court that you weren't breaking the speeding law at the time of the incident or the police's radar or laser gun is out of calibration?  You may get a break in court or you may get a hard ass judge.

I live in a 80 to 50 area.  People are still going over 80 well inside the 50 zone where I cross the road.  Every few months the trap goes up.  The 50 sign is twice as big as the 80 sign and people still miss it.  And there are a couple more 50 signs before the trap. 

That's the good thing about traps, they are usually the same locations over and over again so the locals know where they are.

von_khan

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 09:08:38 pm »

I don't want to argue law theory regarding speeding. I just posted this thread to try and find out about fighting tickets in court. I am not asking for a "break". I am "fussing" because a single ticket can cost hundreds in insurance over the years.

I was not speeding in an urban area or school zone. I am safe driver, pay attention when I drive, I also dont text or use a cell phone. Where I was stopped was at the bottom of a hill where 100 metres previous the speed posted was 80 km/h. This is a 2 way, 4 lane highway.

I've talked to a lot of insuarance agents, and also some paralegals as I got into a lot of trouble with my first ticket ever. It got reduced to a minor and the insurance company couldnt care less. One minor ticket will not hurt you. Move along and write one off to fate.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 09:21:21 pm »
I am "fussing" because a single ticket can cost hundreds in insurance over the years.

Well now you know, next time..............

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 10:22:58 pm »
He also said if I choose to fight the ticket, the judge will know I was going 90 and I will be charged hundreds more and get demerit points.

:rofl:  That's BS.

Plead not guilty.  Those traps where you get the ticket from a cop that wasn't actually operating the gun double your chances of fluking a dismissal.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 01:07:13 am »
If the conversation was recorded, and played in the court room, wonder what the judge will say?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:41:42 am »
He also said if I choose to fight the ticket, the judge will know I was going 90 and I will be charged hundreds more and get demerit points.

:rofl:  That's BS.

Plead not guilty.  Those traps where you get the ticket from a cop that wasn't actually operating the gun double your chances of fluking a dismissal.

Have agree on AS with this one, if the ticket is written for 75 how can they say he was going 90

Go take it to some Points ( or whatever )  the first visit is usually free and see what your chance are

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:40:03 am »
Really, the reaction to getting a speeding ticket should be:  was I speeding?  If yes, pay it and get on with life.

It's all these, 'yeah, I was speeding, but I'm special so I deserve special treatment' arguments that get tiresome.  The world doesn't care that your insurance goes up; if you cared, you wouldn't speed.  You know the consequences of your behaviour, so stop whining. 
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 11:41:07 am »
I'm not self righteous - I speed, I get tickets, I pay them.  I don't expect everyone else to come to my defense, or find ways to skirt my guilt, just because I don't think I should have to pay my insurance.

I'm tired of whiny people who won't just take their lumps when they get caught doing something they know is wrong.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 11:56:38 am »
Christ people. The guy just wanted some helpful advice. Ease up on being his mother and ease up on the high-horse squeaky-clean BS. It may be tiresome to hear people inquire about getting off on a ticket but it's certainly more annoying to have to deal with a chorus of self-righteous banter.

Well said. However in retrospect, as threads in here go off topic all the time, the OP should have just done a one-liner asking for information and sources, and avoided giving details even if subsequently baited for them.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 12:42:39 pm »
I'm not self righteous - I speed, I get tickets, I pay them.  I don't expect everyone else to come to my defense, or find ways to skirt my guilt, just because I don't think I should have to pay my insurance.

I'm tired of whiny people who won't just take their lumps when they get caught doing something they know is wrong.

:fiver: suck it up