Poll

Should Mini sell a Morris Minor-esque four door?

Yes
4 (26.7%)
No
11 (73.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Should Mini sell a Morris Minor-esque four door?  (Read 22189 times)

Mitlov

Should Mini sell a Morris Minor-esque four door?
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »
With gas prices skyrocketing, Mini sales in the US are doing the same.  In April of this year, Mini sales in the US climbed 28.6%, more than any other company.  In May, they climbed 47.2%, more than any other company.  In June, they climbed 40.5%, more than any other company.  Get the picture?  I assume something similar is happening in Canada right now.

And this is with good reason.  The Mini Cooper/Clubman non-S is rated (in US gallons, with the pessimistic EPA ratings) at 28 mpg city, 37 mpg highway with the manual.  The S version gets 26/34 with the manual, and Edmunds recently beat that in a real-world highwy test (37.5 mpg with purely highway driving).  For comparison, even the relatively thrifty GTI gets 22 mpg city, 29 mpg highway with the DSG (20/29 with 6MT).

Thing is, the Mini's body style still restricts its growth.  Americans are warming up to subcompact cars, but the Cooper is really only good for two people, and the Clubman is really only good for four people if the rear passengers are teenagers or adults (who can climb through the club door).  In other words, Mini still doesn't offer a vehicle where the back seat is toddler or small-child friendly.  Trying to lift two toddlers into the back of a Clubman is a hernia waiting to happen.

But it wouldn't be hard for Mini to fix this.  They could use the Clubman platform and make a proper four-door with a trunk, about the size of a Yaris sedan.  This would allow parents who demand four doors, but don't demand a ton of room, to pick up a Mini as a small, thrifty, fun family-hauler.  I'd be first in line.

The question is, what should it look like?  Obviously retro lines are an essential part of Mini's marketing.  I was thinking that the Morris Minor would be the template, though if anyone else can think of 1960s British four-doors that would look better, that might work too:

Am I the only one who thinks this would be a really good move for Mini?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Should Mini sell a Morris Minor-esque four door?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:24:48 pm »
A Mini with a trunk?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:37:22 pm »
A Mini with a trunk?

I think they call them "boots" on that side of the pond ;) 

And why not have a model with four doors and a boot?  I think trunks are great, and quite a few Americans agree.  See, for example, BMW giving North America a 1-Series with a trunk instead of a hatchback.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:39:06 pm »
Interesting suggestion. We ended up with a Yaris Hatch but the Sedan would have been bought if we needed a trunk. A mini with cool styling, a trunk, and perhaps a lightly toned down (softer) ride would make an interesting small sports sedan.

Sounds like an interesting idea if they could execute it right.

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 03:43:33 pm »
A mini with cool styling, a trunk, and perhaps a lightly toned down (softer) ride would make an interesting small sports sedan.

The longer wheelbase of the Clubman apparently does wonders for its ride quality, even without toning down the sporty suspension.  I think they should keep the sporty suspension.  The fun factor is a big part of why people pay a hefty premium for these over, say, a Yaris.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:03:20 pm »
I haven't test droven a Clubman. The "regular" Mini reminded me of the 1980s when they made cars have super stiff (and rough riding) suspensions to get good grip. If the Clubman is "better" in terms of roughness then that is a plus in my book.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »
That is a very old Morris picture there.    That is a Minor indeed from the '50s not a Minor 1000.

the trouble with the idea is that there are a zillion  medium powered FWD 4 door cars around in various sizes. This mini platformed  sedan would compete against the Corolla and the Astra but with expensive BMW parts
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:54:00 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:58:57 pm »
the trouble with the idea is that there are a zillion  medium powered FWD 4 door cars around in various sizes. This mini platformed  sedan would compete against the Corolla and the Astra but with expensive BMW parts

Only in the sense that a Mini Cooper competes with a three-door Yaris...which I don't think it does at all.  Very different price point, driving experience, and character.

That is a very old Morris picture there.    That is a Minor indeed from the '50s not a Minor 1000.

Thanks for the correction.  Here's Tiff Needell (of Fifth Gear) in a Minor 1000.  I didn't realize it was RWD.  The vehicle I anticipated would be FWD, so as (1) to benefit from the Cooper/Clubman's ultra-fuel-efficient platform, and (2) so as not to compete with the 1-Series and 3-Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooBJ2Z2sZvo
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:02:30 pm by Mitlov »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:07:51 pm »
A Morris 1000 chassis with a new mini power pack in the front would be fun.

the Minor you showed had a whole 900 cc although many were updated to 948 by people who just needed the brute power of the OHV A-series engine  :o  the one Tiff was driving was probably 1098 cc.... what a power increase.  Both were 4 on the floor with synchros only on 2,3,4  and the 3->2 synchro lasted about 6 months.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:15:42 pm by tpl »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 07:09:46 pm »
If BMW builds them, people will buy them.

Why not a pickup version as well?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:45:39 pm »
Mitlov, what a neat idea.  I think MINI would do well to capitalize on the current fuel situation.  And you're right, the new Minor would no more be competing with Corollas than the Coopers do with Yarises (Yari?).  They could target those looking for the fuel efficiency and smaller carbon footprint afforded by the Yaris, Fit and like, yet still offer a bit of prestige and interesting styling / performance too for commuters looking for something above the bottom-feeders of the automotive world. 

Cargo-capacity wouldn't have to be as important as interior space to allow for market positioning as the ultimate commuter car.  A stylish and good-handling Nissan Versa sedan comes to mind. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 07:27:09 pm »
That's why everyone slated the mini cabriolet, and it's attempt at four seats.  They should have made it a 2 seater sports car without that stupid boot and it would have been soooo much nicer. imho of course.

Out of interest, what's the difference in rear legroom and storage space in a 1-series hatch vs the sedan?  Personally I'd prefer the hatch.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 09:44:16 pm »
I like the principle. I think a Mini sedan may look 'cute', but voted 'no' because:

-It would dilute the 'Mini' brand. The car, currently is a modern interpretation of a once popular car. What would a Mini with a trunk be? Further, there may be some who buy the Mini for its image. If there's lots of versions, and sold in large numbers, it may reduce the 'cult' appeal.

-It may difficult to seat the rear passengers comfortably unless the chassis is raised. Buyers who care even remotely about rear passenger comfort will choose another car. If rumours of a Mini SUV are true, that may be an alternative for those looking for rear seat comfort.

-If they did want to create a four door sedan on the Mini chassis, they might as well, but it doesn't have to look anything like the Mini. Why should the Mini's appearance be forced on anyone looking to buy a small dynamic car? It could be a BMW or a new brand...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:09 pm »
If rumours of a Mini SUV are true, that may be an alternative for those looking for rear seat comfort.

Honestly could you imagine that? A supersized Cooper?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:34 pm »
The fun factor is a big part of why people pay a hefty premium for these over, say, a Yaris.

I thought the suspension was the worst I'd ever tested in a car.  Was beyond "sporty".  Made an S2000 feel plush in comparison and a C4 Corvette like a luxury liner.  Easily the harshest most unforgiving suspension I've ever sampled.  Was hardly fun at all......and wouldn't buy one if it was $5,000 cheaper than a Yaris....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
The fun factor is a big part of why people pay a hefty premium for these over, say, a Yaris.

I thought the suspension was the worst I'd ever tested in a car.  Was beyond "sporty".  Made an S2000 feel plush in comparison and a C4 Corvette like a luxury liner.  Easily the harshest most unforgiving suspension I've ever sampled.  Was hardly fun at all......and wouldn't buy one if it was $5,000 cheaper than a Yaris....

I found the ride and handling is as close to a Go Cart in terms of factory production, ... which I loved. Special ordered one with the option I wanted ... then the dealer screwed up that simple thing. 

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:27:53 am »
Oh...missed this one!  I voted yes.

I like the Clubman...but it's not that much bigger...and it only has the door on the one side...so having the Minor-esque replace the Clubman in the line-up would be fine by me.

Having had a Gen1 hatch, currently owning a Gen1 cab...and driven a Gen2 Clubman...comments:

• The Clubman is much better over the bumps with it's longer wheelbase
  • The gen1 hatch we had (non S) was STIFF...and I'd like to fault the run-flats...but I didn't get a chance to replace them before we traded it on the cab
  • The gen1 cab's softer suspension makes it a good balance

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:11 am »
Considering how so many people feel the suspension is too tight, wonder what BMW's reasoning is. I guess if it was softer, people would complain it is not 'sporty' enough??

loser40

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 11:44:23 am »
I suppose BMW could design a new 4 door Mini around the old Austin Maxi shape.  The Maxi was a 5 door hatch so would be practical.

A retro Maxi - I wonder what that would look like ?

M.

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 04:11:11 pm »
I suppose BMW could design a new 4 door Mini around the old Austin Maxi shape.  The Maxi was a 5 door hatch so would be practical.

A retro Maxi - I wonder what that would look like ?

M.

Great idea.  The aesthetic mixes better with the current Mini lineup than my suggestion of the Morris Minor.  Make this a C-segment car that handles at least as well as a Civic Si and has a small turbocharged engine, and you have a winner.