Author Topic: James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear  (Read 19795 times)

Cortina

James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:56:00 am »
James and Richard want pay similar to Clarkson. But really lets face it. Clarkson is the show.

Quote from: guardian.co.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/04/bbc.television2?gusrc=rss&feed=media

Top Gear stars James May and Richard Hammond have not yet signed new contracts despite their agreements expiring at the end of the month – leading to fears they may leave the show.

UmroAyyar

Re: James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
Clarkson is the show. May and Hammond are fluff. Their reviews pale in comparison to Clarkson.

Now, if they could only get Tiff and Clarkson on the same show...............

Tiff used to be with Clarkson before. Tiff drove an F1 car because he was the only one with proper racing experience. IIRC.

But they have Stig for driving around.

Cortina

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:18:38 am »
Tiif and Clarkson did split over personal differences where the orginal show was going at the time. TBH I prefer the Clarkson Tiff days. It was more about cars than wacky stunts. :)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »
... and the SHow goes on ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:19:02 pm »
..Ok   OK it's ME........................ :P    TIFF  STIG  & SAFF........wotta  load a bollocks  i need a STIFF CLARK my SON............. :cheers:  how much are tha lil dahlings making !!! ???   $$$$ POUND  ;) them to sand.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:40:48 pm »
I like Hammie's reviews more than Clarkson's.  Plus, Clarkson wouldn't be nearly as funny without his banter with Hammie and May.  If I was them, I'd be pissed too if I was getting significantly less pay than Clarkson.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:55:24 pm »
C'mon be real he's the HEAD BANANA....... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: the other two are bit players........................May seems semi comatose and depressive half the time and Hammy is like a lil Yorkie on speed.......Olde Clarkie does bits fer tha LONDON TIMES  too...so he's a KRUGMANESQUE BRAIN GIANT... :rofl2: :hurl:....can't be contra_dactatored..... :D.......next ye'll be sayin' MADONNAS "dancers" should be on TOP ...billing..... :rofl:

ghost

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 06:12:07 pm »
but where will James May and Hammond go if they didn't get their raise? It is unlikely they will draw the same automotive crowd as Clarkson. JR also writes car reviews and other automotive related stuff. May and Hammond don't.

loser40

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:29:19 pm »
I agree with 'Cortina', Top Gear was far far better in the early days.

May & Hammond might be holding out for more cash... they might even value them selves so highly as to stick to the "we want the same pay as Clarkson" principles and quit the show. 

If they do leave, the only UK terrestrial channel they can goto is ITV or Channel 4 - those channel's don't have a decent motoring program so might possibly be interested in the 2 of them - but with those two I envisage a copycat version of Top Gear, with slightly less denim & hair products.

I reckon Top Gear needs a massive shake-up... it needs to be about the cars again, not about the bloke'ish bravado of the ego-centric presenters and their lame, poorly scripted, unconvincing jokes, and the oh so poor 'lets see how far we can fire a caravan' bollocks.

May and Hammond should go, as should Clarkson... lets all cross our fingers and pray for the rebirth, born again, Top Gear 2.0 AC (After Clarkson), and focus on what the program should be about - cars.

M.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:31:40 pm »
...lets all cross our fingers and pray for the rebirth, born again, Top Gear 2.0 AC (After Clarkson), and focus on what the program should be about - cars.

M.

::) There are plenty of driving shows that fit that description.  If you don't like Top Gear, don't watch it.  But don't ruin it for those who do enjoy it - and there are millions of people who like it just the way it is.

I agree with Mit: I prefer Hammond's reviews to Clarksons, and would be very disappointed to see him go.  I enjoy May, but of the three, I would miss him the least.  But I think the three of them should just stay put.  :)

xviper

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 09:29:14 pm »
... and the SHow goes on ...

OK, any inside dope on who this guy is?   ???

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 12:17:50 am »
Me.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 07:52:40 am »
..ya got tha DOPE part right...... :stick:  i already claimed ownership... ::)....or are ya two timing ME..... :rofl:.................yup it's  a fun show...but like Seinfeld /CSI when tha STAFF get uppity and think they are the show and indispensable..bring on some newbies..if ya dies ya dies...as the 90 year olde Bishop said to the young actress.............. QUESTION....are TOP GEAR staff allowed to have a TIFF!!!!... :rofl2:

loser40

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 10:54:06 am »
Demosthenes X -

In the UK there are very few programs "like that".

The only one I can think of is Auto Mundial - this program is actually purely focused on cars - there are NO presenters, just voice overs.

As for Top Gear, I really enjoy the car review parts of the show, I'm just unimpressed with the twaddle which goes on between the presenters.

Do you truly think that my previous posting in which I expressed opinion really runs the risk of ruining others enjoyment of Top Gear ?

Saying "But don't ruin it for those who do enjoy it" is an over reaction IMO. 

M.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 11:11:26 am »
IMHO, Clarkson's obnoxious banter has made Top Gear what it is. The rest are support cast, do play an ever increasing role, add flavour to the show. Hammond's reviews are in the right context.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 11:34:56 am »
The show is a breath of fresh air from Motoring, Driving Tele, the or even ones on Speed TV.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 11:41:57 am »
"breath of FRESH AIR!!!".....have ya seen ENGLISH Teeth.... ;D ::) :P

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 12:26:25 pm »
Thank goodness for Satellite feeds and the Internet. Almost like being there ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 07:53:58 am »
but where will James May and Hammond go if they didn't get their raise? It is unlikely they will draw the same automotive crowd as Clarkson. JR also writes car reviews and other automotive related stuff. May and Hammond don't.

May and Hammond also write in other publications, May's is very good actually, as is his last book.  Both are very funny, and the program only works because of the team banter, but neither should be paid as much as Clarkson because Top Gear has been driven by Clarkson for ages.  He owns some of the rights, and revamped it to what it is today after it got canned a few years back.

Much as Hammond is a petrolhead, he is very much a presenter and loved having his own show (not-car related).  May is very funny in a deadpan sort of way, but take him away from the comedy writers and he loses some of what makes him funny, he essentially becomes a bit of a car/engine bore. Whether you love/hate/agree/disagree with Clarkson, he is the spirit of the show, and deserves the market rate.  As it's one of the few things on TV that I actually watch these days.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire