Author Topic: My first-hand experience with DSG  (Read 6074 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: My first-hand experience with DSG
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 10:33:37 am »
Yea, F1 cars must not be terribly engaging to drive because they have paddles.... ::)

Neither the GTI nor the Lancer are F1 cars, last time I checked.  Maybe you're thinking of the Outlander?   ::)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 10:39:41 am »
Technology numbs us into laziness IMO. Fun for me is overcoming the difficulty of a task, not looking for the easy way.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 11:28:53 am »
First impression:  This thing can shift better than I ever could. ... If objective performance was a priority for me, I'd never buy another type of transmission, ever.

Second impression:  The disconnect was palpable.  I was thinking that if I quit thinking "this isn't a traditional manual" and just approached it with an open mind, it'd be at least as enjoyable as a traditional manual, perhaps more.  It wasn't.
1) Strongly agree.
2) Strongly agree.

Your experience echoes mine exactly.  The DSG (and I imagine other DSG type trannies) is amaaaaazing.  It completely owns me.  Heck, I've figured out that about 1/5th of my daily heel-toes are lurchy, whereas the DSG downshifts perfectly every single time.

After I was done experimenting with it on my test drive, I just put it in D for the drive back.  The reality is I just can't see myself using the manual shift much if at all for regular driving, but the real benefit is not having a torque converter.

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 12:21:54 pm »
In terms of satisfaction level, if a first-gen TSX's manual is 100, I'd say a traditional automatic is 20, a traditional automatic with manumatic shifting is 30, and DSG is 75.  I was expecting 120, but 3/4 as satisfying as a great manual still is nothing to sneeze at, and a huge upgrade from a traditional automatic.

Mitlov

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »

I disagree - I've no doubt it's fantastic from a speed-to-shift point of view, but in terms of driver engagement, it's no better than a traditional automatic with paddles...

Yea, F1 cars must not be terribly engaging to drive because they have paddles.... ::)

Demo said the transmission wasn't engaging, not that the car wasn't engaging.  A Sienna with an S2000's shifter would still be boring as a whole, and an F1 car with even a traditional automatic would still be badass as a whole.  But I agree with Demo--while I'd be slower around the track in an F1 car with an S2000 shifter than in a normal F1 car, I'd certainly have more fun in the process.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 12:41:39 pm »
Geez Uncle Miltie ya inta the FireWATERWORKS already.............have ya taken Crazy Mo_FO  David COULTHARDS seat in tha RED BULL ship.......... ;) :skid:  F1 dreamin...............i once had a paddle BOAT but it wore my lil knees out....wot is the "premium" for a dsg...coupla GRAND???   regardless at a thereaboot 75% satisfaction ratio,then those with a semi circuitous commute could be circumspect in this choice.....those wif a BORING 99% Hi_way "LIFE!!!"..stay trad....those close to a few twisties and tha BALLS/OVARIES ta use them stay wiffa STICK..if it is Lotus/Miata /S2000 class..if'n it's a notchy/gated abomination like my 3 FERRARI's...well that's another story....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:45:17 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 01:09:13 am »
Demo said the transmission wasn't engaging, not that the car wasn't engaging.  A Sienna with an S2000's shifter would still be boring as a whole, and an F1 car with even a traditional automatic would still be badass as a whole.  But I agree with Demo--while I'd be slower around the track in an F1 car with an S2000 shifter than in a normal F1 car, I'd certainly have more fun in the process.

Exactly.  No matter how fast it shifts, if it's shifting automatically it's simply not as engaging as a clutch and shift gates.  Even with paddles, it's not nearly the same.  And in that respect, a DSG is little different from a regular automatic with paddles in terms of driver engagement.  It might be better in every test, but in terms of smiles per mile, it doesn't compare to a real manual.

Still, I won't argue that a DSG is better than a traditional slushbox.  As automatic gearboxes go, it's certainly the one to have, if you must have an autobox.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 06:29:25 am »
I think I agree with the above posts.   To my amazement I find myself just putting the GTI in automatic drive and not bothering to use the manual mode.  It makes the whole car seem slower and more sedate.... gives me time to look out of the windows and admire the scenery.   ;D
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 08:10:04 am »
I think I agree with the above posts.   To my amazement I find myself just putting the GTI in automatic drive and not bothering to use the manual mode.  It makes the whole car seem slower and more sedate.... gives me time to look out of the windows and admire the scenery.   ;D

All you need is a sawall and take the top off and enjoy the sun ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 08:22:40 am »
..GU(E)LP..H.a........tpl must be gettin' laid back...........after leaving the BIG SNAPPLE T.O..... :rofl2:..............get some safety wheels on yer grocery cart-MAN... ;) :D :P

Mitlov

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 12:34:16 pm »

All you need is a sawall and take the top off and enjoy the sun ;D

Yes, the Eos has DSG available with the 2.0T and standard with the VR6.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 01:32:17 pm »
Funny that... I saw one with the top down same colour & wheels as the photo above at the St Jacobs market at 7:15 this morning.   No interest in a convertible but if I did it would be either a Boxster or a Miata.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »
Technology numbs us into laziness IMO. Fun for me is overcoming the difficulty of a task, not looking for the easy way.

Do you crank-start your engine?