Author Topic: My first-hand experience with DSG  (Read 6071 times)

Mitlov

My first-hand experience with DSG
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:27:05 pm »
Took a GTI w/ DSG out for a spin today, mainly just to see what the transmission was like.  With more and more performance cars going to dual-clutch automated manuals as the only option (Ralliart, GT-R, R32 spring to mind), I wanted to see what it was like.

First impression:  This thing can shift better than I ever could.  Perfectly matched downshifts, never a hint of shudder when leaving a light, very quick, smooth shifts, etc.  If objective performance was a priority for me, I'd never buy another type of transmission, ever.

Second impression:  The disconnect was palpable.  I was thinking that if I quit thinking "this isn't a traditional manual" and just approached it with an open mind, it'd be at least as enjoyable as a traditional manual, perhaps more.  It wasn't.  I felt much more isolated from the engine compared to my Jetta. 

Overall, it's not nearly as bland as a traditional automatic, but it just wasn't as fun as a good ol' stick and clutch.  Still, if I dealt with gridlock on a daily basis, I'd gladly get one.  It's not nearly the sacrifice that a traditional auto is.  Since I live in a mostly-rural area, though, I'll be glad to stick with three pedals and a stick.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: My first-hand experience with DSG
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:48:33 pm »
Did you try the 'auto' mode?  If so, how did it perform?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:30 pm »
I've read a bit about the DSG style transmission...but the thing I didn't quite get was.  Is this an automatic with a "sportronic" style manual shifter or is it just another way of doing automatic?

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:12 pm »
Did you try the 'auto' mode?  If so, how did it perform?

Nope, didn't try it.

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:49:46 pm »
I've read a bit about the DSG style transmission...but the thing I didn't quite get was.  Is this an automatic with a "sportronic" style manual shifter or is it just another way of doing automatic?

It's not an automatic at all, in the traditional sense of the word (i.e., no torque converter).  It's actually closer in concept to a sequential manual.  It's a manual setup, clutch and all, except the clutch is electronically-controlled instead of foot-pedal controlled.  So it doesn't have that "slurring" feeling during shifts that an automatic does.

In a dual-clutch automated manual, like VW's DSG and Mitsubishi's SST, there are actually two transmission shafts.  One has even numbered gears, one has odd.  There's a clutch for each, so as you disconnect from one, you connect to the other.  Hence the quick shifts.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:53:24 pm »
So...if I'm getting this right...you still have the stick shift but there isn't any need for operating a clutch while shifting gears?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:33 pm »
How do you creep?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »
Don't think there is the traditional H pattern.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:31:27 pm »

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:35:08 pm »
Drove my friends A3 2.0 Turbo several months back and it was interesting.

I believe there is a built in amout of "creep" just like a normal automatic transmission.   As for shifting gears, it's all in the paddles behind the steering wheel and the shifts were very crisp and smooth. 

But I can agree that it's definitely less engaging than a normal manual...

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:10:43 am »
How do you creep?

It modulates the clutch for you, resulting in a very automatic-like creep.

IceandFire, you can either leave it in drive, where it shifts for you, or you can control it by tapping the shifter or using the steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles.  The driver input system is identical to a manumatic system on a traditional automatic, but the result feels very different.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:14:23 am »
Second impression:  The disconnect was palpable.  I was thinking that if I quit thinking "this isn't a traditional manual" and just approached it with an open mind, it'd be at least as enjoyable as a traditional manual, perhaps more.  It wasn't.  I felt much more isolated from the engine compared to my Jetta.

Exactly.   I've seen many reviews say how great the DSG transmission is.  I disagree - I've no doubt it's fantastic from a speed-to-shift point of view, but in terms of driver engagement, it's no better than a traditional automatic with paddles...

And while many people will say it's not an automatic because it lacks a torque converter, I still disagree: to me a manual is a car with three pedals and a H-gated shifter.  A transmission with two clutches and an automatically controlled clutch that can automatically change gears is still an automatic...  ::)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 01:35:36 am »

I disagree - I've no doubt it's fantastic from a speed-to-shift point of view, but in terms of driver engagement, it's no better than a traditional automatic with paddles...

Yea, F1 cars must not be terribly engaging to drive because they have paddles.... ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:47:52 am »
My experience with manual-matic and (very limited time) with the likes of DSG is that they take a long while to get used to the overall feeling of driving the car. With a traditional 5 speed, it takes a lot less time, some cars only needs a few minutes. Perhaps I am too used to it, almost second nature, the brain knows what will happen and what to expect. To flip the lever in the "+" / "-" fashion actual requires thinking, and the exception is something new. For me, anyway.

I am starting to like the new DSGs.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 06:57:09 am »
Paddle shifts are like putting your dick in a milking machine - it's more efficient but just not as much fun. ~ Jay Leno

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 07:27:39 am »
Well I actually have one after 40 years of driving manual ( from synchro free 1950's  junk gearboxes  to my 330 with the UUC shortshift kit)

After a month I am in agreement with Mitlov.   There is a disconnect indeed.

Treated as an automatic, IMHO it is INFINITELY better than a slush box. No slurring between gears, no rise in revs without rise in speed and so on.   The "creep"  is obviously carefully programmed so as not to scare people used to an automatic. 

Treated as a clutchless manual.  I truly dislike the way that one has to move the lever sideways to get into manual mode and once there have to move it back again into the main plane of movement before going into N. One day I am sure I will break something with that.    To me it is unnatural to push the lever FORWARDS to change up and pull back to change DOWN.   I think it should be the other way for ex-manual drivers.
I don't like the paddles a) not big enough and b) attached to the wheel not the column.  Changing up 1st to 2nd when pulling away from a corner, the UP paddle is always upside down on the other side of the wheel ( I am a "shuffler" not an "arm crosser")   I also find myself hitting the DOWN shift ( paddle or stick)  once too many times when coming to a stop and ending up at 6000 rpm in 1st. There is a gear display but I am not used to looking for that, I am used to the spacial thing of knowing where the lever is and of course you don't know

The programming in manual mode is not perfect in that it can be jerky when slowing to a stop or nearly to a stop and then accelerating.  Maybe this is unavoidable as 1st and 3rd are on the same shaft.

For all the complaints, some of which could be fixed with a flash of new code in the computer it is rather nice transmission.      I'd like to try one with the  gear lever replaced with a motorcycle sequential shift including neutral  and, with a detent, reverse .    R,N,1,2,3,4,5,6  should be possible to make a console mounted "paddle" that does that but as I say above I want the lever to have distinct positions for each gear.

I do not regret buying the DSG.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 07:44:13 am »
The mitsu-SST is a BILLION times better in all respects to what you mentioned tpl.

It is smoother on downshifts, the automatic mode is much smarter and the paddles are HUGE and on the column.  Loved it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 08:17:05 am »
The mitsu-SST is a BILLION times better in all respects to what you mentioned tpl.

It is smoother on downshifts, the automatic mode is much smarter and the paddles are HUGE and on the column.  Loved it.

Ok Wing. Good.  But the automatic mode is already smart enough in the VW,  I have difficulty imagining how to improve that.

And maybe the 7 speed DSG in one version of the forthcoming Tiguan will be.    I don't think it unlikely that at some point my car will get a flash to change the transmission software.

Note all that I am 90%+ happy with the DSG and think it is a great idea and the sooner ALL the archaic fluid logic slushboxes in all brands are replaced by DSG like transmissions the better.   BMW supposedly will be replacing the SMG with a DSG type gearbox over the next few years.

Just for fun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preselector_gearbox      is the obvious forerunner of the DSG. I remember it on London Transport buses when I was a kid.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 08:32:57 am »
Driver disconnect - exactly. Couldn't find those words before. As a result of it, my wife drives the DSG now and I went back to buying a car with a stick. I'm sure from what I've read that the Mitsu version has more aggressive software/performs more intelligently, and for example won't be as likely to be in the wrong gear mid corner. However it isn't really about the best performance numbers. After all even the VW version quotes better acceleration numbers for the DSG than the stick in the same car.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 09:37:14 am »
Commuting and wifey not driving a manual means that future vehicles must be autos.  While I really like the GTI and A3, I'm concerned about long term longevity and costs.  I usually drive my cars for 8-10 years, and I'm not sure that a VW/Audi with DSG is an 8-10 yr car.   

I'm glad that Mistu is coming out with the SST and I'm looking forward to the Ralliart.

I just wish that Honda offered a dual clutch tranny in the Civic Si or TSX...or anything for that matter.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust