Author Topic: New 7-Series: bye-bye Bangle lines  (Read 10040 times)

Mitlov

New 7-Series: bye-bye Bangle lines
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:41:04 am »
...and hello again to understated luxury.  We've missed you, old friend.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/03/leaked-2009-bmw-7-series-photos-hit-the-web/

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: New 7-Series: bye-bye Bangle lines
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:44:42 am »
See a bit of the 1-series on the rear 1/4, the trunk lines.

Actually, I didn't mind the Bangle look, though the 5 series that revolved from the 7-seres was a very good looking car.

vdk

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:53:46 pm »
 :-\ hmm..

Not great but not bad either... although I definitely don't like the Lexus taillights...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:21:52 pm »
Hhhhmmmmmm...... Bring back Bangle, and interesting design IMHO...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:40:34 pm »
Hhhhmmmmmm...... Bring back Bangle, and interesting design IMHO...

Philistine! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:14:27 pm »
Yuck.

Prefer the current 7 Series.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 08:19:39 am »
If one is into  cars that are serene on an Autobahn at 150 mph  then I bet it is a good example.

A diesel one ( 735D) would probably even get good fuel consumption at 150mph as well.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:20:04 am »
Hmmm... it's pretty bland.  Go back to the 7-series from the pre-Bangle fiasco and you've got the nicest of the lot. 

Nothing really wrong with the new one... but it looks like the result of a mating session between a Quattroporte and an LS600.  And to be honest, I think both of those cars are considerably more attractive.  In that class, I'd put my money on the Lexus.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:19:21 pm »
High-res:

http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2009-7-series/

I like it from the front, especially in a dark color.  There's some character lines that weren't immediately apparent from the first set of pictures.  The ginormous grill is going to take some getting used to.

Notice how the hood is actually longer at the top than the bottom, like a Dodge Charger.  Looks very aggressive from the side.

Does anybody else see an Infiniti?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:29:18 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:50:25 pm »
I’m not crazy about the rear-end where I see some Infinity. I don't particularly like the taillights.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »
I have always liked the so called Bangled 7 series, this new design is soooooo not BMW DNA.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:30:19 pm »
I like the front - clean and uncluttered - and overall is pleasant, but not breathtaking. The rear has a bit too many rounded details and does make me think Infiniti and Lexus LS.

I'm really into the 'flame surfacing' of Bangle's designs. My favourite 7 Series is the original Bangle version from what, 2002? Was pure business.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:33:19 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

xviper

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 04:44:12 pm »
How's that song go? .............................

Still UGLY after all these years!

I'd rather buy a Honda Accord.  Looks almost the same when you take all the badging off.

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 06:45:13 pm »
I'd rather buy a Honda Accord.  Looks almost the same when you take all the badging off.

They both have a Hofmeister kink and a character line, but that's the end of the similarity IMO.  To me, the Honda looks like it was designed by a committee who didn't talk to each other enough.  It tries to incorporate every popular styling cue in a disjointed mish-mash.  The BMW has sleek, classic, understated (maybe even a bit bland) RWD lines.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:58:20 pm by Mitlov »

loser40

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 07:41:35 pm »
This new 7 Series looks like the development engineers forgot to take off the false disguising body panels and the factory 'accidentally' manufactured it - it's shite... like most other beemers - except the 3 Series Coupe & Cabrio, 5 series Touring, and X5.

M.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 08:06:42 pm »
Remember when BMW sold cars on their merits, not on gimmicky styling?

xviper

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 08:13:34 pm »
They both have a Hofmeister kink and a character line, but that's the end of the similarity IMO.  To me, the Honda looks like it was designed by a committee who didn't talk to each other enough.  It tries to incorporate every popular styling cue in a disjointed mish-mash.  The BMW has sleek, classic, understated (maybe even a bit bland) RWD lines.
My opinion is vastly different.  To me, that BMW looks like any other ostentatious, over-priced German car ever to come across the ocean, that was designed by a committee who DID talk to each other.  They were all saying the same thing:  "Let's make this thing big and ugly and EXPENSIVE so we can sell them all to rich people who want bragging rights".  It tries to incorporate every popular styling cue in a disjointed mish-mash that will suck money out of Big Daddy Warbuck's wallet faster than a vaccuum cleaner sucks up dust bunnies.  The BMW is fat, awkward looking, classic only by BMW standards and overstated by it's badge and price tag.  I am not one to be fooled into thinking it's anything but this simply because it's a "BMW" and that it is expensive.  Yup, BMWs -- still UGLY after all these years.  I'm not smoking anything.  In fact, I can see clearly now.  But then, it's only MY opinion.
The Accord is only different in that it is a bit smaller, has more appeal to the masses, better built, NOT ostentatious at all and is "CHEAP" by comparison.  It too, is UGLY.  It's a way better bang for the buck unless all you care about is to have it sit out front of your house so you can show off to the lesser neighbours.   :-*
From the other comments here, it looks like many others are "smoking" something, too.   ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
My opinion is vastly different.  To me, that BMW looks like any other ostentatious, over-priced German car ever to come across the ocean, that was designed by a committee who DID talk to each other.  They were all saying the same thing:  "Let's make this thing big and ugly and EXPENSIVE so we can sell them all to rich people who want bragging rights".  It tries to incorporate every popular styling cue in a disjointed mish-mash that will suck money out of Big Daddy Warbuck's wallet faster than a vaccuum cleaner sucks up dust bunnies.  The BMW is fat, awkward looking, classic only by BMW standards and overstated by it's badge and price tag.  I am not one to be fooled into thinking it's anything but this simply because it's a "BMW" and that it is expensive.  Yup, BMWs -- still UGLY after all these years.  I'm not smoking anything.  In fact, I can see clearly now.  But then, it's only MY opinion.
The Accord is only different in that it is a bit smaller, has more appeal to the masses, better built, NOT ostentatious at all and is "CHEAP" by comparison.  It too, is UGLY.  It's a way better bang for the buck unless all you care about is to have it sit out front of your house so you can show off to the lesser neighbours.   :-*
From the other comments here, it looks like many others are "smoking" something, too.   ;)

If you'll notice, I removed the "I want some of whatever you're smoking" comment a few seconds after posting it, after having second thoughts about the tone.  You quoted what was remaining--a calm discussion of your opinion--but I'm guessing you didn't notice that I retracted that comment.

I am sorry I discussed your opinion.  From now on, we should not discuss or challenge each other's opinions.  The forum would be much more interesting if nobody ever challenged or discussed anybody else's opinions, right?   ::)

xviper

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 08:31:24 pm »
I am sorry I discussed your opinion.  From now on, we should not discuss or challenge each other's opinions.  The forum would be much more interesting if nobody ever challenged or discussed anybody else's opinions, right?   ::)
I am sorry I discussed your opinion of my opinion.  From now on, we should not discuss or challenge each other's opinions.  Geez, man.  Stop being such a bloody BABY!  But you're right, I won't ever again acknowledge your posts again.  You just did to me what I did to you - discuss your opinion.  You're not worth the effort.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:15:52 pm »
The Accord looks allot better in person than it does in photos.  Something about the photos just doesn't capture it...especially when you're up close to it.  Then again I like the looks of the TSX in person and in pictures so maybe its just my aesthetic sense at work :)

This BMW looks very interesting and I wonder if the new nose/chin? whatever you want to call it is a new trend for them.  Looks a bit like the Charger but a little more understated.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:18:23 pm by IceAndFire »