Author Topic: Chrysler blind spot and rear cross path detection  (Read 4827 times)

Cortina

Chrysler blind spot and rear cross path detection
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:06:32 am »
I think blind spot detection and rear cross path detection should be fitted to all vehicles. :)

Chrysler are going to fit them to all Caravans. :)

Quote from: Posted Jul 2nd 2008 6:20PM by Sam Abuelsamid
Filed under: Minivans/MPVs, Tech, Chrysler, LLC.
Chrysler blind spot detection and rear cross path detection

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/02/video-chrysler-blind-spot-detection-and-rear-cross-path-detecti/

One of the more useful bits of technology we encountered at the Chrysler What's New for 2009 event last week was "Rear Cross Path Detection," a byproduct of the new blind spot monitoring system on 2009 minivans that employs two radar sensors mounted on the corners of the rear bumper. Blind spot monitoring has become increasingly common on luxury vehicles in recent years, but Chrysler is claiming that the 2009 Caravan and Town & Country are the first minivans to be equipped with the technology.

If you've found yourself in a parking space flanked by two mondo SUVs, you've found it difficult, if not damn near impossible, to back out safely, and all too often drivers trolling parking lots are too busy looking for an empty slot to pay attention to cars backing out. When in reverse, the cross path detection uses the radar sensors to look to the sides for oncoming vehicles. If someone is in your path of travel the system audibly warns you of impending disaster. Check out the videos after the jump to see how both systems work.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:09:11 am by Cortina »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Chrysler blind spot and rear cross path detection
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:01 am »
Hopefully this will enhance the saftey of future vehicles by providing an extra check and not simply be a band aid for cars with poorly designed rear visibility

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:36 am »
It's a band-aid for poor drivers ;)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:46:25 am »
...and thick pillars/dark tinted windows.

Cortina

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:53:16 am »
It's a band-aid for poor drivers ;)

In some case yes. But new cars do have more blind spots. If you drive a car from even 15 years ago you really notice the difference. The new cars have a lot of blind spots because of the safety features now fitted to vehicles. No matter what band aid you put on vehicles a bad driver will always be a bad driver. So a good drive will be better in theory with these added eletronics. So you would hope a bad drive should be a little better at driving. :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:49:53 pm »
I saw a new Honda Civic on the left lane nearly side swiped a BMW in the right lane today.   The Honda driver tried to do a quick lane change due to a stopped van wanting to make a left.   The Honda aborted at the last moment and stopped behind the van.  I think the driver in the BMW was pissed since he pulled up next to the Honda and stayed there for a minute or so before moving on.   I wonder if electronics would have helped...

Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:03:23 pm »
I saw a new Honda Civic on the left lane nearly side swiped a BMW in the right lane today.   The Honda driver tried to do a quick lane change due to a stopped van wanting to make a left.   The Honda aborted at the last moment and stopped behind the van.  I think the driver in the BMW was pissed since he pulled up next to the Honda and stayed there for a minute or so before moving on.   I wonder if electronics would have helped...
Sure, the BMW driver could have used an old DVD player to beat some sense into the Civic driver

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:05:50 pm »
 ::)..wot if  ??? their floormats were incompatable..... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:43 pm »

I think well adjusted mirrors would have helped in this case.  The new Civics are a god awful car when it comes to vision.

Cortina

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:15:11 am »

I think well adjusted mirrors would have helped in this case.  The new Civics are a god awful car when it comes to vision.

They are not that bad. In fact they are ok if you set up the mirrors up correctly. But there is one blind spot tho, just over the left shoulder. But I do think it is, like that most cars these days anyway.  :)

I think any aid that helps you drive safer is a good thing. As long as you use it as a tool, not as an aid, then I'm sure it is fine. It can't hurt. :)