Author Topic: The Detroit 3 cash crunch: How bad is it?  (Read 7632 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
The Detroit 3 cash crunch: How bad is it?
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:36 am »
David Barkholz
and Jamie LaReau and Bradford Wernle
Automotive News Europe
June 30, 2008 06:01 CET

Can the Detroit 3 hang on?

The startling collapse in sales since April means the three automakers are burning through cash reserves at a terrifying rate.

Suddenly they have far more urgent deadlines for fixing their businesses. And they are considering a new range of actions that a few months ago were not on the table.

Investors are voting with their feet. Share prices for General Motors and Ford Motor Co. plunged last week — in GM's case, to a five-decade low. And privately held Chrysler last week was forced to tamp down rumors that it is about to declare bankruptcy.

The desperate Detroit 3 need to come up with enough cash, or access to cash, to limp to 2010, when they realize a combined $8.5 billion in savings from new contracts with the UAW.

Here are the key questions:

How rapidly are the Detroit 3 burning cash? When might they run out?

GM will burn through about $1 billion a month this year and $6.3 billion next year, says Patrick Archambault, an analyst for the investment bank Goldman Sachs Group Inc. That would leave an anemic $8.7 billion in cash by the end of 2009 unless GM dumps assets or adds new debt, he said.

Ford is in better shape — about $29 billion in cash and $11 billion available through credit lines. Moody's Investor Service says Ford could exceed a two-year total cash burn of $14 billion by the end of 2009.

Chrysler, owned by New York private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP, started 2008 with slightly less than $10 billion in cash. On June 18, Bloomberg News reported that Chrysler will burn through $2.5 billion this year and would end the year with $7.7 billion in cash. A Chrysler spokesperson disputed that estimate Friday.

"Chrysler has a stronger-than-planned cash position," said Chrysler CFO Ron Kolka. CEO Bob Nardelli said Chrysler will hold capital spending at current levels this year. Based on 2006 estimates, that would be $3.7 billion.

"Cerberus has a model that is buy, fix and hold," said Cerberus spokesman Peter Duda. "If someone comes along and offers us a great price, we would, of course, consider it, but we are not under pressure to sell any time soon."

Chrysler last week drew down a $1.5 billion credit line from former owner Daimler AG. The credit line was set up last August when Cerberus bought 80.1 percent of Chrysler from Daimler.

Which company is most at risk?

Chrysler. Cerberus says the company is meeting financial targets, but Chrysler relies on slow-selling light trucks for about 66 percent of sales. Edmunds.com predicted Chrysler will suffer a 31.2 percent drop in North American unit sales this month compared with June 2007.

General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner says GM has enough cash for this year and numerous options after that. GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem said GM can preserve cash by cutting structural costs, selling noncore assets such as Hummer and retiming or changing production plans.

Rashid-Merem said GM could go to the capital markets with a debt or equity offering. But she added that the company has nothing to announce and that GM has untapped lines of credit.

In May, Ford CEO Alan Mulally said the company has enough cash to get through the next two years even if industry light-vehicle sales fall below 15.0 million units for both years.

Ford has a potential investor in the wings in Kirk Kerkorian. The billionaire has scooped up about 6.5 percent of Ford's common shares in the past few months. Ford could offer him preferred stock or other equity to raise money in a pinch.

Will Chrysler declare bankruptcy?

Rumors were so rampant last week that Chrysler was compelled to deny them. "This rumor is false and without any merit whatsoever," a Chrysler statement said Friday. "It is not reflective of the facts of our financial situation, nor is it a measure we are considering."

Cerberus has deep pockets. But will the private-equity firm put more money in?

With its puny stock market value, is GM a takeover target?

The stock price fell below $12 a share last week, and its market capitalization is nearing $7 billion. Eight months ago it was over $20 billion. So GM might seem ripe for a hostile takeover. But analysts have said GM's costly restructuring makes it unattractive.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal last month, GM director George Fisher cited GM's debt load as a barrier to takeovers.

How can GM and Ford leverage their profitable and rapidly growing international operations?

Dave Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich., says General Motors is exploring an initial public offering to sell a piece of international operations to investors.

"Cash is the big problem right now," Cole said. "They all have to explore anything to generate enough to keep their businesses running."

On Friday, a GM source said the company is not considering that move. A source said Ford has no such plans for its overseas units.

What brands can the Detroit 3 sell to raise money?

At Chrysler, that would be Jeep. In early 2007, when Chrysler was still part of DaimlerChrysler, London-based auto analyst Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley estimated the Jeep brand could fetch $5.3 billion.

But Jonas said those estimates no longer apply: "Obviously, the world has changed too much over the past 18 months. Chrysler is smaller and worth far less."

In a June 10 CNBC interview, Nardelli said Chrysler will not sell Jeep, calling it "a crown jewel" of the company.

India's Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. was interested in buying Jaguar and Land Rover but lost that race to Tata Motors Ltd. Mahindra, which wants an SUV brand, could be a buyer for Jeep or GM's Hummer, which GM has said it might sell.

Some inside GM would like to sell Saab, but that brand likely has little value. Mark LaNeve, GM's sales and marketing boss, recently said Hummer is the only brand GM is considering selling.

European news media last week reported that Ford was in talks to sell Volvo to a Chinese buyer. But Ford leveraged Volvo to get its $23.4 billion financing package. The company would have to use proceeds of a sale to pay back the obligation tied to the Volvo assets. So a sale price would have to be large enough to justify that payback and still give Ford significant additional cash.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: The Detroit 3 cash crunch: How bad is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:58:37 am »
Isn't the estimation of burning cash on current sales status? Not using the quarter-to-quarter delinting model?

I think the actual will be worse than the projection, given no changes on the current business  operation.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:29 am »
It could well be worse, a general article today on investing brings up the point that the carmakers are facing big increases in raw material costs, once their current locked in supply contracts expire. It is estimated that rising steel costs alone will cost GM 2 billion.

Why Pepsi can rebound, but GM can't

Here are three rules of thumb on what to stay away from in this earnings season:

Companies facing big increases in the price of raw materials that don't have any power to raise prices themselves. Deere and General Motors are in very different places seen from this perspective. Deere can raise prices, because it is experiencing record demand as a result of rising prices for agricultural commodities. General Motors can't, because it's the victim of falling demand and a loss of market share to Toyota Motor (TM, news, msgs) and other competitors with more competitive product mixes. General Motors has very little opportunity to pass along higher costs for raw materials.

Companies with long lead time orders and big order backlogs. A company like PepsiCo can raise the price of Pepsi or Fritos in a matter of days because customers don't pre-order or pre-pay. PepsiCo's customers don't order in advance or receive any kind of guarantee against rising prices. A company like Deere, on the other hand, along with the makers of just about any kind of equipment, does build up big books of back orders. It can take months or quarters before any price increase actually reaches customers.

Companies that are facing big increases in the cost of raw materials now but that face even bigger hits in the future. The cost of steel is climbing at Ford, GM, and other carmakers now, so they're likely to take a hit to profits (if they have any) this quarter. But because most of these companies buy raw materials on an annual contract basis, they're still quarters away from seeing the full effect of higher costs on their income statements. These stocks have the potential to take a hit on currently falling margins and a hit on projections that margins will get squeezed even harder in coming quarters.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/JubaksJournal/WhyPepsiCanReboundButGMCant.aspx

Looks like a 'never rains but it pours' type of situation.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:30:28 am »
GM will be fine they are building some of the best quality vehicles out there today especially truck..oh wait people don't want trucks anymore?

Let's see the big 3 all face declining sales, dependancy on product lines (trucks) that have fallen out of favour due tio fuel prices, high labour costs (due to unions) and now rising material prices they can't pass on? Plus they are burning through cash like there's no tomorrow.

Something has to give. I think Cerebrus will be the first one to blink. I think they need to get out from under Chrysler ASAP. ""Cerberus has a model that is buy, fix and hold,"  how do they intend to Fix it? Unless they have some KCar (in terms of turnaround not the quality of the car)  like miracle hidden up their sleeve then I don't see how they can do it. Quick name the hot new Chrysler mass market product that's coming up that everyone is dying to buy over a Toyota or Honda? GM at least has international operations to fall back on.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:37:01 am »
I heard a long time ago that the car business was cyclical - boom and bust. So we are now in a bust period after years of booming sales.

Obviously, the manufacturers realize this and know how to handle it, right?

I just can't believe that they couldn't see all this coming.  ::)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:09:05 am »
Quick name the hot new Chrysler mass market product that's coming up that everyone is dying to buy over a Toyota or Honda?

Journey
7 passenger SUV with a 4 cyl engine for under $20K. That's what people want. They are just doing a horrible job of marketing it. I have a buddy, not a car nut but in need of new lease vehicle for work. Had a Ford Escape, then a Sante Fe and was looking at another escape....until I told him that for 32G he could have a loaded journey with Nav, my gig and all the toys. Done, picks it up in a couple weeks. I know about the vehicle quality......but this is what people want. Caliber has a price drop, what used to not be considered (by me anyway) at a base $16K is now in contention at $13K base. I think that if they used some money in the bank to seriously market their vehicles....not the back page of the newspaper.....i'm a car guy and I rarely look at those ads.....seriously come up with something better they would do well in this tumultuous market.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

weebl

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:29 am »

Journey
7 passenger SUV with a 4 cyl engine for under $20K. That's what people want. They are just doing a horrible job of marketing it. [/quote]

Exactly.  I couldn't think of a hot Chrysler vehicle, and that one was the furthest from my mind.  I had read about it once before here on Canadian Driver.  That was all I heard about it.  No Chrysler advertising.

In that segment, Mazda5 immediately springs to mind.  Mazda has a hot seller there, a viable smaller alternative to gas guzzling minivans, and for the most part, the only choice in the segment in North America.  Also known, but to a far lesser extent is the Kia Rondo.  Journey?  I doubt that even shows up on anyone's radar due to it being mostly unheard of.

Unfortunately, the Detroit 3 have had their heads in the sand too long when the market began changing several years ago, all they had were trucks, trucks, trucks.  Nobody wants those now, except for the people who really need them.

GM and Ford have their foreign operations (and in the case of Ford, a share in Mazda that's on a hot streak) and that will give them some ability to partially staunch the blood loss.  Euro GM and Ford don't have nearly as bad a reputation for low quality, and in fact, have some cars that many people have at the top of their list in the European market.

Nothing of the sort for Chrysler.  Chrysler needs another "K-Car" in order to save itself.  I have a feeling Cereberus will be dropping Chrysler like a hot potato when they get a chance to.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
What, I wonder, is the actual percentage of drivers who want a " 7 passenger SUV with a 4 cyl engine for under $20,000" 

People who already own a 6 cyl 7 seat SUV or Minivan ? 

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

weebl

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:04:28 am »
What, I wonder, is the actual percentage of drivers who want a " 7 passenger SUV with a 4 cyl engine for under $20,000" 

People who already own a 6 cyl 7 seat SUV or Minivan ? 

We have a 6 cylinder 8-seater minivan.  We're not in the market for a new vehicle.  Yes, it is somewhat thirsty on fuel, but not enough for us to dump a chunk of change on something new.  We also do use the whole van frequently enough, usually cargo, sometimes passengers (can't say we've ever done 8 yet, just 7).  Plus we plan on towing with it in the near future.

That said, we did seriously consider a Mazda5 at one point long before we got the van.  And we are thinking when it's time to replace our car (not likely for many years), then that segment is a likely one we'll look in.

I think the likely market for these are young families.  Cost is lower than a minivan, seats almost as many, better on fuel and more car like.  An alternate to a minivan (too big), sedan (too small) and to wagons.

But I do think we've sidetracked from the original topic...

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 11:13:16 am »
I think the likely market for these are young families.  Cost is lower than a minivan, seats almost as many, better on fuel and more car like.  An alternate to a minivan (too big), sedan (too small) and to wagons.

Don't forget "cooler" than a minivan and most families have 2 or less children. Hell a civic starts at just under $17K.....If I was a young family on a budget the journey would offer a better value to me.

You need to spend money to make money....all the big three need to do this. I think that they all need to fire their Bay Street marketing firms (who come up with great ideas like the ford focus and the caveman thing?) a find a small nimble marketing firm to really get their message to joe and jane public. The automotive industry advertising seems really antiquated in my opinion.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31:35 am »
Quick name the hot new Chrysler mass market product that's coming up that everyone is dying to buy over a Toyota or Honda?

Journey
7 passenger SUV with a 4 cyl engine for under $20K. That's what people want. They are just doing a horrible job of marketing it. I have a buddy, not a car nut but in need of new lease vehicle for work. Had a Ford Escape, then a Santa Fe and was looking at another escape....until I told him that for 32G he could have a loaded journey with Nav, my gig and all the toys. Done, picks it up in a couple weeks. I know about the vehicle quality......but this is what people want. Caliber has a price drop, what used to not be considered (by me anyway) at a base $16K is now in contention at $13K base. I think that if they used some money in the bank to seriously market their vehicles....not the back page of the newspaper.....I'm a car guy and I rarely look at those ads.....seriously come up with something better they would do well in this tumultuous market.

Didn't realize 7 passenger SUV'swere a "mass market"

While Chrysler won't give an official number Consumer Guide predicts production of 80,000-100,000 units annually.

Uhmmm hello Corolla, which posted record sales of 52,826 units, an increase of 12.4 percent over May 2007. So this mass market savious is equivalent to 1.5 months of Corolla sales?

This is the hot product that will save Chrysler? See this is an issue with most of the big 3latley Their home run products that can compete on a world stage are often in segments that are lower volume. What product is the big exciment around right now with Chrysler? The Challanger. how many of those will you sell? Until recently what were the two "world class" cars GM was producing the Corvette and the CTS. Low volume.  Now the new Impala may actually compete in a high volume segment but what does Chrysler have in the two highest volume segments? The Caliber and the Avenger.  Guess what platform the Journey is based on? Same mediocre engine lineup same crap plastic interior.

The game of producing a cheap base price is over becuase you can now buy a Hyundai at about the same price that doesn't have an interior that looks like snap together plastic.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45:39 am »
...autoextremist.com  has been on about the level of doofusness!!! in Detroit (Advertising,management,local Rags etc...) fer years ...read it it's FOONY and Oh so TRUE
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 11:54:38 am »

In my wife's case, it would be a 4/5 passenger awd sedan or hatch with bulletproof reliability.  Like an awd Corolla.  Something that needs no trips to the dealer for anything except putting winter tires on, and the regular oil/filter changes.  Oh, I guess she already has two choices - the Matrix, or an Imprezza.

Sorry, Chrysler, I haven't seen anything from you that interests me.  Not since I was 14, and wanted a Monaco ex-RCMP car. 

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:31:35 pm »
Not since I was 14, and wanted a Monaco ex-RCMP car. 

Me too.  :rofl:

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »
More fuel for the fire from Bloomberg

GM Bankruptcy `Not Impossible,' Merrill Analyst Says (Update3)

By Greg Bensinger and Jeff Green

July 2 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., battered by the slowest U.S. sales market in 15 years, faces the possibility of bankruptcy and may need to raise as much as $15 billion, a Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst said.

The ``dramatic drop-off'' in sales probably will continue through 2009, forcing GM to find additional funding, analyst John Murphy, who cut the Detroit-based automaker's shares to ``underperform'' from ``buy,'' said in a report. ``Bankruptcy is not impossible if the market continues to deteriorate.''

GM fell $1.23, or 10 percent, to $10.52 at 11:54 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The shares have declined 72 percent in the past 12 months, the biggest drop among the 30 companies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Murphy's assessment follows GM's report yesterday that its June U.S. auto sales fell 18 percent, as rising gasoline prices damped demand for pickups and sport-utility vehicles. Merrill's figure on how much the largest U.S. automaker may have to raise is more than estimates last month of as much as $8 billion by Bank of America Corp. and $10 billion by JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Merrill also cut its price estimate for the shares by 75 percent to $7.

The automaker has ``sufficient liquidity and financial flexibility to meet its 2008 funding requirements,'' said GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem in an e-mail. The company may consider ``reducing structural costs, selling non-core assets, and retiming or eliminating other capital spending,'' she said.

GM had $24 billion in cash and marketable securities and access to about $7 billion in undrawn U.S. loans on March 31, at least $6 billion more than it initially figured it would need for a U.S. decline, Chief Financial Officer Ray Young said on May 13.

Trimming Production

The automaker said yesterday that it plans to cut North American production this quarter 12 percent to about 900,000 vehicles. Automakers book sales when a car or truck is built, so lost output reduces revenue. Strikes at GM's largest axle supplier and two of its own plants trimmed production in the region 27 percent last quarter.

The annualized U.S. sales rate for June fell to 13.6 million cars and light trucks, the lowest since 1993. Automakers, including GM, said dealers didn't have enough fuel-efficient cars on their lots to meet customer demand. GM is adding 50,000 cars and so-called crossover sport-utility vehicles, which combine car and light-truck features, to its 2008 production plans.

The average U.S. price of gasoline rose to a record $4.09 a gallon this week, according to motorist group AAA.

GM's June decline was narrower than the 28 percent for Ford Motor Co. and 21 percent for Toyota Motor Corp. Even with Toyota's drop, Asia-based automakers outsold GM, Ford and Chrysler LLC for the second straight month. The U.S. automakers rely more on pickups, SUVs and vans.

Sales Estimate Lowered

Murphy lowered his estimates for this year's U.S. industry sales to 14.3 million vehicles from 14.8 million, and to 14 million from 15.3 million vehicles for 2009. The annual industry average this decade has been 16.8 million.

GM also said today that its sales growth in China slowed in the first half as competition intensified with Toyota and Volkswagen AG. The U.S. company boosted sales in China 14 percent in the period, compared with 19 percent a year earlier, Joseph Liu, vice president for GM China, said in an interview. GM is the biggest overseas automaker in that country.

The company's 8.375 percent note due in July 2033 fell 81 cents to 58.19 cents on the dollar, raising the yield to 14.7 percent, according to Trace, the bond-price reporting service of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.

To contact the reporters on this story: Greg Bensinger in New York at gbensinger1@bloomberg.net; Jeff Green in Southfield, Michigan at jgreen16@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: July 2, 2008 11:56 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aeoYKkRaavYE&refer=home#

barrie1

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 11:37:09 pm »
Sales may be slightly slow right now but GM is still leading the way for total sales in the US and probably around the world as well. Everybody has lost sales due to the gas issues which no car company has any control of.  :)

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 01:22:45 am »

In my wife's case, it would be a 4/5 passenger awd sedan or hatch with bulletproof reliability.  Like an awd Corolla.  Something that needs no trips to the dealer for anything except putting winter tires on, and the regular oil/filter changes.  Oh, I guess she already has two choices - the Matrix, or an Imprezza.

Sorry, Chrysler, I haven't seen anything from you that interests me.  Not since I was 14, and wanted a Monaco ex-RCMP car. 

I'll take a Challenger SRT-8 in black and get their "guaranteed" $2.99 a gallon for three years promotion please.  Might have to trade it in after 3 years though :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 01:58:46 am »
Sales may be slightly slow right now but GM is still leading the way for total sales in the US and probably around the world as well. Everybody has lost sales due to the gas issues which no car company has any control of.  :)

Leading US/Canada sales, but not global sales...That would be Toyota.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 06:46:26 am »
Yep same story on BBC now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7486972.stm

Would the US government rescue them like they did with Chrysler years ago..?  Would it be too big an impact on the US economy to let them go under?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 07:25:26 am »
Yep same story on BBC now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7486972.stm

Would the US government rescue them like they did with Chrysler years ago..?  Would it be too big an impact on the US economy to let them go under?

The US government does not have enough money to rescue themselves.