Author Topic: Honda NSX  (Read 15172 times)

Cortina

Honda NSX
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:55:41 am »

Quote from: autotrader
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/224049/hondas-next-nsx-earns-stripes.html

Text: Peter Lyon / Photos: Larson
23rd June 2008

Shrouded in a zebra-like camouflage, Honda’s new V10 supercar finally broke cover this week. And it’s the latest step in a project to replace the NSX.

Our spies caught the model lapping the Nürburgring in Germany. Development has only just started, and engineers have two targets.

Firstly, they have been challenged to get the two-door’s suspension set-up just right. But more than that, Honda wants to build the fastest production model around the circuit. And while the mechanical tweaks will be familiar territory for the firm’s technicians, breaking the lap record will be no mean feat – as the newcomer’s rivals, the Nissan GT-R and Lexus LF-A, are both capable of sub-seven minute 30 second laps of the legendary 13-mile race track.

The as-yet-unnamed coupé will get a 550bhp 5.5-litre V10 with cylinder deactivation technology. That means it will shut down five cylinders when engine load is light, thus reducing fuel consumption and emissions. Torque is set to top 570Nm, too. One source told us the 2+2 will wear a ‘hybrid’ aluminium and steel body to reduce weight, and sit on a modified version of the US Acura RL saloon platform.

An eight-speed auto gearbox with paddleshifters is on the cards, while hi-tech four-wheel drive will provide the best possible traction.

Expect the newcomer to debut in late 2010 or early 2011, when it’s likely to cost upwards of £90,000.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: Honda NSX
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:12:14 pm »
I heard hearsay that the NSX is already doing 7:37 on the 'Ring.  That strikes me as quite respectable for so early in testing.  :)  If it can do 7:30, that would be just fine, imo...  who cares if its faster than a GT-R, it's still going to cost twice as much, and that alone is enough to make people say the GT-R is the better car.

I'm undecided on the looks, myself...  lots of complaints about it being FR (or Front/AWD) and not MR like the old NSX.  IMO, though, as long as the performance is good, who cares where the engine is?  ;)

Cortina

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:16:37 am »
I'm undecided on the looks, myself...  lots of complaints about it being FR (or Front/AWD) and not MR like the old NSX.  IMO, though, as long as the performance is good, who cares where the engine is?  ;)

I think the price is shock who would thought 15 years ago they would have been a $198,000 Honda. :)

Can you Imagin 200,00 grand KIA, 15 years from now? ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:55:03 am »

It's the Dodge Charger naming scandal all over again.  Nobody thought that the Charger was a bad RWD sedan, but a lot of people felt it shouldn't bear the name of a two-door pony car.  Likewise, I'm sure nobody objects to the idea of an Acura FR grand tourer, but they feel the name "NSX" should be reserved for lightweight MR cars.

How would people react if Porsche sold a FR grand tourer with the nameplate "911"?  Not quite so heinous, but the same thing.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 03:21:38 pm »
I heard hearsay that the NSX is already doing 7:37 on the 'Ring.  That strikes me as quite respectable for so early in testing.  :)  If it can do 7:30, that would be just fine, imo...  who cares if its faster than a GT-R, it's still going to cost twice as much, and that alone is enough to make people say the GT-R is the better car.

As per the other thread, who cares which car is faster on the 'ring?  99.9% of owners will never get anywhere near testing that out anyway.  And the ring favours certain cars, just like any track.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Jameel

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:49:08 pm »
$198,000. :o

Hasn't Honda learned, that's what killed their last car. It cost too much. Honda/Acura or any other Japanese brand does not have the brand cache to pull in buyers at these prices. Only the Europeans can pull that off.  I mean the only reason the Nissan GT-R is getting so much press, because it runs with exotics at $80,000 US/CAD. If the price was $198,000 they wouldn't sell any.

I agree this abomination (FR/AWD) thing should not be called an NSX.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 01:12:47 am »

Hasn't Honda learned, that's what killed their last car. It cost too much. Honda/Acura or any other Japanese brand does not have the brand cache to pull in buyers at these prices. Only the Europeans can pull that off.  I mean the only reason the Nissan GT-R is getting so much press, because it runs with exotics at $80,000 US/CAD. If the price was $198,000 they wouldn't sell any.

I agree this abomination (FR/AWD) thing should not be called an NSX.

It's a high price but expected IMO.  The Lexus LFA is supposed to be over 200k US as well.  These types of vehicles don't really share any common platforms/engines with lower level Acuras/Toyotas so they have to charge a lot.  I'll bet the GTR will probably won't make any money for Nissan until they do some platform sharing (which I can see being quite possible though).

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:25 am »

Hasn't Honda learned, that's what killed their last car. It cost too much.

:think: Honda sold boatloads of NSXs in 1991.  The reason sales went downhill is because, for the next fifteen years, the car didn't change.  Sure, it got 20 more horsepower over that span, but by the time it was let go, the Accord was putting out nearly as much power.  The NSX name carries a lot of weight in car-nut circles, as evidenced by the uproar against calling this successor an NSX.

As for the Europeans...  Ford GT, anyone?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:34:32 am »
Perhaps the F1 inspired V10 is worth that kind of money, 'b'cause the name plate sure ain't.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 01:55:45 pm »
... :'(....10 years Late ....and 3 times TOO expensive......can U say  silly buggers ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:59:55 pm »
... :'(....10 years Late ....and 3 times TOO expensive......can U say  silly buggers ???

:iagree: And am not that keen on the styling either...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 06:06:37 pm »
 ::) lets not GIVE away tha PLOT there DAD..... :nono:

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 07:58:20 pm »
Still, can't deny the 0 - 60 in 3.5 seconds.

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »
I disagree that the new NSX is overpriced.  It's a V10 supercar with an F1-technology-laden engine and a cutting-edge AWD system; it's likely packed with lightweight materials and likely has an interior that makes the RL look like a Civic.  And it has an exhaust note that...well...words fail me.  Just listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0OTEZDAb9c

So what about this description suggests that it's not worth every penny of the estimated $200k price tag?  Sure, some badge whores might not be willing to pay $200k for an Acura, but it doesn't mean that this particular car isn't worth it.

As for comparisons with the GT-R.  The GT-R is one-dimensional.  It's about speed and speed alone, not luxury or anything else.  Like a Corvette.  The NSX is supposed to be a multifaceted speed-and-luxury machine, like the Audi R8 only more so.  Apples and oranges.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »
This car will compete against the Lexus LF.  And they both sound AWESOME as Mit pointed out...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 03:50:23 am »
This car will compete against the Lexus LF.  And they both sound AWESOME as Mit pointed out...

What the hell are you doing up at this time in the morning anyway..?
 :rofl2:

loser40

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 07:18:04 am »
The thing you might want to bare in mind is that the price quoted is for the UK car market.

In the UK, or "Rip Off Britain" as us locals call it, we are always charged much higher prices than most other countries.

An example is the GT-R... here in the UK the list price is £65,000 ($130,000 CAN), but in Canada it's around $80,000-$85,000 CAN.  You guys are paying almost 40% less !!!

Based on the above figures the new NSX may cost Canadians around $120,000 CAN ?

At $120,000 it's still more than the GT-R, but if it offers better everyday practicality, comfort, luxury, & performance many will pay the extra.

BTW - Did you know that, according to Clarkson, the GT-R in Japan sells for less than $45,000 CAN, at that price point everyone except the Japanese are being stung.

M.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 07:45:38 am »
 ??? ::) sell yer council flat fer a MILLION QUID and move ta Japan then......... :P

Jameel

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:04 am »
:think: Honda sold boatloads of NSXs in 1991.  The reason sales went downhill is because, for the next fifteen years, the car didn't change.  Sure, it got 20 more horsepower over that span, but by the time it was let go, the Accord was putting out nearly as much power.  The NSX name carries a lot of weight in car-nut circles, as evidenced by the uproar against calling this successor an NSX.

As for the Europeans...  Ford GT, anyone?

The NSX only sold well in the first year after that sales slowly declined until it was killed-off in 2005. There was several reasons the NSX didn't do well:
1. Price at the end was $140,000 CAD,
2. Engine was a V6 with "only" 290HP / 224 ft-lbs torque
3. People buying cars in this price range want a "horsie" emblem on the front hood, so they can show-off to their friends. Honda doesn't have that kind of brand image, no matter how good it was.

Honda and Toyota need to take lessons from Porsche. They made the less-expensive Boxster (and now Cayman) which shared 90% of it's components with the 911. Honda and Toyota need to have the same business plan. For example, when the S2000 was designed / released in the late 90's it should have been a mid-engine car, sharing a lot of components with the NSX. They could have kept the frame steel for the S2000 and aluminum for the NSX, but shared everything else. This could have kept costs down.

By the way, too all the guys saying this car has F1 technology so it will sell well. You seem to forget the original NSX not only had F1 technology but it was also developed and tested by an F1 driver (Ayrton Senna), and it still didn't sell well.

Quote from: loser40

At $120,000 US/CAN makes it a little easier to stomach. It's going to be a hard sell.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:10:52 am by Jameel »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 08:22:36 am »
The thing you might want to bare in mind is that the price quoted is for the UK car market.

In the UK, or "Rip Off Britain" as us locals call it, we are always charged much higher prices than most other countries.

An example is the GT-R... here in the UK the list price is £65,000 ($130,000 CAN), but in Canada it's around $80,000-$85,000 CAN.  You guys are paying almost 40% less !!!

At $120,000 it's still more than the GT-R, but if it offers better everyday practicality, comfort, luxury, & performance many will pay the extra.

BTW - Did you know that, according to Clarkson, the GT-R in Japan sells for less than $45,000 CAN, at that price point everyone except the Japanese are being stung.

M.

Are you sure you are including all taxes in those calcs?