Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Ford Focus SES sedan with five-speed manual transmission  (Read 75325 times)

Honda Owner

Mitlov and Greg, before I let you have the last word, and since you are so faithful, GM stock is trading at about $12.00. It might be a good time for you to both buy some. Toyota is valued at $214 billion (U.S.), more than 11 times more than General Motors. Toyota’s net income for the quarter soared 32 percent to a record profit that was the equivalent of $4.13 billion.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2007/08/toyota-profits-soar-beyond-analysts-forecasts.html

They really must be doing something wrong, them pesky japanese.

Mitlov

Mitlov and Greg, before I let you have the last word, and since you are so faithful, GM stock is trading at about $12.00. It might be a good time for you to both buy some. Toyota is valued at $214 billion (U.S.), more than 11 times more than General Motors. Toyota’s net income for the quarter soared 32 percent to a record profit that was the equivalent of $4.13 billion.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2007/08/toyota-profits-soar-beyond-analysts-forecasts.html

Did you just call me (1) a GM fanboy, and (2) a racist?  You have NO effing idea who you're talking to, do you?

gfyjo

I love this car.  I don't know what people have against it.  The styling is great, and I know it's pretty popular to chant "euro Focus!" but I think the euro version looks like ass, especially the interior.

But I digress. Sync is great and everything, but the Focus is not. This is just too competitive a class for Ford to be resting on its laurels, and it did the same thing with last year's Escape redesign. There just wasn't enough good engineering put into the vehicle to keep it current.

This part gets me.  Ford spent some serious R&D on the original Focus to chassis for it to be ahead of the competition, and it still competes well today.  What's not "current" about this vehicle?  According to (most) reviews I've read online, the Focus' handling is second only to the Mazda 3.  It also has the quietest interior.  It also gets great gas mileage and has six airbags standard... I'm failing to see what's outdated with this car other than it being based off the same competent and reliable platform that they've used in the past.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel.  People are looking for a well-composed, cheap, reliable car in this segment and I don't see how the Focus misses this mark at all.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos

Did you just call me (1) a GM fanboy, and (2) a racist?  You have NO effing idea who you're talking to, do you?

He did call you a GM fanboy Mitlov but I cannot parse his words to see how  he called you a racist.   However, he obviously has not read that old thread about the use of the word "japanese". 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

He did call you a GM fanboy Mitlov but I cannot parse his words to see how  he called you a racist.   However, he obviously has not read that old thread about the use of the word "japanese". 

In the United States, "japanese" is a slur for Japanese-Americans, closely tied with the period of internment.  It's highly offensive.  Calling a Japanese-American a japanese is like calling a Latino a "Spic."  It's very offensive.

Here are two WWII propaganda posters using the term in the typical way (including the phrase "stay on the job until every MURDERING japanese is wiped out"):
http://z.about.com/d/history1900s/1/0/e/Q/wwiip117.jpg
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/d-day-invasion-20.jpg

Also,

The term japanese is used in English as an abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is usually used as an ethnic slur, though English speaking countries differ in the degree they consider the term offensive. Most people of Japanese descent in these countries consider it offensive.

http://www.answers.com/topic/japanese-person-of-japanese-birth-or-descent

Putting the word "japanese" into my mouth ("They really must be doing something wrong, them pesky japanese") is calling me a Japanese-hater, just like putting the word "faggot" into my mouth would be calling me a homophobe.  Given the overall tone of Honda Owner's posts, I have no doubt that was intentional.  If he meant otherwise, he can explain himself, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:08:53 am by Mitlov »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos

In the United States, "japanese" is a slur for Japanese-Americans, closely tied with the period of internment.  It's highly offensive.  Calling a Japanese-American a japanese is like calling a Latino a "Spic."  It's very offensive.

Here are two WWII propaganda posters using the term in the typical way (including the phrase "stay on the job until every MURDERING japanese is wiped out"):
http://z.about.com/d/history1900s/1/0/e/Q/wwiip117.jpg
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/d-day-invasion-20.jpg

Also,

The term japanese is used in English as an abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is usually used as an ethnic slur, though English speaking countries differ in the degree they consider the term offensive. Most people of Japanese descent in these countries consider it offensive.

http://www.answers.com/topic/japanese-person-of-japanese-birth-or-descent

Putting the word "japanese" into my mouth ("They really must be doing something wrong, them pesky japanese") is calling me a Japanese-hater, just like putting the word "faggot" into my mouth would be calling me a homophobe.  Given the overall tone of Honda Owner's posts, I have no doubt that was intentional.  If he meant otherwise, he can explain himself, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mitlov      I DID read the thread on japanese as a racial slur and I agree entirely BUT I just don't thing he put "the word into your mouth"     I am not defending Honda Owner at all but in this instance I think you are reading something that is not there.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
My fanboy is squealing will peecee SPRAY GET RID OF THE USELESS noise..... :shuffle: :bang: :think:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
I can see this thread being deleted pretty soon.

Calm down, folks. It's just cars.  ::)
I used to work here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted

Simply too priceless to delete.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:06:16 am by articsteve »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit

Interesting prioritizing of those two alleged insults.  ;)  :rofl2:

Racial slurs and fits about whose full of what aside, I find Honda Owner's insight interesting.  Yes, the poster is clearly biased, but it's not like he's claiming he's not.  His handle is Honda Owner for crying out loud, that should be enough of a clue as to his leanings as anything.  If you still feel the need to point out that the poster is biased, congratulations, pat yourself on the back, and don't scream when you notice the elephant in the living room.   ::)

It is possible for someone to be both biased and present valuable and interesting contributions.  Think the poster is biased if you like, but don't throw a hissy fit about it.  Jesus...