Author Topic: Traffic Circles  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Circles
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:02 am »
I like them allot...but everyone in them seems to be a bit confused as to what they need to be doing.  Its not hard but whatever...

xviper

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:55 am »
They are known as "rotaries" in New England.
Does that make all who use them, "rotarians"?  Do you have to join the club before you can use them?  What if you're religious?

Seriously, in a traffic circle with 2 circles (2 lanes), what's the rule for right of way and the right way to use it?  The ones we have in the newer Calgary neighborhoods like Springband Hills are single circles.  Those are easy.  Edmonton has quite a few double lane circles and we have one big one in McKenzie Town in front of the firehall.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 01:11:09 am »
Gatineau has 4 that I know of, all close to each other... look here are 3 in one page...

I go though them carefully and as did ovr50, I too saw a woman stop inside the circle to let someone in...  ::)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:36 am »
A lot of good animations here:

http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/Dowling/index.htm

Including this one on who has right of way:

http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/Dowling/slowApproachFlashN.htm

And one on the stopping in circle problem:

http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/Dowling/NOstoppingFlashN.htm

That said, it looks like there are certainly better designs than others, and some of the older ones were not very good:

http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/mythfact1.html

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:49 am »
check this one... the magic roundabout  :o

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 01:55:30 am »
Wonder where that is?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 05:07:02 am »
What about This one?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 08:10:27 am »
I drive through one every day, it's a single laner though.  If I see a hole I just slot myself in and whip through it.  Once I'm in I assume everyone else will wait for me.  Problem is I see people stop and line up to get into the circle, you YIELD, don't stop!  Once I even saw a person stop in the circle and just wave people through, yikes!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 08:17:06 am »
I also drive through one everyday almost. It too is a single lane width though and quite small in diameter such that you have to really watch to see if someone is just passing thru or going around more than 180 degrees. I suspect it the diameter larger and lane width were two instead of one that it would not be able to perform its 2nd intended function....

...traffic calming. ::) :P
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

xviper

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29:59 am »
These people have a death wish!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:18 am »
These people have a death wish!

Looks easy enough to me... as long as you know where you are going.

What about This one?

I remember a much "prettier" one of those  near Hemel Hempstead  in the early 70's    6 small roundabouts as entrances to a bigger one. Good for testing the Lotus steering and grip.
Looking at Google Earth/Google maps it may have disappeared under the M25 now.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 08:53:44 am »
If more roundabouts are installed in Winnipeg, I'm going back to RWD or going AWD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nijZZfjHGdw&feature=related
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

UmroAyyar

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:38 am »
Well, people here are not used to it, that causes confusion. 'YIELD' is an alien subject to quite a few people driving around.

Roundabouts work on the yield principle, pretty simple (for me because I grew up driving, cycling around those).

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 09:28:11 am »
Some work well, and others are horrible.  Halifax/Dartmouth has a famous one that works so-so, the big one at Burnside was replaced by about 8 to 10 lanes and overpasses.

In Oromocto NB, there are a bunch of small ones.  They seem to work okay, but it's hard to enter them without stopping, if there are any cars inside the circle.  The diameter is small enough that you can't see signal lights on the cars in the circle, so you can't tell if they're coming through or turning out.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 09:45:03 am »
Had a near-miss in one in Ancaster just last week.  One jackass entering it failed to acknowledge the Yield sign and just entered as we were coming around.  A good hard blast on the horn woke him up.

They're really popping up like mushrooms around here.  IN the past week, I've driven on a few of them in the Waterloo area, the Ancaster one mentioned above and the one that Railton mentioned from his neighbourhood.  They're all pretty small and the only concern is other people not knowing how they're supposed to operate!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 10:55:13 am »
..Geez I drive CIRCLES around _ a _bout U lot...where are ma Magic Mushrooms.................they were great fer "apex" teaching and weak drifting in my MG Midget ...Not @ LUNCH_HOUR of(f) course.........drove ovr many of those 3 foot
 Mini 'bouts of madness they came up with...Ya have ta have a PALM TREE or a flowerbed Inna Middle  ta be Keeping it REAL.... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline getHK()

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1993 Kawasaki Ninja, 1990 Acura Integra, 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 12:18:17 am »
They are known as "rotaries" in New England.
Does that make all who use them, "rotarians"?  Do you have to join the club before you can use them?  What if you're religious?

Seriously, in a traffic circle with 2 circles (2 lanes), what's the rule for right of way and the right way to use it?  The ones we have in the newer Calgary neighborhoods like Springband Hills are single circles.  Those are easy.  Edmonton has quite a few double lane circles and we have one big one in McKenzie Town in front of the firehall.

Ha ha I know that McKenzie traffic circle that you speak of very well.  I have to drive through that circle every week to drop off a friend, and for every 4 times I drive through there I always find myself honking at other drivers who fail to yield in one way or another.  When I took my driver's ed.  my AMA instructor told me when driving through a traffic circle your left signal indicates to others that you're entering and your right signal indicates to others that you're exiting.  As for who has right of the way, those entering the circle yield to the outer lane of the circle and the outer lane of the circle yields to the inner lane of the circle. 

xviper

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 12:50:41 am »
Ha ha I know that McKenzie traffic circle that you speak of very well.  I have to drive through that circle every week to drop off a friend, and for every 4 times I drive through there I always find myself honking at other drivers who fail to yield in one way or another.  When I took my driver's ed.  my AMA instructor told me when driving through a traffic circle your left signal indicates to others that you're entering and your right signal indicates to others that you're exiting.  As for who has right of the way, those entering the circle yield to the outer lane of the circle and the outer lane of the circle yields to the inner lane of the circle. 
That makes perfect sense and now that you've put it in print, I do recall reading something to this effect a long time ago.  The few times that I have used that McKenzie circle, everyone seemed to be driving like crazy people.  The speeds could have been considered frightening for drivers who may be meek or easily intimidated.  At times like that, such people would be hard pressed to remember who has the right of way.  It's almost as if traffic circles are managed better by aggressive drivers.
PS.  Those few times I've used that circle, I have to admit that my lights and sirens make everyone else yield to me no matter what I'm doing.   :shuffle:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 10:05:15 am »
I was "brought up" with roundabouts.   I only indicate just before my exit... just to let people at that same entrance know that they now have a gap to accelerate onto the roundabout.

On a multi-lane conventional roundabout i would tend to stay in the outside lane.  If the roundabout is empty of traffic and I am going straight across I'd usually take the shortest path through tho', using all the road.

I am not sure I'd dare to do that in Canada as the populace is just not used to roundabouts. In the UK, France and Spain it works well and one can get through them quite fast with some care and anticipation as one approaches the entry point.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 12:04:23 pm »
This will be a very interesting weekend at that intersection, a lot of people will tow RVs and boats going thru it, and they are seeing a traffic circle for the very first time. Lotsa runabouts I am sure. Some people are clueless when it was a 4-way stop.