Author Topic: Finally a Montreal by-pass  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a Montreal by-pass
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:18:32 am »
In the meantime, continue to enjoy autoroute 40 and 20 during rush hour.  :D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:38:00 am »
When will the Ontario government build a bridge over or a tunnel underneath Toronto?  :)

UmroAyyar

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40:02 am »
When will the Ontario government build a bridge over or a tunnel underneath Toronto?  :)

Very unlikely. Instead, they are chopping off the section of Gardiner Expressway that connects to Don Valley Parkway. I guess they want the highway traffic going through the city. The boffins hired by the city said it will only add '2' minutes to people's commute.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:58 am »

Very unlikely. Instead, they are chopping off the section of Gardiner Expressway that connects to Don Valley Parkway. I guess they want the highway traffic going through the city. The boffins hired by the city said it will only add '2' minutes to people's commute.

Actually they want to stop traffic coming into Toronto at all... seriously.   But they don't quite  dare to do so as the  pre amalgamation City of Toronto dwellers are not in themselves a big enough population to support the business district and the business taxes that it brings. After all there is no REAL reason why the banks and the stock exchange could not move to a more tax friendly place or places in the 905.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:07:37 am »

Isn't that what the 407 is for?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:02 am »

Actually they want to stop traffic coming into Toronto at all... seriously.   But they don't quite  dare to do so as the  pre amalgamation City of Toronto dwellers are not in themselves a big enough population to support the business district and the business taxes that it brings. After all there is no REAL reason why the banks and the stock exchange could not move to a more tax friendly place or places in the 905.

I am not against the idea of removing the Gardiner but this is at best a half measure response. IMHO, if it needs to be taken down from Spadina. Make the waterfront, pedestrian friendly, a place where people would want to go, it isn't right now.

They'll have to widen the lakeshore, remove atleast half of those traffic lights, increase the speed to 80km/hr, connect it to major arteries only e.g. Spadina, Yonge, Jarvis etc.

The proposal in its current form doesn't even address their 'going green, waterfront revitalization' philosophy.

The lakefront promenade in Mississauga is a pretty neat idea. You have picnic areas and a huge area for children to play on multiple splash pads, trails and park area.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30:55 am »
"They'll have to widen the lakeshore, remove atleast half of those traffic lights, increase the speed to 80km/hr, connect it to major arteries only e.g. Spadina, Yonge, Jarvis etc.
"

And how do you get pedestrians across a 80 km/h ground level neo-expressway?????

All these plans have wide streets, as wide as University Avenue, full of traffic with pedestrian crossings on them.....

The lakeshore problem is NOT the Gardiner, it is the road running underneath it AND the wall of Condos actually on the lake front itself.

I'd suggest keeping the Gardiner, maybe double decking it even and removing the Lakeshore from Cherry to Spadina. Replace the Lakeshore with a non divided road on just the city side , use the space actually under the Gardiner for retail and have a pedestrian precinct on the lake side.  There are difficulties with this plan as with any of them... expressway exits and entrances being the main one.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 09:42:32 am »
The lakeshore problem is NOT the Gardiner, it is the road running underneath it AND the wall of Condos actually on the lake front itself.

I agree. I get tired of them saying, you can't see the lake because of the Gardiner. I'm like, How about all those condos they keep building?

Taking down the Gardiner is not the answer. You just can't make Lakeshore wide enough to support all that traffic.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:05:19 am »
Agreed, this should remain an idea. They are quite keen to tear it down though. More and more parking lots are converting into condos, they're almost brushing the highway with the condo buildings.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:17:52 am »
Why not replace the Gardiner with a Super Gardiner. Not two storey but much higher, sort of like a modern version of a Roman aquaduct. This way the traffic would be separated and views of the lake would be afforded through the arches, where condos permit. No off ramps into the city centre. It's all dream$$$...

UmroAyyar

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 10:19:55 am »
I am sorry, this thread was about Montreal.  :rofl2: We're all dreaming that the pols will do something really useful.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:43:42 pm »
Interesting how Montreal quickly turned into Toronto around here.  :D   Toronto could build a tunnel like the Ville Marie or a trench like the Decarie in Montreal.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 12:55:17 pm »
Montreal is determined to take down elevated highways: they'll spend a billion and a half $$ (IIRC) taking down the Turcott Interchange. They say that elevated highways are too expensive to maintain and were more a reflection of NA's love affair with the car than sensible road management.

They'll be building under the interchange, then take it down. I think they will be appropriating and razing over a hundred buildings to get the work down (there again, don't quote me because I haven't been following things too closely).

Anyone in Mtl notice how renovated the city core is looking these days?? I was quite impressed walking down de Maisonneuve yesterday.

robarakira

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:02 pm »
Vancouver is also getting some much-needed infrastructure stream-lining....

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/gateway/

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 02:02:21 pm »
Anyone in Mtl notice how renovated the city core is looking these days?? I was quite impressed walking down de Maisonneuve yesterday.

Whenever I'm on Ste Catherine, I notice lots of new, improved, enlarged things, too.

What was your question again?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 03:09:07 pm »
About airbags, wasn't it?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 07:11:37 pm »
Having driven though both Montréal and Toronto during rush hour I will take my chances in Montréal over Toronto any day. The lanes might be tighter and the drivers more haywire but they have higher skill sets IMO.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 07:53:51 am »
I agree with Snowman. You have to be a bit determined on those tight roads...it's expected anyway. Years ago though I think that the situation was reversed.