Author Topic: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!  (Read 30291 times)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2008, 11:13:11 am »
Many Canadians would see the trashing of TO as an incentive to buy US-built cars...

Perhaps we can convince 'em to do it again?  :rofl:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2008, 12:26:28 pm »
We know someone in the States who wouldn't buy Japanese because they wiped out his parents and most of his family during the war.  Recently he bought his first Toyota after a long string of domestics.   I guess he finally forgive and/or the merit of the product was too great.

Leviathan

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2008, 12:36:29 pm »
 ??? ::) were they from IHOP....................... :P not Far frum noogin???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2008, 12:37:33 pm »
Is that a VW Rabbit and flap jacks?   :)

Leviathan

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2008, 12:56:36 pm »
and the I Hop flopped Jack..... :stick:.......
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:58:16 pm by safristi »

Leviathan

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »
It was a hare too obvious  ::) :P

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2008, 01:01:28 pm »
..WAIT HERE! :)............. there's ...................a Bunny in my soup..............well Mr Hefner..............................!!!!!!!!

ghost

« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2008, 09:16:51 pm »
To be fair, US poured in lots of technology and money resources to Japan (maybe German too?) because of the nuclear bombs. Go do a search on Japanese automotive history after WWII. It's all worked out ultimately because America managed to groom Japanese to be a great ally in the far east during the cold war.
CAW's actions never fail to amuse me. Perhaps we only post certain biased information. Perhaps CAW does do some good. Perhaps the Titanic was sank by a German U-boat...

barrie1

« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2008, 10:14:22 pm »
I always get a kick out of Rrocket when he talks about his Alero which waen't even his and was covered for the 1st 5 or so free parts that went bad on the front end. He works making parts for the Big 3 and then says they are junk. I guess it must have something to do with the parts he makes possibly or just everybody else's fault but his? The rest of you who also have absolutely NO experience with the Unions are he ones to run them down the most. I hope its your jobs that disappear 1st as maybe then you just might figure a few things out. If you have NO experience in a Union then you should not be slagging them at all as your are truly totally clueless on the subject as usual. THis continues to be a waste of everyones time as the most of you fall into the later category for sure.  :( :(

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2008, 12:34:01 am »
Chill, Barrie, Tis' a free country ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2008, 06:25:38 am »
He works making parts for the Big 3 and then says they are junk

I guess there is nothing better than seeing it first hand!! 

Barrie, GM is on the right track with many models.  Eventually bad memories will go away, the Alero/Grand Am from GM was junk no two ways about it.

Mitlov

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2008, 12:43:53 pm »
As I said in a previous post.  I am playing the part of Devils advocate.  The reason that these ads about Pearl Harbour may work on some of the population is because of what I described.

And Mitlov I know plently of Jewish people who will not drive German cars (ie Nazi sleds in their words) so good on you for forgiving and forgetting.

::)  I haven't "forgotten" the Holocaust, and I don't appreciate your suggestion that I have.  Nor have I "forgiven" the bastards who perpetrated it.

The difference is, I don't blame the son for the sins of the father.  Here's a reality check for you and your friends: it's 2008.  World War II and the Holocaust ended sixty-three years ago.  The bastards who perpetrated it have died of old age, or are about to do so.  They're not the people running Germany or German car companies.

I've got no problem boycotting a country when bad s--- is going down in that country.  But boycotting German products today for something that happened in Germany 2/3s of a century ago is not punishing the perpetrators of the Holocaust.  This far down the line, all you're doing is boycotting people because of their ancestry.  And that's about the most ironic way I could think of to "remember" the Holocaust.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2008, 09:48:43 pm »
::)  I haven't "forgotten" the Holocaust, and I don't appreciate your suggestion that I have.  Nor have I "forgiven" the bastards who perpetrated it.

The difference is, I don't blame the son for the sins of the father.  Here's a reality check for you and your friends: it's 2008.  World War II and the Holocaust ended sixty-three years ago.  The bastards who perpetrated it have died of old age, or are about to do so.  They're not the people running Germany or German car companies.

I've got no problem boycotting a country when bad s--- is going down in that country.  But boycotting German products today for something that happened in Germany 2/3s of a century ago is not punishing the perpetrators of the Holocaust.  This far down the line, all you're doing is boycotting people because of their ancestry.  And that's about the most ironic way I could think of to "remember" the Holocaust.
Well said.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

barrie1

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2008, 10:24:11 pm »
My Father died in 1969 in the Vet Hospital here in London from wounds he received during the war. He was not from London but from a small town in Quebec but could never go home because of his injuries. He lost a lung in 1941 and spent 2 years in Hospital in Britain. Shipped home to here for more recuperation because of the post problems of loosing his lung. Asthma, Bronkitis and Emphascema all set in which kept him in the Hospital 9 months a year for the rest of his life. I do not hate either of the 2 Countries on the other side for this reason at all but do not like most imported cars. There are some I do respect there are some I will never find any use for at all. I see much pain and suffering coming to Canada all because of the Import unfairness. I will never buy any of their junk at all. I will always buy Canadian vehicles as long as I can.  :)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2008, 09:14:03 am »
My Father died in 1969 in the Vet Hospital here in London from wounds he received during the war. He was not from London but from a small town in Quebec but could never go home because of his injuries. He lost a lung in 1941 and spent 2 years in Hospital in Britain. Shipped home to here for more recuperation because of the post problems of loosing his lung. Asthma, Bronkitis and Emphascema all set in which kept him in the Hospital 9 months a year for the rest of his life. I do not hate either of the 2 Countries on the other side for this reason at all but do not like most imported cars. There are some I do respect there are some I will never find any use for at all. I see much pain and suffering coming to Canada all because of the Import unfairness. I will never buy any of their junk at all. I will always buy Canadian vehicles as long as I can.  :)

So you mean vehicles assembled by hardworking Canadians? Like Toyota or Honda?

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2008, 09:26:08 pm »
I see much pain and suffering coming to Canada all because of the Import unfairness

Please Barrie elaborate on unfairness would you, and I don`t want to hear about your Honda Civic experience.

barrie1

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20:26 pm »
Why can't we be allowed to sell vehicles in  Japan or Korea while their vehicles come in here duty free. Personally I feel the Honda Plants and Toyota as well should have never been allowed to build their factories here in Canada until they opened the doors for our products totally. Its a one sided street on this type of Free Trade as it was only free for them and not us at all. I know they will never make any money off of me for sure. You foolish people who just keep on supporting everybody but your own Country will end up learning th hard way when its your turn to be sitting with no job or only able to work in a service industry for minimum wage if you are lucky. You don't see it yet as the majority of you don't live in Ont but I do and am seeing the effects of the damage from this already. Thousands of jobs have already disappeared and they probably will never return. You folks out on the East coast might as well stay there for good as there's No jobs here for you folks any longer . Same goes for the other direction as well as we cannot feed all of our own as it is now. Go ahead and keep selling this Country out with your imported products you buy and its not just cars and trucks either. Same goes for appliances and many other goods which you won't buy that are made here.  I will never give so much as .50 for either of those two products toolatecrew has mentioned. Stung once but never twice with total trash for product. :( :( :(

Mitlov

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2008, 10:30:14 pm »
Why can't we be allowed to sell vehicles in  Japan or Korea while their vehicles come in here duty free.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/global_operations/asia_pacific/japa.jsp
http://www.gmjapan.co.jp/
http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/global_operations/asia_pacific/kore.jsp

Now that that rubbish is out of the way, let's address the rest.

You foolish people who just keep on supporting everybody but your own Country will end up learning th hard way when its your turn to be sitting with no job or only able to work in a service industry for minimum wage if you are lucky. You don't see it yet as the majority of you don't live in Ont but I do and am seeing the effects of the damage from this already. Thousands of jobs have already disappeared and they probably will never return. You folks out on the East coast might as well stay there for good as there's No jobs here for you folks any longer . Same goes for the other direction as well as we cannot feed all of our own as it is now. Go ahead and keep selling this Country out with your imported products you buy and its not just cars and trucks either.

Didn't a close relative of yours just buy a Mercedes-Benz C300?  Did you give him this sort of tongue-lashing, or do you reserve that for the safe anonymity of the internet?