Author Topic: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!  (Read 30288 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 04:06:31 pm »
..Xenophopbia.......wart Princess............. ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 04:35:09 pm »
[ the repeated use of "American" in brand mottos used down here (Chevy: "An American Revolution."  Saturn: "Rethink American

So the "American Revolution" is made in Canada and "Rethink American" comes from Europe!
To quote a Canadian: Isn't it ironic!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 04:59:37 pm »
Based on the US' new doctrine of war, pre-emptive strikes are perfectly OK.  So that legitimizes what Japan did a Pearl Harbor!!  :)

Never mind that Ford...Ford Himself was a well known anti-Semite and Nazi supporter.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 10:44:33 pm »
Might as well remember the Alamo too.   :)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:46 pm »
I'm sure this will be noticed by not only potential GM buyers (good work Ron! You know best and are a legend....in your own mind!), but also GM powers that be deciding if they want to place a new small car line up here so they have to deal with turds like this.

I really doubt any GM execs are going to :censor: a brick over this.  Why not?  Because, as impressed as I am by GM's turn-around as a whole, their advertising division continues to be annoyingly patriotic, nay, nationalistic, here in the States.  You Canadians are probably spared this stuff.  The worst offender was the Silverado's "this is our country" ad campaign, which featured a collage of everything from ranchers to construction workers to...you guessed it...THE TWIN TOWERS (or the columns of light that replaced them, to be precise).  Then there's stuff like the repeated use of "American" in brand mottos used down here (Chevy: "An American Revolution."  Saturn: "Rethink American."), which on their own, would go unnoticed, but when  combined with the "this is our country" ad campaign, really get overwhelming.

For comparison, Ford is selling products by citing reliability studies and comparative tests with the segment leaders.  Chrysler is selling vehicles on image (tough for Dodge, blingin' for the Chrysler 300, and outdoorsy for Jeep).  Neither rely on the "buy American" argument at all, at least in recent ads I've seen.

We had the "this is our country" ads here too. Some of the images were changed, but I don't think the campaign made much of an impact here.

Yep.
Ford. Built for life in Canada.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 11:53:12 am »
Not totally on topic, but related. This is an incident that happened to me yesterday that reinforces the idea that many of the public have that unions are totally self-serving, are feather-bedders, and have no sense of public opinion.

I had to get a plumber out to my house yeaterday to repair a problem with the hot water tap in the kitchen sink. As part of the process I had to turn off the main water inlet to the house. The plumber & I discovered we had a far worse problem then than the faulty kitchen tap - namely that the main inlet value started to leak once turned and appeared to be close to failing. The main inlet is 18 years old and never been turned off before. Should that valve break, the basement would immediately flood as there would no way to close off the city inlet line; short of turning off the city valve outside the house (which requires a special handle/key). In order to do this, in this town, the City Works dept must be called and they come out and do that. The independent plumber cannot turn off that valve on risk of fine; notwithstanding that it is a simple operation, takes 30 seconds, and every plumber has the same handle/key that the City uses. BUT, the City is a union-shop and they do not commit to any timeframe on their arrival plus they quit work prompltly at 4PM and will not take a job that may make them miss their 4PM quit time. The plumber called the City about 3:15 to get a City worker out to turn off the City valve so he could replace the main inlet valve in the basement. It was a serious problem as the plumber was no sure how long the inlet valve would last in it's leaky condition. There is a lot of water pressure behind that valve. One cannot call the Works ppl directly, not allowed by the Union, the Union has a dispatcher who contacts the workers. There is NO FEEDBACK to the client (the plumber I hired and am paying $85/hr for as he sits on his butt waiting for the City to come). After one hour, at well after 4PM, we together decided the City was not coming that day, and we waited long enough. The plumber used his key, turned off the City valve, fixed the main inlet problem and was gone within 30 mins after that. The City guy showed up as the plumber was leaving (nearly 2 hours after we called), and was pissed off that the plumber had "touched" the City valve. The plumber now figures he may get assessed the "fine" by the City for acting as he did.

So, I paid over a $100 in increased plumber fees (for the wait time trying to comply with the City rules), and the plumber has the City worker pissed off at him, plus he may get fined.

This is a prime case of feather-bedding in order for City workers to have a job to do, and a case of the union rules costing me money directly. Additionly, it reinforces the idea that the union is only out for itself, the public be damned.

Just an example.  :(
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 12:01:05 pm »
Guelph has the same rules for non-city workers touching the outside shut off. We needed to do the same thing as you when we were having some plumbing work done but with a difference.
Our guy called the city. The city guy appeared within 20 minutes AND waited while the main shutoff was replaced and then turned us back on before, allowed our guy to ensure that the new shutoff was not leaking and then left.

So they are not ALL that bad but Ovr you do live in the lefty union hotbed of BC....
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(  "Tha PIPES...tha PIPES..tha PIPES are calling all thru the Glen.....but Glen is Buzz Hargroves's cousin...so I'm swimmin' in effluent and I cant do di*k aboot it........I'm BURSTIN' fer a PEE too...........

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 03:04:25 pm »
As an aside and update on this issue, today's Globe reports that Mexican auto production will exceed Canadian auto production for the first time ever. In the late 80s, Canadian auto production was about 5 times that of Mexico, but the Canadian side has been shrinking, particularily lately, and the Mexican side growing. The Mexicans benefit from the factors of: 1. most of their production is at the smaller end of the auto scale, eg VWs, whereas much more  Cdn production is trucks and SUVs; and, of course, 2. the Mexican auto worker does not have the CAW (or UAW) to raise wages to uneconomic levels on a global basis.

This trend is likely to continue as more Cdn production is Detroit sourced than is the case in Mexico.

gta_driver

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:05:12 am »
This must be a new CAW marketing tactic:

Source:http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/opinion/letters/article/101556

Driver upset at treatment for driving non-GM car
Thurs June 26, 2008

To the editor:
I live across from the GM plant and I own a German car and a Ford.

I have owned three GM cars in the past but that doesn't count when I take my non-GM car out. It's great on gas and better than the Ford, so why would I drive the Ford?

I'm writing because every time I go out I get yelled at, honked at and rude remarks yelled at me.

One time I went to pick my son up from cadets and I had two GM workers driving cars lot follow me, one beside me and one behind me.

All the time they were yelling and waving their fingers at me. The last time I looked, you could own any kind of car.

I do not feel sorry for these people. Hundreds of people at GM have lost or will lose there jobs and do not carry on like this.

I don't get mad at them for not shopping where I work or buy only made-in-Canada products, so they should not harass other people.

I worked hard for my car as they have for theirs. How do they treat fellow workers who don't drive GM, because there are a lot in the parking lot.

Kim Figueiredo

Oshawa

I guess its a great way for CAW workers to get "hometown" support. I'm sure it will turn off more people from buying CAW made autos.

barrie1

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 11:47:51 pm »
Its not going to be very long at all before just about all the decent paying jobs in this country will be headed somewhere else as the Import products which are being dumped here at prices under cost continue to pour into Canada and take our jobs away. It shocks me to just see how many blind people there really are when it comes to this issue. Dump their products in Canada but we are not allowed to sell our goods there. Anybody who supports that is clueless and only out for themselves period. When their jobs do down the tube I will laugh at them as thats all they deserve.  :(

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 12:56:08 am »
Jeesh...

It seems to me that once you account for the "incentives" on many domestic vehicles they sell for less (in some cases several thousands of dollars) than what an "import" costs. I say "import" because the Corolla and Civic are made within a short drive of me here in Guelph.

Should I call a made in Mexico Fusion a "domestic"?

Many Hondas and Toyotas sell for a premium over a domestic so I can hardly see where "product dumping" comes into play. My wife and I payed a premium for our Civic and Yaris over what a domestic would have cost us. The reliablity, fuel economy, and resale value of these vehicles made it an easy call to pay more for these vehicles.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59:26 am »
Its not going to be very long at all before just about all the decent paying jobs in this country will be headed somewhere else as the Import products which are being dumped here at prices under cost continue to pour into Canada and take our jobs away. It shocks me to just see how many blind people there really are when it comes to this issue. Dump their products in Canada but we are not allowed to sell our goods there. Anybody who supports that is clueless and only out for themselves period. When their jobs do down the tube I will laugh at them as thats all they deserve.  :(

Whatever you're smoking, must be some good $hit.  Pass it around!!!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 02:28:21 am »
Guess who sells the most motorcycles in Japan over 250cc?

Harley Davidson, who owns a third of that market.

Sell something they want, and the Japanese will buy it. GM sells some vehicles at premium prices there:

Zara says the market is worth fighting for. One reason is that GM can charge premium prices. The Cadillac XLR luxury roadster, the most expensive model in GM's Japanese lineup, goes for $100,000, about 25% more than in the U.S. Indeed, GM's Japan operation continues to turn a profit

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_48/b4011054.htm

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 02:33:53 am »
Yep...GM also rocks the house pretty well in China IIRC....

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 03:11:51 am »
Yep...GM also rocks the house pretty well in China IIRC....

Buick and Volkswagen are the #1 and #2 brands in the most-populated country on the planet, if I recall correctly.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 08:52:04 am »

Here I thought Subaru charged a huge price premium in Canada but really they are dumping at less than cost? Sheesh  wonder where all this profitability propaganda from Toyota and Honda come from if they are simply dumping product?

I find it very strange how electronic manufacturers can dump their products into Canada under cost and retailers charge a lareg premium over the US for them. Retailers in Canada must have it GOOD!

unctuous

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 11:22:23 am »
Why did my post get moderated?

All I said was that buying Japanese and German cars is fufilling there imperialistic ambitions in WW2?  It is true my grandparents fought against it. 

What is with the censorship?  Did I offend someone?  Sorry if you don't wear a poppy on remembrance day but I do.

Mitlov

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 11:36:18 am »
All I said was that buying Japanese and German cars is fufilling there imperialistic ambitions in WW2?  It is true my grandparents fought against it. 

Your grandparents fought against Subaru and Audi?  Funny, all this time, I thought the Axis powers were about fascist militarist expansion, not consumer commodities sold by private corporations to make a profit...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 11:41:24 am »
My grandpa told me the story of 'frog in a well' long long ago, ...

... "There was a complacent frog who observed the world from the bottom of a deep well. The frog knew everything about his immediate surroundings, yet hadn't a clue about the vast possibilities that lay just beyond his view. What the frog saw and experienced at the bottom of the well shaped its perspective on the world and how it interpreted what it couldn't see." ...

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/give/bene69/bene69story8.html