Author Topic: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!  (Read 30253 times)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2008, 10:48:14 pm »
Barrie, Canada is not as weak as you think it is.

Sure, manufacturing is headed out. No two ways about it. However, like people, countries have to adapt quickly to change. There are tremendous natural resources available in Canada. If all the manufacturing jobs go overseas, what is Canada to do? Cry hoarse that there are no more jobs available, or create high value jobs that are specific to Canada's strengths? Why can't Canada excel in design? Education is good, infrastructure is good. As far as I can see, Canada is ideally placed to excel. If it doesn't it is due to people who rather than create ideas, complain.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2008, 11:04:10 pm »
GM can and does sell vehicles in BOTH of those countries, as well as China.  I know for a FACT that you stating they can't sell there is 100% complete BS from the CAW.  How do I know?  My best friend James works at the minivan plant and said the EXACT same BS.  When I showed him evidence to the contrary he seemed a bit shocked the union would not be truthful about it.

But get ready for it to be worse.  Ken Lewenza is trying to replace Hargrove as union head.  He says he will never accept any two tier wages or wage rollbacks EVER.  All I can saw to you CAW-types is start looking for a job now.  You guys are already priced higher than the US, let alone Mexico.  And Lewenza will price you guys right out of the market.  What the CAW needs is a new, educated, young, progressive leader who may make some difficult choices to keep job here.  Remember...saving wages and saving jobs are 2 different things.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2008, 11:05:36 pm »
GM can and does sell vehicles in BOTH of those countries, as well as China.  I know for a FACT that you stating they can't sell there is 100% complete BS from the CAW.  How do I know?  My best friend James works at the minivan plant and said the EXACT same BS.  When I showed him evidence to the contrary he seemed a bit shocked the union would not be truthful about it.

http://www.cadillac.co.jp/

In fact, Automobile Magazine recently tested a CTS in Japan.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2008, 11:09:04 pm »
BMW and Merc also sell in Japan, and put up pretty good numbers.  Wonder what Caddie numbers are for Japan??

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2008, 11:22:29 pm »
When the product is competitive and of good value, people will buy it. Cannot be any more simpler than that.

Mitlov

« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2008, 11:31:13 pm »
BMW and Merc also sell in Japan, and put up pretty good numbers.  Wonder what Caddie numbers are for Japan??

First-gen was probably crap.  Second-gen?  Let's wait and see, but it's competing on a whole new level, and right on par with its German peers (well, right on par with the average between a 3-Series and a 5-Series, which is where it's at in terms of size, handling, and pricing).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2008, 11:36:19 pm »
^^Which isn't too different price-wise in Canada either....

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2008, 12:24:10 am »
.... I see much pain and suffering coming to Canada all because of the Import unfairness. I will never buy any of their junk at all. I will always buy Canadian vehicles as long as I can.  :)

Barrie, you crack me up  :D    This has been an interesting read for sure   :-\

Based on what you are saying re imports ruining our county, I would assume you would not want any Canadian product exported as it could ruin someone else's  economy.  Is this correct?  And if so, how would you tell all the exporting companies and their workers/family's in Canada that they should not export?  You can come to BC and start with the us forest industry workers.  Might as well kick us while we're down anyway, we are much easier to hit when we are not moving.

If you are OK with Canadian exports, how do you explain the hypocrisy of your statements?    ???

Mods, maybe time this was shuffled off to the political discussion section    :P
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Mitlov

« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2008, 01:24:23 am »

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2008, 06:03:15 am »
Why can't we be allowed to sell vehicles in  Japan or Korea while their vehicles come in here duty free. Personally I feel the Honda Plants and Toyota as well should have never been allowed to build their factories here in Canada until they opened the doors for our products totally. Its a one sided street on this type of Free Trade as it was only free for them and not us at all. I know they will never make any money off of me for sure. You foolish people who just keep on supporting everybody but your own Country will end up learning th hard way when its your turn to be sitting with no job or only able to work in a service industry for minimum wage if you are lucky. You don't see it yet as the majority of you don't live in Ont but I do and am seeing the effects of the damage from this already. Thousands of jobs have already disappeared and they probably will never return. You folks out on the East coast might as well stay there for good as there's No jobs here for you folks any longer . Same goes for the other direction as well as we cannot feed all of our own as it is now. Go ahead and keep selling this Country out with your imported products you buy and its not just cars and trucks either. Same goes for appliances and many other goods which you won't buy that are made here.  I will never give so much as .50 for either of those two products toolatecrew has mentioned. Stung once but never twice with total trash for product. :( :( :(

For as long as I can remember GM has been bringing here imports they make themselves in europe, korea and australia sell them here.  So everytime a Saab, Suzuki, Aveo, Verona, Holden, new Vue, Aura, Astra is sold at a GM dealership does that not stick it to the CAW/UAW workers.  And self inflicted to boot...OMG.  Do you also remember the old Nova(rebadged Corolla), the Lemans(rebadged Daewoo).

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:53 am »
Come on, guys, you all know Barrie is a died-in-the-wool union guy who had drank the union bathwater for so long, he cannot see any other POV but the union line.

Arguing here with him is pointless, as facts are totally ignored by the union promoters and union biased dogma is taken as the gospel truth. Facts are no consequence; thus no argument can proceed logically and you can never change the mind (?) of the poster.

You will get no logical nor factual comments from such posters.

That has been my experience here anyway.  ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2008, 01:06:14 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2008, 04:08:58 pm »
Barrie has a lot of experience, in the motor industry and with unions.  I know many people on here don't agree with him, myself also at times, but he is genuine, very kind and good hearted.  The basis of his sentiments were formed back in the day when GM were one of the greatest auto manufacturers in the world, and when Honda's were designed to be thrown away.

OK things have moved on a bit now, but cut him some slack for seeing more auto manufacturing than most people on this forum put together...

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2008, 04:35:54 pm »
^^What he said...

Mitlov

« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2008, 08:24:59 pm »
Barrie has a lot of experience, in the motor industry and with unions.  I know many people on here don't agree with him, myself also at times, but he is genuine, very kind and good hearted.  The basis of his sentiments were formed back in the day when GM were one of the greatest auto manufacturers in the world, and when Honda's were designed to be thrown away.

OK things have moved on a bit now, but cut him some slack for seeing more auto manufacturing than most people on this forum put together...

:)

I'll cut him all the slack he wants  for his once-burned, twice-shy attitude toward Honda, even though I have had wonderful experiences with the three Hondas I've owned.  HOWEVER, when he posts something that is both factually dead wrong and inflammatory, such as "Japan won't let us sell American cars over there," I'm going to call him on it.  No amount of manufacturing experience entitles someone to spout inaccurate facts without getting some criticism in return.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00:10 pm »
^^^^In Barrie's defense, the CAW has been spoon-feeding that BS to its members since NAFTA/AutoPact.  So Barrie is only repeating the false information that the CAW has been telling its members for years.....

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2008, 10:42:36 pm »
rrocket wrote: “BMW and Merc also sell in Japan, and put up pretty good numbers.  Wonder what Caddie numbers are for Japan??

Here are the numbers:

Brand        June   Y-T-D
Lexus        2095   14808
BMW         4828   19544 (Mini and Alpina not included)
Cadillac         84      493
MB            4170   20372

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2008, 10:44:37 pm »
Caddie numbers are pretty bad.  It's priced competitively too...in between the 3 Series and 5 Series like it is here....

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2008, 12:12:44 am »
Mitlov - "No amount of manufacturing experience entitles someone to spout inaccurate facts without getting some criticism in return."

I agree, and that is one of my points. One would think that someone who spent that much time in an auto plant would understand a bit more about the realities of the current marketplace. It appears to be asking too much. I have witnessed over 5 years of inaccuracies and misleading posts that cannot be ignored. Union brain-washing is a dangerous thing, and, in this case at least, seems to have worked pretty well.

BS needs to be called. I have done so in the past, and will do so in the future (even if I am less involved with the Forum than before).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2008, 06:48:06 am »
Mitlov - "No amount of manufacturing experience entitles someone to spout inaccurate facts without getting some criticism in return."

I agree, and that is one of my points. One would think that someone who spent that much time in an auto plant would understand a bit more about the realities of the current marketplace. It appears to be asking too much. I have witnessed over 5 years of inaccuracies and misleading posts that cannot be ignored. Union brain-washing is a dangerous thing, and, in this case at least, seems to have worked pretty well.

BS needs to be called. I have done so in the past, and will do so in the future (even if I am less involved with the Forum than before).

BS part is like road rage, use the ignore button, it make life easier ;D