Author Topic: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!  (Read 30252 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Yes, believe it or not there is a redneck heaven and it can be found in Oshawa. From FP:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpposted/archive/2008/06/18/union-leader-urges-americans-not-to-buy-japanese-vehicles-invokes-pearl-harbour.aspx

" Union leader urges Americans not to buy Japanese vehicles, invokes Pearl Harbour
Posted: June 18, 2008, 2:44 PM by Nicolas Van Praet

A senior labour leader with the Canadian Auto Workers union confronted Americans buying Asian cars recently about their choices and compared Japanese car dealers to the enemy in the Second World War, according to a union summary of the trip.

Ron Carlyle, the CAW's chair representing workers at General Motors Corp.'s car plant in Oshawa, Ont., spoke at a GM union leadership meeting this past spring about a trip he took to a NASCAR event in the United States. Minutes of the meeting, dated March 20 and posted on the CAW Local 222 website, describe what Mr. Carlyle said.

"Ron spoke about NASCAR trip. He questioned Americans buying Kia, Toyota, Honda. Reminded them of 9/11. 'Would you buy from Iraqi or Afghani dealerships?' Their response was 'No!' So Ron asked 'Why do you buy from Japanese dealers?  - What about Pearl
Harbour?'"

Mr. Carlyle was one of the CAW leaders who recently travelled to GM's headquarters in Detroit to attempt to convince the company's senior executives to reverse a decision to shut down the Oshawa truck plant next year. The union has so far failed in attempts to keep the factory open.

Financial Post"

I'm sure this will be noticed by not only potential GM buyers (good work Ron! You know best and are a legend....in your own mind!), but also GM powers that be deciding if they want to place a new small car line up here so they have to deal with turds like this.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:27:01 am »
"'Would you buy from Iraqi or Afghani dealerships?' "

You bet!  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:34:13 am »
I suppose he could have brought up the sinking of neutral US ships by U-boats before the US declared war in 1941 as well... so no German cars either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:38:48 am »
"A senior labour leader with the Canadian Auto Workers union confronted Americans buying Asian cars recently about their choices and compared Japanese car dealers to the enemy in the Second World War, according to a union summary of the trip."

Now why would GM sell their precious cars to the enemy? I guess I know, so they wouldnt go too far and attack us  :rofl2:

Jokes aside my GrannyAM 4 cyl made it to 285 clicks not long ago  :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:39:40 am »
How about 'remember the war of 1812?'

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:41:51 am »
How about 'remember the war of 1812?'

That is why French still dont buy a Lada  :(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:48:49 am »
I think 10d meant the "other" 1812  8)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:25 am »
 ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:41 am »
A new low by a CAW rep - but just as easy could have been out of the mouth of a UAW rep also.

Simply one lowlifer trying to appeal to the paranoid instincts of similar lowlifers.

The way to solve the problem with Big 3 vehicles is to fail to buy other makers products? That would be typical union-mentality thinking.  >:( :P :P
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:23:37 am »
I'm sure this will be noticed by not only potential GM buyers (good work Ron! You know best and are a legend....in your own mind!), but also GM powers that be deciding if they want to place a new small car line up here so they have to deal with turds like this.

I really doubt any GM execs are going to :censor: a brick over this.  Why not?  Because, as impressed as I am by GM's turn-around as a whole, their advertising division continues to be annoyingly patriotic, nay, nationalistic, here in the States.  You Canadians are probably spared this stuff.  The worst offender was the Silverado's "this is our country" ad campaign, which featured a collage of everything from ranchers to construction workers to...you guessed it...THE TWIN TOWERS (or the columns of light that replaced them, to be precise).  Then there's stuff like the repeated use of "American" in brand mottos used down here (Chevy: "An American Revolution."  Saturn: "Rethink American."), which on their own, would go unnoticed, but when  combined with the "this is our country" ad campaign, really get overwhelming.

For comparison, Ford is selling products by citing reliability studies and comparative tests with the segment leaders.  Chrysler is selling vehicles on image (tough for Dodge, blingin' for the Chrysler 300, and outdoorsy for Jeep).  Neither rely on the "buy American" argument at all, at least in recent ads I've seen.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:29:49 am »

I really doubt any GM execs are going to :censor: a brick over this.  Why not?  Because, as impressed as I am by GM's turn-around as a whole, their advertising division continues to be annoyingly patriotic, nay, nationalistic, here in the States.  You Canadians are probably spared this stuff.  The worst offender was the Silverado's "this is our country" ad campaign, which featured a collage of everything from ranchers to construction workers to...you guessed it...THE TWIN TOWERS (or the columns of light that replaced them, to be precise).  Then there's stuff like the repeated use of "American" in brand mottos used down here (Chevy: "An American Revolution."  Saturn: "Rethink American."), which on their own, would go unnoticed, but when  combined with the "this is our country" ad campaign, really get overwhelming.

For comparison, Ford is selling products by citing reliability studies and comparative tests with the segment leaders.  Chrysler is selling vehicles on image (tough for Dodge, blingin' for the Chrysler 300, and outdoorsy for Jeep).  Neither rely on the "buy American" argument at all, at least in recent ads I've seen.

We had the "this is our country" ads here too. Some of the images were changed, but I don't think the campaign made much of an impact here.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:32:26 am »
Remember 5th Grade?  :P :P

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:41:42 am »
Nothing wrong with some "in your face" patriotism.   

Cool Britannia
Je garde la France

etc. to name but two recent campaigns one national and one for France vs. the EU.

Seen from the pov of a brit living in Canada  I have no problem with the overt almost Jingoistic flag waving patriotism of Americans....  after all, my lot had an empire once ourselves  :o :run:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:51 am »
Nothing wrong with some "in your face" patriotism.   

Nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't have to be so offensive and controversial, ... and only comes out when their own asse$ ARE OFF ON THE LINE.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:58:04 am »
Tha Irish gave the EURo's da FINGER................but that lot are scheming  and steaming a NEW PILE..... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:58 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with patriotism, but to invoke the historical events of 67 years ago as a reason not to buy products from a country (which are likely made in Canada or the US anyway), is needlessly alarmist and jingoistic. Of course, the CAW rep would never mention the carpet bombing of German cities (military targets - nope), or the 2 atomic bombs on Japan (military targets - nope). If Pearl Harbor is fair game, why not Dresden and Hiroshima??

And ppl wonder why unions have little respect in NA......?!?

echo7

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:43 pm »
I've seen the SUBARU commercials and GM is marketing them as Japanese cars....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZBtbkGSfM

So does this mean do not buy subarus?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 12:29:42 pm »
Kia is korean...  we had nothing to do with pearl harbor.  we were forcibly occupied by japanese at the time!!

anyway.  the movie was ok(if there weren't kate beckinsale, i don't think i would've liked it as much.) but the book sucked.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:10 pm »
Great... Crank out the Zenophobia :(

This speaks of desperation. I guess I should turf my Seiko watches as well... :o

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 03:25:39 pm »

"Ron spoke about NASCAR trip. He questioned Americans buying Kia, Toyota, Honda. Reminded them of 9/11. 'Would you buy from Iraqi or Afghani dealerships?' Their response was 'No!' So Ron asked 'Why do you buy from Japanese dealers?  - What about Pearl Harbour?'"

What the hell has Iraq got to do with 9/11 anyway?

And what about the war with the British, should they not buy any British cars... Oh, hang on, there are no* British car manufacturers left, the unions put them all out of business...

*(large scale)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...