Author Topic: Eyeglasses  (Read 19471 times)

gottarondo

Eyeglasses
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:30 pm »
I just got myself a new pair of glasses, the trendy kind that have the wide sidearms (temples).  My old glasses are ten years old so I thought it was time to catch up with current styles.  Naturally I look stunning in them 8) but for driving, I'm sticking to my old ones.  Those wide temples are like driving a freaking panel van.  You go to check your blind spot BUT YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING.  You can't do a meaningful shoulder check unless you swivel your head all the way around and I'm not a contortionist.

Anyone else wearing these and find them equally annoying?  Almost all the ones in the stores were similar, and sunglasses come like this too.  I think drivers wearing these things would be more dangerous than driving while yakking on the phone.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Eyeglasses
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:50 pm »
The only thing annoying about eyeglasses is the outrageous markup on frames and the intentional lack of parts.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:33 pm »
Lasik FTW!!!  :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:35 pm »
I have two pairs for night driving, both small (chicken leg like) arms, I didn't like the  side arms. ... and I look marvellous in my glasses.  8) 8)

vdk

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:02:55 am »
Yup... it's really annoying when you can't see with the corner of your eye... I usually look over them but yeah... it takes some getting used to..  :)

UmroAyyar

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:09:28 am »
I just got myself a new pair of glasses, the trendy kind that have the wide sidearms (temples).  My old glasses are ten years old so I thought it was time to catch up with current styles.  Naturally I look stunning in them 8) but for driving, I'm sticking to my old ones.  Those wide temples are like driving a freaking panel van.  You go to check your blind spot BUT YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING.  You can't do a meaningful shoulder check unless you swivel your head all the way around and I'm not a contortionist.

Anyone else wearing these and find them equally annoying?  Almost all the ones in the stores were similar, and sunglasses come like this too.  I think drivers wearing these things would be more dangerous than driving while yakking on the phone.

I went through the same exercise last month. The temple arm joint with the lens frame is about 1cm and gets thinner towards the ear.Had some scary moments, not being able to spot a car in the next lane.

I use my previous eyeglasses with thin temple arms for driving now.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:52:55 am »
My perfect driving glasses are the so called "frameless" kind.  No frame around the lens and thin temple arms.  As close to not wearing glasses as I can get.

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:15:36 am »
My perfect driving glasses are the so called "frameless" kind.  No frame around the lens and thin temple arms.  As close to not wearing glasses as I can get.

I like those.

gottarondo

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:25 pm »
That's my next pair too, I think! 

Yup... it's really annoying when you can't see with the corner of your eye... I usually look over them but yeah... it takes some getting used to..  :)

I try that, but then I get confused about why I'm wearing glasses in the first place...
Fortunately my vision isn't so impaired that it matters, but I know some people who wouldn't see a fire truck in their blind spot if they weren't looking through the lenses. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 12:14:56 pm »
 8) 8) :o 8) 8) :o..IGotta roundones
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 12:26:45 pm »

I second that.  Lasik with the custom cornea wavefront. Now the only glasses I wear is a nice set of polarized Serengeti's. :thumbup:

suds.1a

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:34:47 pm »
me, i dont like having someone with a lazer cuttin into my eyes.
call me old fashioned. but glasses will work for me in the near future. 8)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 05:44:31 pm »

I second that.  Lasik with the custom cornea wavefront. Now the only glasses I wear is a nice set of polarized Serengeti's. :thumbup:

Had one eye done in '95 with PRK, 95% successful
Had the other done in 'o1 with Lasik 100% successful
 I was going get the custom wavefront or what ever they were calling it, but my eyes were to bad to get the top of line , so I got the $490 stuff it work great

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 07:19:14 pm »
Had both my eyes done with the Lasik procedure.  I've been glasses free for almost 10 years.  Age is catching up though; I've recently had to give in and use reading glasses, the kind from the drug store.

What is custom cornea wavefront?  Is that some sort of shaping technique beyond the basic laser cutting of Lasik?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:27:55 pm »
It's odd.  It's like everyone in the world is near sighted (can't see far).

Am I the only person that is far sighted?  I can see perfectly clear for everything but can't see small text (like books / computer screens) to save my life.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 07:29:35 pm »

Had one eye done in '95 with PRK, 95% successful
Had the other done in 'o1 with Lasik 100% successful
 I was going get the custom wavefront or what ever they were calling it, but my eyes were to bad to get the top of line , so I got the $490 stuff it work great

What was your prescription and how much astigmatism?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:48:17 pm »

Am I the only person that is far sighted?  I can see perfectly clear for everything but can't see small text (like books / computer screens) to save my life.

Being farsighted at your age is unusual.  Hyperopia (non age related farsightedness) is something I've only encountered once or twice before.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:37 pm »
Interesting.  Yeah actually when I got my first set of glasses (I think I was 20 or 21) my prescription was +4 and +2... and 10 years later it still is the same.  The doctor was like, "I don't know how they never noticed this."  As a child I always complained it hurt when I would read, my Mom always just said it was because I wasn't "use to it".  So I never read because it hurt my eyes after about an hour.

Turns out it was because I needed glasses, even when I finally got glasses I could stare at the computer screen all day but at the end of the day I would have a headache or "sore" eyes.  My muscles were strong enough to overcome the vision problem.  Of course it got worse over time and the muscles are slowly getting weaker.

Now I can't see without my glasses because the muscles are not strong anymore.

xviper

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:10:50 pm »
the trendy kind that have the wide sidearms (temples)
So, who decides what's "trendy" and what's not?  Has it something to do with that one guy who won the Canadian Idol contest?  Sorry, but not a "trend" follower.  Those wide arm glasses are just plain goofy and make people look like nerds.  Or is it because nerds are "in" these days?

Nope.  I'm farsighted, too.  I was just fine till I hit 40.  Then I needed reading glasses.  It's gone to crap since then.  I can see distance just fine.  Give it another 10 years and you won't be able to read big print either.  I can't see small print to save other peoples' lives.   :cp2:   ;)