Author Topic: We Need a Minivan Revolution!  (Read 6859 times)

Ilpav

We Need a Minivan Revolution!
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:08:34 pm »
Who here would like to replace their big V6 minivans with smaller 4-cyl ones that can take just as many people and their cargo, while being much more fuel efficient?

There are current offerings from Mazda with the Mazda5 and Kia with the Rondo, but why the hell haven't bigger car makers like Toyota and Honda made any yet? They can at least offer their Odysseys and Siennas with 4-cyls, but that would put too much strain on a smaller engine.

If Toyota and Honda made 7-seater MPVs with 4-cyls, they would sell like hotcakes.

I had access to the 2009 Toyota Matrix for the past week and It's pretty huge inside, it's even bigger than the Camry. Even with it's 1.8L engine, it handled the heft of the Matrix pretty well. So what would be the problem with offering the same sort of thing, but with space for 7 people and their luggage? They can offer both their 1.8L and 2.4L. Even the 2.4 will be much more fuel efficient than a V6-powered Sienna, while being able to hold the same amount of people and their luggage.

Plus, they should be offered with a manual and an automatic transmission with no less than 5 gears with a very long 5th gear which will increase efficiency even more.

Yes, this post is mainly about the ridiculous prices we pay at the pump these days.  >:(

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: We Need a Minivan Revolution!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:10 pm »
The 1st gen Odyssey would sell like crazy if it was offered NOW.

Heck, if Honda offered the current Odyssey sold in Japan and Australia, it would sell pretty good.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:40 pm »

IIRC the Stream is offered with a 4cyl.

Probably similar to the 2.4 in the Accord we have here.

My girlfriend's parents (Guangzhou, China) have one and I'm pretty sure its a 4 banger. Their Accord is also I guess. ???

Clearly gasoline isn't expensive enough just yet. :P
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:29:04 pm »
Or the Stream ^^. That looks GREAT. I am sure we would trade in our Odyssey for that in a heartbeat, as long as it seats seven with reasonable cargo space.

Ilpav

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49:36 pm »
That Honda Stream is a great example. Why can't they make it available here?

Another thing I want to add: these 4-cyl vans should also have direct-injection engines for even more efficiency.

vdk

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:53:41 am »
I think the 5 is a great car if you need a lot of space but don't want/like a minivan....

:thumbup: Mazda!

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:05:11 am »
That Honda Stream is a great example. Why can't they make it available here?

Another thing I want to add: these 4-cyl vans should also have direct-injection engines for even more efficiency.

More aren't available right now because frankly, they don't sell in the States (the majority of the North American market).  Mazda5s and Rondos are still rarities around here, whereas the new Grand Caravan and Town & Country are everywhere (even though they've been out for less than a year!).

With gas prices climbing at a remarkable rate down here, though, that may change over the next couple years.

JBrill

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:27:08 am »
Even better, offer a 4-cyl diesel in my Odyssey so I can at least have some torque to get the beast moving.

The variable cylinder management works ok (6-cyl to 3-cyl) but a diesel 4-banger would be awesome.  I believe VW will be offering one soon in a Dodge minivan makeover...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:37:49 am »
Mazda 5 with a 1.XL turbo diesel getting 5-6L/100km in city driving?  Oh, yeah!  I'd love to see a bunch of the minivans with economy drivelines AND the CUV's (Forester, CR-V, etc) with them too.

GM is selling Hummer, perhaps?  Maybe use the cash to come out with a Mazda 5 competitor in either diesel or hybrid form...

...nah, makes WAY too much sense.  They're up production of the Yukon XXXXXXL instead....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:53:21 am »
Wasn't there some talk of the Zaphira coming here?

When we were looking, the "mini"-vans were ruled out pretty quickly because they've all become just too friggin' big. Mrs_T wouldn't drive the Odyssey I brought home for her to try. She did like the Mazda5, as did I, but we couldn't come to terms with the dealer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:57:10 am by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:05:40 am »
Mazda5 is brilliant, moreso with the extra fuel economy bump this year. I'm elated to see so many being driven by hip folks with baby seats in the 2nd row... perfect application.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:25:14 am »
I like the Mazda5.  :thumbup: :thumbup: Seen the Honda Stream in Asia, looks rather refreshing. My sister still have their 1st gen Honda Odyssey, 300+ KM still running strong. With gas prices hike like these, people will eventually buy these.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 12:05:19 pm »
I think the 5 is a great car if you need a lot of space but don't want/like a minivan....

:thumbup: Mazda!

?
Why would you say that?  The 5 is a minivan.  Smaller than most, yes, but it's a minivan.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:57 pm »
..Give IT a double Turbo ... Hot 4 diesel...0-60 in 3.7....and I'll adopt 4 "children"...Id,Meow,Inco & Giant D.... ;D :stick: >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:33 pm »
I had this conversation last weekend with a friend of mine with a Grand Caravan. The Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo are awesome compromises between space and fuel efficiency.

How about a hybrid Sienna using the same powerplant as the Camry Hybrid? I like to think of Mazda 5s and Kia Rondos as "microvans". In reality though they aren't much smaller than the minivans of the 1980s. Putting a diesel into these would make an awesome sales vehicle for me! :)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »
Mazda 5 with a 1.XL turbo diesel getting 5-6L/100km in city driving?  Oh, yeah!  I'd love to see a bunch of the minivans with economy drivelines AND the CUV's (Forester, CR-V, etc) with them too.

GM is selling Hummer, perhaps?  Maybe use the cash to come out with a Mazda 5 competitor in either diesel or hybrid form...

...nah, makes WAY too much sense.  They're up production of the Yukon XXXXXXL instead....

For their ever expanding waistlines?  :run: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 03:08:38 pm »
It's a cultural thing, it's like buying a truck that can carry a heavy load and still do 0-60 in under 7 seconds, why ..?

The ever increasing price of fuel will probably start to have an effect over the next few years, and people may start to demand more diesels too...  It'll take a while, but there'll never be enough demand for the Euro Focus!  :P

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 06:04:20 pm »
Mazda5 is brilliant, moreso with the extra fuel economy bump this year. I'm elated to see so many being driven by hip folks with baby seats in the 2nd row... perfect application.

Could you even fit in a Mazda 5 ???
I sat in one and the seat did not travel far enough back for me

gottarondo

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 06:34:51 pm »
I agree that the 5 and the Rondo only seem like microvans because today's minivans have become maxi.

I saw a first-gen Mazda MPV shortly after we bought the Rondo, and wondered Hey, why didn't we see something like that on the Mazda lot?  I like it better than the 5.  We couldn't sit in the 5 either - head brushed ceiling, knees hit steering column. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:47:13 pm »
For their ever expanding waistlines?

Though, this might work out.  With the increasing cost of food, perhaps the Yanks (and many Canucks now too!) will cut back, get thinner, and actually fit in vehicles like the Fit (punny!) and Yaris, etc.  Then they can enjoy lower energy costs.  Wow, imagine people actually consuming what they NEED, instead of just stuffing their faces and gas tanks with as much as possible?

Aw, :censor:, what I am saying?  Gluttony will prevail...