Author Topic: Toyota gets attacked for worker rights abuses  (Read 20601 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Toyota gets attacked for worker rights abuses
« on: June 18, 2008, 07:48:51 pm »
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/18/toyota-gets-attacked-for-worker-rights-abuses/

In the last ten years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of foreign guest workers employed in Aichi Prefecture, home to Toyota and the country’s auto industry.  The surge of poor foreign guest workers coincides with Toyota’s ten year plan to slash the price it is willing to pay its auto part suppliers.  Toyota is more than half way into its ten year plan, which in the first three years called for price cuts of up to 30 percent followed by a further 15 percent cut in the fourth through sixth years.  There are four years left in Toyota’s cost reduction program.

Foreign guest workers are not only stripped of their passports—one of the most serious of all human rights violations—they are also prohibited from leaving the factory they are contracted to, or even changing the housing they are assigned.  If a guest worker dares change jobs or moves, he or she will be immediately and forcibly deported.  Moreover, if guest workers even dare to complain about the abusive and illegal conditions, they will also be deported.

http://www.nlcnet.org/article.php?id=562#Toyota%20Linked%20to%20Human%20Trafficking

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota gets attacked for worker rights abuses
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:03:35 pm »
From the link:

Sweatshops and human trafficking:  Toyota’s parts supply chain is riddled with sweatshop abuse, including the human trafficking of tens of thousands of foreign guest workers—mostly from China and Vietnam—to Japan, where they are stripped of their passports and forced to work grueling hours seven days a week, often earning less than half the legal minimum wage.  Sixteen-hour shifts, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight are common.

Most of the article is referring to labour conditions in Asia.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:12:40 pm »
Turning out good parts at least.   :run:

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:10:14 am »
From the link:

Sweatshops and human trafficking:  Toyota’s parts supply chain is riddled with sweatshop abuse, including the human trafficking of tens of thousands of foreign guest workers—mostly from China and Vietnam—to Japan, where they are stripped of their passports and forced to work grueling hours seven days a week, often earning less than half the legal minimum wage.  Sixteen-hour shifts, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight are common.

Most of the article is referring to labour conditions in Asia.

Even so, the portion Cord cited describes these very same abuses in Aichi Prefecture.

And so what if the majority of the abuses happened in mainland Asia, at Toyota's parts suppliers' factories?  We all know that if Ford chose to use a parts supplier, based out of, say, Mexico, that used sweatshop conditions, people would criticize Ford for that choice.  Nobody would say "but that didn't happen in the USA" or "that was just a parts supplier."

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:31 am »
I agree with what you said, Motlov. It is sad and sickening to see stuff like that. Perhaps some form of union is needed for workers in those working conditions.

Unfortunately, it is a deep root problem, and will take decades to improve in those countries. Pointing the finger and criticize certain companies using the labor force and manufacturing facilities there won't do anything.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:22:19 am »
Sort of a variant on the Nike argument.

Which would you rather; your daughter in a Nike sweatshop or on the street selling herself to the tourists.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:29:17 am »
I agree with what you said, Motlov. It is sad and sickening to see stuff like that. Perhaps some form of union is needed for workers in those working conditions.

I agree.  It's really disappointing to me that there's been more outrage on this forum over a silly "buy domestic" statement by a CAW spokesperson than these very serious abuses.  Some unions may have gone a little too far here in North America, but a world without organized labor is a miserable place indeed.

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:00 am »
Sort of a variant on the Nike argument.

Which would you rather; your daughter in a Nike sweatshop or on the street selling herself to the tourists.

That argument ignores option 3: Nike/Toyota's parts suppliers/etc could have a shred of responsibility and pay its Southeast Asian workers a living wage (which still is an absolutely tiny amount over there compared to a typical wage in North America or Japan) while only making them work 8-12 hour shifts instead of 16+.  They would still make a profit; the locals would still have jobs, but the locals would also have reasonable living conditions.

Just because a local employment market is so bad that an employer CAN find people who will work in near-slave-labor conditions doesn't mean a company SHOULD exploit that.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:04 pm »
..HUH.... Maybe the US SUPREME (there's a monniker!!!!) Court could Rule Not just on Guantanamo but tha WORLD.........sheesh such HUBRIS........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:55 pm »
Give, take, steal ... people and gov't will do whatever they can get away with ...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:01:19 pm »
Unfortunately, it is a deep root problem, and will take decades to improve in those countries. Pointing the finger and criticize certain companies using the labor force and manufacturing facilities there won't do anything.

That sounds like a total copout. These days it's not even questioned whether or not it's OK to point fingers at GM and demand that they stop producing Hummers in order to further some perceived benefit.

But pointing fingers at Toyota for blatant abuses of its workers won't do anything? Come on.

Good grief. I remember the cries of oppression around here when it was revealed that the nasty Ford bosses at one factory wouldn't allow non-Ford vehicles in the company parking lot.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 01:32:17 pm »
For the record, my original statement was referring to the ROOT of the problem in those countries, even stopping and expelling certain companies out of business operation in those region is just a scratch on the surface. Problems exist 'here' because the media reported them.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 01:40:15 pm »
Other than how workers are being treated I see one cause for concern here...

Pinching pennies on parts and parts suppliers is a recipe for poor quality. I am convinced that this is part of what hurt the big 2.8 in the past. As they cut parts prices the parts suppliers cut corners whereever they could to maintain some semblence of margin. The result was parts which would fail earlier than maybe they should have.

If Toyota goes down this road they may fine their quality deteriorating which could be a dangerous thing with Hyundai and others getting better every year.

What a departure from the 1992 Camry which was overengineered if anything and cost more than it needed to (to manufacture). Hopefully Toyota doesn't fall into the pinch every penny until the quality falls out trap.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:45:50 pm »
The manufacturers should be exposed if they are involved in anything like that. Much like Nike, Mittal and other companies that get their products manufactured in cheap labour conditions. Everyone has eyes on Toyota because it has grown bigger and prominent. The domestics had been under the scanner too.

What other car makers get their products built outside of North America with cheap labour?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:52:31 pm »
Problems exist 'here' because the media reported them.

Yes, if only the media would shut up and let these businesses carry on as usual there would be no problem here.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 02:39:20 pm »
Somehow, I found the purpose of this thread is to attack a certain company. I wonder if your opinion will change if the company you work for have similar practices or have business associate with companies that do.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 03:03:35 pm »
Why doesn't anyone criticise the consumer, it's us that demand constantly lower prices.

::) ::) ::)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 03:21:21 pm »
Somehow, I found the purpose of this thread is to attack a certain company. I wonder if your opinion will change if the company you work for have similar practices or have business associate with companies that do.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't write those articles. But then, your responses seem to be defending a certain company. Why, I don't know. If those allegations are even partly true they are indefensible.

Maybe now some of the self-righteous Prius drivers and their ilk will feel a little bit of the same wrath that they have been spewing at SUV and truck drivers. I know I've read on this forum where people have asked which Toyotas are actually made in Japan as they didn't feel that North American made cars would be of the same quality. Maybe these people will now think twice about their vehicle selection criteria.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »
Why doesn't anyone criticise the consumer, it's us that demand constantly lower prices.

::) ::) ::)

That's an interesting twist. So it's actually our fault that Toyota has had to take advantage of its workers in order to price its magnificent products so low (and to earn its $12B in profits).

30 lashes for us. Carry on Toyota. All is forgiven as long as your product is good.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 06:48:45 pm »

Hum...and no one here ever attacks other companies.  Goes on all the time.