Author Topic: Genetically-engineered E. coli eat plant material, poop crude oil  (Read 2287 times)

Mitlov

...and even get rid of some carbon dioxide in the process.  It's not quite ready for mass-production, but dang, what a great thought:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/18/scientists-create-bacteria-that-eat-junk-produce-oil/

If they're willing to eat kudzu, then we're in business with a renewable source of oil that doesn't use up a large portion of the crops-for-food market.  Kudzu is insane--it grows at about 30 cm per day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:22:20 am by Mitlov »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Genetically-engineered E. coli eat plant material, poop crude oil
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:02:40 pm »
..i'm preparing an E Coli WEDGIE BURGER as I .... :hurl:............howdya think SoDDY Arabia and  Alberta got the tar_zans........eeeeeOOOOHHHWEEEEEE...yaaaaaaAAAAHHHH!!!! :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:16:14 pm »
Being genetically engineered, we have to run away scared. 
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:26:08 pm »
... I waz.... :shuffle:...Genitally engineered....................................... :run:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »
if this turns out to be less costly to mass produce than oil sand, Alberta is screwed!!

:rofl2: :rofl:

Hopefully not anytime soon.

Great thinking and innovation though.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:44:21 pm »
A step on the way to "grey goo" 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Jameel

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »
I wonder if this can be engineered to take human and anmial waste and turn it into a fule?

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:34:08 pm »

Perhaps but I think we are quite a ways off from the horror scenario of nanotech and bacteria gone mad. ;) ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:45:42 pm »
I can't wait for the movie.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 03:06:56 pm »
If it can have wood chips for breakfast, then it should eat pretty much anything else. When it gets into rivers and lakes by accident or on purpose and poops crude over everything alive we are pretty much done for. You see, God didn't create the oil bug for a good reason.  >:(
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 03:17:37 pm »
As someone commented, I bet they get bought out by Shell or someone and then you never hear of them again...
 :foil: :foil:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 03:46:55 pm »

Perhaps but I think we are quite a ways off from the horror scenario of nanotech and bacteria gone mad. ;) ;D

A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. ;)

Its the combination of dangers.    First you tailor a bacterium to eat certain things. Thats ok. Then you tune it up in the lab to be REALLY efficient at eating and reproducing and eating and...... Some Dr Evil builds on that technology to tailor it to eat something else.... maybe you end up with the thing being able to eat ALL the rice/millet/sorghum/wheat/maize crop. AFAIK there are not all that many varieties any more in commercial use of these food plants. 

The only nanotech you need is the old fashioned biological kind.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 04:04:57 pm »
.....suddenly.............I've got tha munchies................by Sunday I'll be self propelled :rofl2: