Author Topic: New VW Scirocco Review  (Read 21146 times)

loser40

New VW Scirocco Review
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:17:00 am »
Hi...

VW have released the new Scirocco in Europe.

Here's the first review - http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/VW-Scirocco-GT-2009-CAR-review/ .

And here's a video - http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/223284/vw-scirocco.html .

From what Ive seen the Scirocco will be a huge success.  The 2 litre GT handles better, and is as quick but cheaper than the Golf GTi, and they're also going to release a 1.4 litre turbocharged model which is over 10% cheaper still, and is almost as rapid !

M.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:52:18 am by loser40 »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Re: New VW Scirocco Review
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:13:02 pm »
Love it, which no doubt means we won't get it.....

Looks so much better than a GTi, which to me is more than just the good looking wheels (as opposed to the GTi's saucers glued to a rotating thing). 

vdk

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:21:38 pm »
 :love: :love: :love:

Life is bitter.

loser40

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 04:16:49 pm »
Hi again...

I reckon Canada will get the Scirocco, it's a big part of VW's motoring heritage and IMO they'll push it into every market that they can. 

I do agree with the Car Magazine review though, it's a great shame VW haven't given this car its own bespoke interior... though I predict that when sales go through the roof, which they will, VW will make the cabin much more special in its second or face-lifted generation.

M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
I had read the CAR review before.    We don't get the 1.4 compound supercharged engine in anything... dunno why 'cos it must be a bit more economical than the 2 litre turbo. 

As long as VW has this down on NA for pricing reasons we may indeed not get this car.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:16:53 pm »
VWoA previously stated this car is not coming.

I would not buy one over a GTI for practical reasons, tho does appear plenty more swanky and road hugging.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

kenobe23

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 01:23:50 am »
How about a 4 door?  ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:27:53 am »
Such neat little package, looks rather smashing. Do remind me some subtle cues from the Peugeot 307.

Cortina

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:04 am »

Eat ya heart out golf!!! :drive:

Cortina

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 11:58:10 am »
Quote from: auto express
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/224034/volkswagen_scirocco.html

FIRST OPINION

THE 1.4-litre TSI version of the Scirocco will cost about £18,500 when it goes on sale in January, and comes with the excellent Active Chassis Control as standard. But while the 158bhp engine is impressive for its size, you are actually better off stretching the extra £2,500 for the 197bhp 2.0-litre – as you really need its performance to make the most of the Scirocco’s superb handling.

AT A GLANCE

Price: £18,500 (est)
Engine: 1.4-litre 4cyl turbo and supercharged
Power: 158bhp
0-62mph: 8.0 seconds
Top speed: 135mph
Economy: 43.5mpg
Standard equipment: Six airbags, climate control, six-speed manual gearbox, touchscreen CD stereo, Adaptive Chassis Control

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:29:24 am »
I think it's a great little car, here is the pistonheads review...

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=18306

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:36:36 am »
For the 1.4l engine, over 43.5MPG on long trips would be fantastic for a car like this! You could possibly get 50MPG on a long road trip!

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:26 pm »
I liked the original sirocco and I like this one as well.
JWW

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 11:43:55 pm »
I do agree with the Car Magazine review though, it's a great shame VW haven't given this car its own bespoke interior...

Same here.  They sum up my beef with it perfectly:

in the cabin the dashboard is, irritatingly, almost pure Eos with white back-lighting to the instrument binnacle. Nothing wrong with that per se (except dash-top glare in the windscreen, that is), but doesn’t  such a blatant style statement deserve rather more bespoke treatment on board?

I just can't get passed this little inconsequential detail.  If I were in the market, this would almost be a deal-breaker for me.  This is 2008, not 1994 (picking a random date from sometime ago when platform sharing meant a new logo.)   It's already hard to swallow the TT/A3/Golf/Jetta/EOS/Beetle/Scirroco relationship, where a luxury car is suddenly a performance car with a new face, which is suddenly the people's car when you round it out a bit, which is suddenly a cushy convertible when you cut the roof off.

This is the straw that breaks this camel's back.  Everytime I see it and the subsequent positive comments I can't help but think "you're just buying into it for the styling, you shallow fools".  And... letting VW get away with it.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:46:30 pm »
(excuse this bit of superstition) Post number 445. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 11:49:52 pm »
Asian?  :)

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 12:38:31 am »
Possibly.  ;)

Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 01:03:41 pm »
Oldsmobile?

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 01:16:17 pm »
I just can't get passed this little inconsequential detail.  If I were in the market, this would almost be a deal-breaker for me.  This is 2008, not 1994 (picking a random date from sometime ago when platform sharing meant a new logo.)   It's already hard to swallow the TT/A3/Golf/Jetta/EOS/Beetle/Scirroco relationship, where a luxury car is suddenly a performance car with a new face, which is suddenly the people's car when you round it out a bit, which is suddenly a cushy convertible when you cut the roof off.

This is the straw that breaks this camel's back.  Everytime I see it and the subsequent positive comments I can't help but think "you're just buying into it for the styling, you shallow fools".  And... letting VW get away with it.

A boxer and a ballroom dancer have the same basic skeletal structure.  They have the same internal organs.  But the end results don't just look different, they work differently.  Same here.  Despite platform sharing, there are HUGE differences in how chassis are tuned.  The Eos isn't tuned like a GTI, so it doesn't drive like a roofless GTI.  And when you get up to the TT, you throw in the extra variable of new materials (specifically, extensive use of aluminum).

Cars that share the same platform may not drive the same.  The TT 2.0T FWD came in second in a Car and Driver test between a Shelby GT, 350Z, and RX-8 (the Mazda won).  The TT 3.2 Quattro held its own against a Z4 in a Fifth Gear shootout (though not necessarily winning).  You're not going to see a New Beetle do that...because the TT and the New Beetle are not as similar as you are suggesting.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 11:57:56 am »
Yes a TT is less likely to be similar to a Beetle underneath than say a Golf.  Yes I'm sure the spring rates, shock tuning, alignment, tires, styling are different.   Using your analogy, either the ballroom dancer is wearing boxing gloves or the boxer is wearing dancing shoes.  Given adequate training I'm sure either could make a convincing imitation of the other, but what would you rather start with as a matter of principle?

Lets have a boxer for boxing (big frame, muscular), and a ballroom dancer for dancing (lithe build).  There's product differentiation, and then there's whole-new-product.  I draw the line at a luxurious drop top having the exact same interior as a hot-hatch coupe.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:00:08 pm by Mattesa »