Author Topic: New VW Scirocco Review  (Read 21149 times)

Mitlov

Re: New VW Scirocco Review
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »
Lets have a boxer for boxing (big frame, muscular), and a ballroom dancer for dancing (lithe build).  There's product differentiation, and then there's whole-new-product.  I draw the line at a luxurious drop top having the exact same interior as a hot-hatch coupe.

Wait, is your objection to similarities in underlying chassis, or similarity in interior design?  I had addressed the former, not the latter.  As for the latter, while it's a bit boring to have the same interior design in every vehicle, I'd rather have one interior I do like (Volkswagen) than a dozen different ones I don't (recent Honda offerings).

loser40

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 07:49:29 am »
I'm all for platform & component sharing just so long each of the cars have their own characteristics and feel & look different.

A McDonald's beef burger and a steak at a Michelin starred restaurant both share an ingredient, but each tastes entirely different.

M.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 10:09:00 am »
Wait, is your objection to similarities in underlying chassis, or similarity in interior design?

My objection is to both, in principle.  Of course I know it's incredibly naive to expect a manufacturer to produce a bespoke platform for each and every unique model, so that's fine.  However, I think that if you were going re-brand a car for a new image and purpose, then they should make every effort to differentiate the two, all the way from the mechanicals to the interior.   It's not beyond their means to produce a new interior, and I don't agree with their decision not to have one. 

Doesn't make it a bad car.  If the EOS didn't exist, I wouldn't be complaining.  It's completely a subjective matter, and I find it... umm... rather tacky.

loser40

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:19 pm »
...but,

...all that said, it really is a handsome car - I was watching Top Gear (on Sky+ [Tivo type machine] so I could fast forward through the presenters BS) and they had one in the studio.  It was white and just looked superb.  I'd love to own one.

IMO it's just a matter of time until VW introduce there own version of Audi's magnetic ride.  Imagine a Scirocco with that !

I reckon, considering it shares the Golf/Rabbit platform so engineering costs will be minimal, that they'll bring out and AWD V6 spec Scirocco with all the bell's & whistles - that car will be motoring nirvana.

M.

PS - Is it just me that thinks the front looks like an old Mitsubishi (Galant?) .

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 03:20:29 pm »
Seeing my 1st Scirocco on the street tonight, I thought it worthwhile to bump this old thread to say WOW, what a great looking car.  Being night time I cannot give an opinion of the interior, but the lighting sure looked good, very upscale. I can say the car really stands out, as at first when I was approaching from behind I had no idea what it was. At first I thought maybe it was a concept car of some sort, it does not look like a production type of car. So low to the road, and nice edgey lines, low slung roof, good angles.
Very impressive looking car to see in the flesh.
Stylewise reminds me of the lines on the C30.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:50:13 pm by MKII »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 04:08:10 pm »
Sounds good, can't wait to see one on the road!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 05:35:01 pm »
I saw one at a dealership the other day while taking the MkVI Golf for a test drive, and it is a very balanced and clean looking car in the flesh - pictures don't do it justice. I was most surprised by how low it looks compared to the Golf. I would take it over a 2 door GTI, no question.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth