Author Topic: Happy Father's Day, Guys!  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Happy Father's Day, Guys!
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:54:47 am »
Have a great day doing (or not doing) whatever you want (or don't want) to do.   :)

If I may share something personal here:  I lost my dad suddenly last October.  He was taken by a ruptured abdominal aorta - people rarely survive that kind of thing.  He was 64 years old.  I didn't post in the forum at the time, because I was really struggling with the loss.  I still am some days, and today is one of those days.  So, if you'll indulge me...

My dad and I were very close in character and no-BS temperament.  He was a hard-working, strong, moral and law-abiding man.  His word was his contract with you, and he expected nothing less in return.  He was supportive at all times (even if he didn't agree with what was going on), and gave you the shirt off his back if you needed it.  He had a wicked prankster sense of humour, and loved the ironies of life (my personal favourite was his comment that nobody whines about global warming in January).  I loved him dearly, and I know he loved me.

I'm thankful that he was at home when he started feeling ill, rather than in a car or a store or on one of his solitary walks with the dog.  I'm thankful that my mother was with him while he was in the hospital.  I'm thankful that the doctors did everything they could to save him, even though the situation was hopeless.  I'm thankful that he was a part of my life for so many years, and that I have nothing but great memories, funny stories and no unfinished business with him.

For you, as fathers, I hope that all your children grow to be my age carrying the same love and respect for you.  Yes, sometimes you have to be tough with your kids (boy, I remember those instances), but ultimately the tough lessons are the ones that are best remembered, and form the strong character that you want them to have as adults.  They are truly the best gift you can give.

Have a wonderful day.  And thanks for listening.   

vdk

Re: Happy Father's Day, Guys!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 12:45:52 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

Have an uber day dads!

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »
My condolences for your loss.

Your comments make me realize again how important fathers are to their children and wives. I will redouble my efforts to be a good father and grandfather.

Have a good day and think of all the pleasant memories you have with your dad.

Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »
 Brigitte, sorry for your loss
It great when you have good kids and can you help them out
This summer we have our 11 month ( will be one, July 8) with us :o
Her parents are taking course at CFB Borden for the summer( they come on the weekends)
You help out your kids when you can  ;D

My children got me a 8g Ipod touch for Fathers day :banana:
I am to scared to take it out of the box and get it dirty:rofl:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 04:30:17 pm »
Thanks, vdk, 99Silver and AirB.  While I wasn't looking for condolences, it's still nice to hear the words.   :)

Hope you're having a wonderful day.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:56:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Dad, Brig. It sounds like you had a great relationship with him.

The kids got me a new hammock ("Look! Its got a beer-holder an' magazine-holder an' a pillow, Daddy!") and a model 1957 Corvette. Then we piled into the car to visit my Dad.

He was completely taken by the Outback. We spent about 40 minutes in the driveway as he went around it. "Beautiful car...just beautiful." Then he slapped me on the back and said the exterior faucet on the house needed fixing. He just happened to have the parts on hand so I replaced it for him ;D

Mum said he's been telling everyone who'll listen that HIS son drives a Subaru Outback! All of our cars had always been very utilitarian, only the last couple he's bought had AC, but nothing else. To him a Subaru ("Is it European?") might as well be a Mercedes.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:35:19 am »
..sounds like ya had a great Dad Bridge. :thumbup:

Big T.....couldn't stop laughing at the thought of "Basil FAWLTY ::)" fixing his Dad's Pipes..........where do they make Subaru's.......SUBurbia!!! ;D  the PIPES the Pipes are calling all thru tha Glen...........
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:39:19 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:51:47 am »
Sorry to hear about your Dad, Brig. It sounds like you had a great relationship with him.

The kids got me a new hammock ("Look! Its got a beer-holder an' magazine-holder an' a pillow, Daddy!") and a model 1957 Corvette. Then we piled into the car to visit my Dad.

He was completely taken by the Outback. We spent about 40 minutes in the driveway as he went around it. "Beautiful car...just beautiful." Then he slapped me on the back and said the exterior faucet on the house needed fixing. He just happened to have the parts on hand so I replaced it for him ;D

Mum said he's been telling everyone who'll listen that HIS son drives a Subaru Outback
! All of our cars had always been very utilitarian, only the last couple he's bought had AC, but nothing else. To him a Subaru ("Is it European?") might as well be a Mercedes.

Better than My Son the Plumber I suppose   :D ;) :)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54:23 am »
You had a great relationship with your dad, Brigitte. Sorry for your loss, you'll always cherish the memories for sure.

My dad isn't a talkative person, yet his way of silently understanding has created a special bond, even though he's thousands of kms away from me now. He used to work in the Middle East when I was growing up. I (youngest one) wast sent to a private school on his insistence. He used to visit my school every year, met the principal, paid the year fee, meet me in recess, ate lunch with me once a year.

His all is good and understanding smile in toughest of times is always in my eyes. Reminds me of his struggles and loving nature still helps me a lot in getting through irritating matters. Somehow, he just knows when I talk to him and his tone changes with a reassurance in his voice.

He turns 72 this year, has stopped riding his bicycle, now toots around town on his 70cc motorcycle. I admire his endless energy, same as his grandson (my son).  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:55 pm »
Pass me the 5/8" coupler and solder would you?

Wot?

WOULD YOU BE SO KIND AS TO PASS... TO ME... THAT BLOODY BIT AND THE SHINY BIT OF WIRE!

...5 more years and you're off the the bloody 'ome you old git!

Wot?

<facepalm>

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:02:05 pm »
OK 6 years then...................... ;D :rofl2:

wannabe4x4ing

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 12:28:59 pm »
Happy Father's Day!!! (I know its belated)

We had a big Father's Day barbeque for my Dad and the boys got something for all of their uncles as well because (even though none of them are fathers) they've kind of taken over the male role in the boys life since the Arse is quite firmly out of the picture. We had a lovely day and enjoyed some pork tenderloin for dinner.

Riley insisted it was Mother's Day, though. haha.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 03:35:14 pm »
Thanks, BigT, Saf, Umro and LasP.   :)  Much appreciated.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 03:45:36 pm »
Very well said, Brigitte and my condolences.

I know the day my father passes away will be the saddest day of my life.  He helped nuture my love of cars when I was a young lad and we still share that interest.

*edit* I forgot to mention that my father is a cancer survivor after being diagnosed with a kidney tumour in 1996.  He had the kidney removed and has been cancer free since.  I'll thankful for every day he's still with us.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:52:27 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 04:23:57 pm »
 :iagree: My Dad was a bastard fer tha latest BRIT MACHINA :o 8) :shuffle: when he
 shuffled off ta "the BRITISH ISLES!!!" from Africa.ON HOLIDAY PAY from the Copper Mines...Zephyrs..Crestas..all the HOT CARS those limeys made,he woz onnit fer EXPORT to N Rhodesia....even bought a Capri and a Hillman Imp buzz box when he re_located fer 5 years to tha olde sod...my first driving stuff...then off ta New Zealand with the Ford Capri...drove it a year and sold it at a BIG PROFIT to tha SEX Car starved Newfie Zealanders......IT MUST be a Gene POOL we all dived inta.......
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:28:10 pm by safristi »