Author Topic: Child abuse?  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Child abuse?
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:52:13 pm »
The other day I walked through our showroom and saw this grossly overweight woman with her child that looked to be about 4 years old. Mom had a giant slurpee. The child also had a giant slurpee and a giant bag of chips. This was a 8 o'clock in the AM. I wish I would have said something. Makes me sick to think what this woman is setting up this kid for later in life.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Re: Child abuse?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:03:36 pm »
Did you direct them to the full size SUVs?

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:19:28 pm »
Just because she's being a bad parent doesn't mean it's your job to throw that in her face.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:51:40 am »
So he held his tounge... Just because it's not his job to do or say something, does not meen he can't be outraged about it. I would be too...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 06:25:16 am »
Children are far from responsible enough to make wise nutrition choices, and it's up to us parents to do that for them.  So, yes, I think that feeding your child junk food in excessive amounts is child abuse.  It really uspets me to see the growing number of obese children in the primary school age, and I'm downright shocked to see the number of obese middle school children.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:25:16 am »
I always find it rather amusing that they have a whole isle of chips at the grocery stores. I might buy one bag a year. I've never understood where somewhere people get the desire to eat these things so much.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:54 am »
8:00 Am? That is early.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:35 am »
...8a.m  Ding Dongs it's breakfast time..........................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 10:44:41 am »

Yeah, I always wait until at least 9:00 a.m. to have my first Dorito.   ::)

I'm not sure what's worse here:  the time of day this child was eating junk, or the fact that he/she was allowed to eat junk at all, at such a young age.

When I was a younger kid, chips and soft drinks were around only when there were parties or family gatherings, and only rarely allowed as a snack.  If we were hungry, there were always apples, oranges, peaches and pears (when in season), grapes, you name it.  We drank mostly water, milk, juice or Kool-Aid (not much better than pop, mind you).  Ice cream and homemade juice popsicles were a summer favourite (remember those Tupperware popsicle kits?)

As we got older, my parents were more permissive, but they still didn't buy soft drinks.  To this day, I still favour fruit and vegetables as a snack, and rarely drink carbonated beverages.

I'm not sure I would have said anything to that mother - I don't think it would have made a difference, anyway.  Sometimes you just have to pick your battles and move on. 

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 11:02:30 am »

When I was a younger kid, chips and soft drinks were around only when there were parties or family gatherings, and only rarely allowed as a snack.  If we were hungry, there were always apples, oranges, peaches and pears (when in season), grapes, you name it.  We drank mostly water, milk, juice or Kool-Aid (not much better than pop, mind you).  Ice cream and homemade juice popsicles were a summer favourite (remember those Tupperware popsicle kits?)

As we got older, my parents were more permissive, but they still didn't buy soft drinks.  To this day, I still favour fruit and vegetables as a snack, and rarely drink carbonated beverages.

I'm not sure I would have said anything to that mother - I don't think it would have made a difference, anyway.  Sometimes you just have to pick your battles and move on. 

Thats what we try to do with our kids as well.  We go through about 2 dozen pops per year in a family of 4, and most of that is ginger ale for upset tummies.

And I agree with Ms. B, got to pick your battles.  For this issue, a better way is to approach the school board and get some education on nutrition into the class rooms.  My son just went through the DARE program and he can tell me more about the ill-effects of drugs, tobacco and alcohol than l thought possible.

How about all the adults who do not wear bike helmets when out with their kids, who are wearing theirs?  Or small kids in the front seats of airbag equipped cars? Or no seat belts for kids?  Or....  Where do you draw the line?  What do you define as "abuse"?
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:19 am »
I see more kids without helmets these days  :o
That just drives me crazy

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:29:22 am »
How about all the adults who do not wear bike helmets when out with their kids, who are wearing theirs?  Or small kids in the front seats of airbag equipped cars? Or no seat belts for kids?  Or....  Where do you draw the line?  What do you define as "abuse"?

I think it's okay to speak up when something illegal (rather than a judgement call) is occurring.  If you're putting a child in harm's way without actually hurting him, I think it would be more a case of negligence rather than abuse.  To me, abuse is either physical or emotional and involves an actual voluntary action with the intent to harm or kill.  Neglect is to withhold something with the intent to harm.  Negligence falls under the header of stupidity or laziness, for me. 

I'm sure we could argue semantics until we're blue in the face, though.  I'm sure the lawyers in the room can look up the criminal code and clear it all up for us.

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:33:19 pm »
Just because she's being a bad parent doesn't mean it's your job to throw that in her face.
So he held his tounge... Just because it's not his job to do or say something, does not meen he can't be outraged about it. I would be too...

I was responding to the comment "I wish I would have said something."

dorin

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 09:09:02 pm »

Good!  Helmets stigmatize bicycles as dangerous and promote car culture.

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 11:04:10 pm »

Okay, I'm 99% sure you're joking, but could you please just confirm for me that this post wasn't serious?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:06 pm »
How do you know it was not just a treat for going car shopping? 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 05:51:56 am »

Yes.  Kids are indestructible.  Or at least they were when I was one. Noone ever considered that one would need a helmet while cycling back then.   
 Maybe its just me but as an ex-kid ex-cyclist I feel that it is my duty to not run into  kids on bikes and other cyclists while driving a car.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 06:58:47 am »
...... ::) so OLDE Fashioned of ME & U tpl...........reductio ad absurdum IMHO...when are we gettin' side air bags on TRIKES kinda thing.........."If we could just save ONE LIFE kinda stuff" while we fack up everyone elses freedom crapolla...................DO all U want Leave the REST to chose.................(comfort yerself ye RULES & LAW types with the thought that Darwins LAW will expunge the Evil Kneivel types...and let the rest of us sensible ,thinking types get on with LIFE...which still ends in DEATH by the way...no ABS there
 Anti Burial System.. :stick: >:D :banana: :bang:

dorin

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 03:58:45 pm »

Okay, I'm 99% sure you're joking, but could you please just confirm for me that this post wasn't serious?

We've been through this before.  I am not joking in the least.  Helmets = message that biking is dangerous -> over-use of cars.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 04:25:53 pm »
People are produced in large numbers by unskilled labour.... doesn't matter if we lose a few in the process.