Author Topic: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: mind-blowing  (Read 14472 times)

Mitlov

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: mind-blowing
« on: June 10, 2008, 09:54:56 pm »
Pictures don't do this justice.  You need to see it in motion to get what it's all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

I think it's actually a cool return to BMW's roots in biplanes (which were generally cloth stretched over frame ribs).  It also helps explain where the unique look of "flame surfacing" (which doesn't actually look at all like fire to me) comes from.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: mind-blowing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:00:55 pm »
Neat idea!  Car is ugly as sin though.  I'll take the non moving Mazda prototype cars over this one....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:03:02 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:19:05 pm »
Not bad for an idea, but imagine how flappy the thing will be. On the second thought they will have to ban knives and razor blades in the proximity  ;D Truly outstanding how much money BMW makes to spend on such "research"
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:39:36 pm »
Not bad for an idea, but imagine how flappy the thing will be.

I don't think that the fabric on early aircraft flapped at all unless it was torn.

On the second thought they will have to ban knives and razor blades in the proximity  ;D

Those knives and razor blades and keys do tons of damage to expensive paint jobs and expensive tires, too.  Sheet metal can be easily dented (Mazda3 tennis ball issue, anyone?).  Windows can be easily smashed.  Current cars aren't exactly vandalism-proof, so I don't see that that's a big mark against this design.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:50:29 pm by Mitlov »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:57 pm »
Very, very nice. The car looks wonderful, almost organic.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:46:32 pm »

I don't think that the fabric on early aircraft flapped at all unless it was torn.

Because many of them had a fuel proof dope on them and they were rigid.  The silk cloth would be eaten by fuel, so they had to protect it.  So they put dope on it.  Made it hard.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:24 pm »

Because many of them had a fuel proof dope on them and they were rigid.  The silk cloth would be eaten by fuel, so they had to protect it.  So they put dope on it.  Made it hard.

Anyway, I'm sure the folks who built the M3's engine will be able to figure out how to make a fabric that doesn't flap in the wind.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »
^^Oh I'm sure.  But man...I can see vandals having a field day with this.  I'm sure this is not really intended for production...more as a design exercise than anything...

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »
^^Oh I'm sure.  But man...I can see vandals having a field day with this.  I'm sure this is not really intended for production...more as a design exercise than anything...

Like vandals have field days with convertibles? 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:52 pm »
It always puzzled me why car makers still use heavy and "rusty" steel panels which are hard to repair after any collision. Why not take an Atom and wrap it in if not fiberglass then some other light plastic. With the fuel efficiency race full throttle thats something to think about.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:04:04 pm »

Like vandals have field days with convertibles? 

Worse.......:)

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:50 pm »

With five minutes and a crowbar, you can completely destroy the bodywork on a steel-skinned car if you're in the mood.  With five minutes and a knife, you can completely destroy the bodywork on a steel-skinned car if you're in the mood.  So I don't see why vandalism should be the focus of this discussion, as opposed, to, say, the idea of using a steel endoskeleton instead of a steel exoskeleton for an automobile.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:34:26 pm »
^^Ok..if you say so...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:13 pm »

With five minutes and a crowbar, you can completely destroy the bodywork on a steel-skinned car if you're in the mood.  With five minutes and a knife, you can completely destroy the bodywork on a steel-skinned car if you're in the mood.  So I don't see why vandalism should be the focus of this discussion, as opposed, to, say, the idea of using a steel endoskeleton instead of a steel exoskeleton for an automobile.

But what about unintentional damages? Say some kids are nearby and playing with a basketball, etc. or you have some stuff to bring home from Wallys and it has sharp edges and doesn't quite fit in the trunk... :P

Vandalism isn't the only thing that damages a car, and undoubtedly a fabric skin car will be more fragile. Also since the skin comes in very, very few pieces wouldn't replacement be a nightmare? Have to get the whole thing redone, not just a fender panel or something.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 11:38:13 pm »
Mitlov says no..so let's just leave it at that..M'kay?   ::)

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:13 am »

Wow, the guy who just told Wing that his test was "a poor test at best" and "poorly thought out" because he wanted a different sort of test than Wing had in mind, is now calling other people inflexible?   :rofl2:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:28:26 am »

But what about unintentional damages? Say some kids are nearby and playing with a basketball, etc. or you have some stuff to bring home from Wallys and it has sharp edges and doesn't quite fit in the trunk... :P

Vandalism isn't the only thing that damages a car, and undoubtedly a fabric skin car will be more fragile. Also since the skin comes in very, very few pieces wouldn't replacement be a nightmare? Have to get the whole thing redone, not just a fender panel or something.

Let's use some imagination here people! I doubt the designers intended to use the same nylon that your windbreaker is made out of.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:36:45 am »

Vandalism isn't the only thing that damages a car, and undoubtedly a fabric skin car will be more fragile.

Regarding unintentional damage: it would be more prone to some types of damage, certainly.  But less prone to others.  Runaway grocery carts?  No sweat.  Bouncing stones on the highway?  No paint chips.

Also since the skin comes in very, very few pieces wouldn't replacement be a nightmare? Have to get the whole thing redone, not just a fender panel or something.

According to Chris Bangle in the video, it takes about two hours to completely skin the GINA.  I'm also assuming that a production model would have more pieces of cloth than the concept.  Probably separate pieces for the door, hood, etc, just like a metal-skinned car.  Replacement, if anything, should be cheaper and faster than replacing bodywork on a metal-skinned car, it seems to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:52 am »

Wow, the guy who just told Wing that his test was "a poor test at best" and "poorly thought out" because he wanted a different sort of test than Wing had in mind, is now calling other people inflexible?   :rofl2:

I didn't call you inflexible.  I don't see where I call you that. I said you were right.  Shrugs.  Can't win with you...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:43:48 am by rrocket »

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 12:44:17 am »
I didn't call you inflexible..I said you were right.  Shrugs.  Can't win with you...

Reply #14 was dripping in sarcasm and petulance, even if you didn't use a roll-eye emoticon to drive the point home.  I'm not completely oblivious to those things.