Author Topic: CTS-V official stats: whoopass on four wheels  (Read 6078 times)

Mitlov

CTS-V official stats: whoopass on four wheels
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:56:49 am »
We knew about the basics, including the 6.2 L supercharged V8.  But how about these apples?

556 horsepower
551 ft-lbs
0-60 in 3.9 seconds
Quarter mile in 12.0 seconds at 118 mph.
Automatic transmission top speed: 175 mph.
Manual transmission top speed: 191 mph.
Front brakes: Brembo six-piston brakes with 14.6 inch diameter discs.
Rear brakes: Brembo four-piston brakes with 14.3 inch diameter discs.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126900

And before someone says "but can it go around corners?"  This is no Brabus Bullit Black Arrow.  Yes, it can.  Here's its 7:59.32 Nurburgring run:

http://jalopnik.com/390796/2009-cadillac-cts+v-lapping-the-nurburgring-in-record-time

With a price that should come in somewhere between the M3's and the M5's, probably closer to the M3 than the M5, this super-sedan is awesome.  Sorry to sound like a GM fanboy--I'm not, seriously--but this think is just plain awesome.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: CTS-V official stats: whoopass on four wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:07:17 am »
It's pretty sweet!!  And I'll be the 1st to say....the sedan looks much better than the CTS-V Coupe......

Oh...what's with that little chrome gill thingie by the side-view mirrors?  Is it functional?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:10:41 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:52:20 am »
It's pretty sweet!!  And I'll be the 1st to say....the sedan looks much better than the CTS-V Coupe......

Coupe's still in concept and prototype form...I'm going to wait for the final product to pass judgment.

What I will say about aesthetics is that the CTS-V's Darth-Vader-esque interior is possibly the best supersedan interior out there right now.  Yes, better than the RS4's.

Oh...what's with that little chrome gill thingie by the side-view mirrors?  Is it functional?

I don't think it's functional.  It's the latest trend in bling, I guess:

I have no idea why GM would come up with a cool new idea for bling for their hot new Caddy, and then make it supremely uncool by putting it on the Aveo as well...

Offline ar_ken

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:46 am »
While I'm  :drool: -ing about this car, I'm also waiting for the GM haters to come in and say something like "Oh GM's too late  to the game, with gas prices this high no one's going to buy this thing! GM suxxxxx lets drive a Yaris/Prius"..

Sorry can't type anymore... the keyboard is starting to get funny because of all the  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:30 am »
I like that interior.   Lots of  black buttons to fiddle with while stuck in traffic. I wonder if the steering wheel is tilted up on purpose for the photo? Sure looks that way.

I looked at the CTS but I found it too physically big for my taste.... I would not have bought a CTS-V; had I been willing to spend that amount  ( M3<=CTS-V <=M5)  I would have got a 535xi or a 335i  but the regular cooking 3.6 direct injection CTS looked right for power.

Even at $4 us/usg or  $6 cdn/ impg  I bet they will sell a whole pile of the CTS-V.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:00:57 am »
Even at $4 us/usg or  $6 cdn/ impg  I bet they will sell a whole pile of the CTS-V.

People who buy this sort of car don't care about gas prices.  European gas prices clearly haven't hurt the M3/M5/M6, RS4/RS6, or Merc's dozen AMG models.  Indeed, this entire genre is driven by the German marques.

Like ar_ken, I'm fully expecting someone to come in here and says that this car is a "dinosaur" and the rest of the world "gets it" but Detroit "doesn't."  Anyone who says that about the CTS-V needs a slap upside the head and a reality check.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:04:13 am »
This car is a dinosaur! Let's see the trunk!!!!

:-*

This is a seriously nice vehicle. I wonder how many they'll sell? I wonder how much it could cost me in say 3 to 4 years?

:drool:

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 11:12:09 am »
This is a seriously nice vehicle. I wonder how many they'll sell? I wonder how much it could cost me in say 3 to 4 years?

:drool:

First-gen CTS-Vs depreciated like anvils, due in part to wheel hop and a craptastic interior.  The latter has definitely been fixed (in terms of both look and feel), and when GM released pics of the second-gen CTS-V, they admitted the wheel hop problem and said they addressed it.  My guess is, if they hadn't fixed it, they wouldn't have mentioned it.  Where I'm going with this is that I don't expect a used CTS-V to be the bargain that a used first-gen was.

How many are they going to sell?  At this point, I'm leaning towards "all of them."

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:05 am »
Okay then, how many are they going to make?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:55:07 am »
Not doubt they will sell lotsa of them. Word on limited production?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 12:48:56 pm »
:drool: The best looking sedan in its segment is also the most powerful?  Sign me up, high gas prices or no.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »
Looks nice great! :)

If you want a nice, large sports sedan and want better FE then Cadillac will gladly sell you a CTS with a 6 banger.

If I had the budget and desire for a higher end sports sedan the CTS would definately be on my list.

Nice stuff! :love:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 04:36:52 pm »

I have no idea why GM would come up with a cool new idea for bling for their hot new Caddy, and then make it supremely uncool by putting it on the Aveo as well...

Didn't Lutz go on a big rant and say from now on GM wouldn't be putting any non-functional cladding and/or bits on their cars?  I specifically remember him saying it for Pontiac...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »

Didn't Lutz go on a big rant and say from now on GM wouldn't be putting any non-functional cladding and/or bits on their cars?  I specifically remember him saying it for Pontiac...

Yes, but the ridiculous cladding on some of the past GM cars was a little different than this tiny decoration.

It's very similar, and no larger, than the bits on the sides of the M3 and M5.

Regarding CTS-V in general:  Crazy.  That's going to be one ludicrous machine.  And the pricepoint should generate loads of sales for caddie.  They just need to properly direct the buzz from a car like this into sales of "lesser" GM models.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 05:17:28 pm »
I wonder how much we'll get raped to buy that thing here?

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 06:19:04 pm »

Doesn't this chrome piece remind you of the chrome bit on the Focus that they are removing? Seems like a styling trend which will probably pass.

speed12sil

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 01:23:22 am »
I remember reading somewhere that the first gen was pretty damn fast, but had numb steering that was far from M3s "telepathic" steering. Just how much have those Engineers at GM improved on the steering of this 2nd gen so that finally all of the ingredients are there to consider it a great super-sedan: Sharp/accurate steering, great handling, huge amount of power and great interior. Note that I don't have exterior as a requirement because frankly I could care less if it looks as bad as a GT-R(which I happen to like anyway) as long as its internals deliver the goods.

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 01:59:40 am »
I remember reading somewhere that the first gen was pretty damn fast, but had numb steering that was far from M3s "telepathic" steering. Just how much have those Engineers at GM improved on the steering of this 2nd gen so that finally all of the ingredients are there to consider it a great super-sedan: Sharp/accurate steering, great handling, huge amount of power and great interior. Note that I don't have exterior as a requirement because frankly I could care less if it looks as bad as a GT-R(which I happen to like anyway) as long as its internals deliver the goods.

My understanding is that, in terms of steering feel, the new CTS is light-years ahead of the first-gen, whereas the new M3 is actually a step back on that front (more than one review has criticized a numbness in the M3's steering not present in other E90-E93 3-Serieses).

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:47 am »
Just wondering what the pricing will be for this beast?  I thought the C63 - Merecdes was something to consider until I saw the CTS - VSeries.  I believe the C63 starts at around 63k.  It will be a mistake if GM decides to start the CTS-V in the mid 70's.  I don't think it will fly if the out the door price (taxes, few options) strokes the mid 90's to 100k. 

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 11:23:34 am »
Just wondering what the pricing will be for this beast?  I thought the C63 - Merecdes was something to consider until I saw the CTS - VSeries.  I believe the C63 starts at around 63k.  It will be a mistake if GM decides to start the CTS-V in the mid 70's.  I don't think it will fly if the out the door price (taxes, few options) strokes the mid 90's to 100k. 

Why shouldn't the CTS-V be $10k more than a C63?  It's a bigger, much more powerful car with a nicer interior.  The three-pointed star doesn't make up for all of that.  The CTS-V is more car and should cost more.