Author Topic: Caulking ceramics in bathroom  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Caulking ceramics in bathroom
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:48:33 am »
In my bathrooms I have ceramic on walls in showers. Where the wall meet at right angles the installer used grout. The grout is showing very very slight hairline cracks in it where these walls meet. I think these corners shuld have been caulked.

My question is what color caulking to use. For example in one shower I have tiles that are predomantly light brown with small swirls of grey in them. The installer used grey grout. For the corner seam should I used silicone cauling that matches the brown of the tile or the grey grout used elsewhere?

Maybe someone out there with experiance in doing tiles knows the preferred choice.

Also doe you think it is ok just to put a bead of caulking over existing grout line or should I try and remove the grout before caulking?

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Caulking ceramics in bathroom
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:45:24 am »
Re grouting the are would be the best solution. Scrape out the area real well and apply new grout. Let thoroughly dry before using again AND seal it afterwards.

wannabe4x4ing

Re: Caulking ceramics in bathroom
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:33:50 pm »
In the meantime, if grouting right now is not a task you want to undertake... you could just use a clear sealant, applied thinly.