Author Topic: Test Drives: Civic, Mazda3,Sentra, Matrix - Final Decision!  (Read 18807 times)

silver

I tested the Civic, Mazda3,Sentra, and Matrix (automatics)

The Matrix was a miss. I couldn't see over the hood, shoulder checkling was terrible, accelaration was poor ... a definate no!

The Civic was my expected favorite, and it drove well. What I found annoying was how difficult it was to see over the hood. Given the annopyance factor and that there are currently no good deals at Honda, I have scratched it off my list.

Sentra was a very pleasant surprize. Loved everything about it. A very strong contender. The only negative was the interior is not quite as nifty as the civic or the mazda. o% financing for 60 months is a nice draw.

Mazda3 - I tested both the hatchback and the sedan and liked them both. Shoulder check is not as good as the Sentra, but I could get used to it. Love the look inside and out of both models. 0% financing for 60 months

So it is down to the Sentra or the Mazda, and if I go for the Mazda, the sedan or Mazda hatchback

Assumming $$$$$ in not an issue I welcome your opinions as to which is the better car i.e.  Winter driving, mileage, durability, performance

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drives: Civic, Mazda3,Sentra, Matrix - Final Decision!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:03:58 am »
Depending on your lifestyle a hatch might be more practical. 

Traum

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:51:10 am »
I dunno how it is over in Calgary, but here in Vancouver, a *LOT* of Mazda3's have their driver door dented (big one too) because of the previous door lock design flaw. Idiots punch / bang the door in the hopes that your car hasn't had the TSB addressed, and you ended up with a huge dent.

The Mazda3 will be a sportier drive, but I like the Nissan's CVTs quite a bit.

-Lik

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 02:31:56 am »
I have a 05 Mazda3 so my opinion is biased but it also should have some weight as I owned the cars for more than 3 years so I can speak about it.

I'd buy it again without hesitation. However I would probably go for the hatch for more versatility.
Durability: I haven't had any problems with the car - few TSBs, but nothing major. The interior is mint, with no rattles or other problems.
Performance: It's been considered for years one of the best if not the best in class and certainly better than the Sentra.
Winter driving: Put on snow tires and you should be good to go at least as good as any other car in the class. I did go through two winters with the stock A/S and it was fine (not that I recommend you to do so but in Toronto area is doable).
Fuel Economy: Nothing to write home about (around 9 L/100km combined for me) and certainly it cannot challenge the Civic, but you are also looking at 1.8L vs 2.3L engines and anyway, this is a small price to pay for many other advantages you get with the 3. I think the FE is worst compared to the Sentra, but I don’t know by how much.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:59:10 am »
If Fuel Economy is not the top criteria. Mazda 3 hatch is unbeatable.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:47 pm »
If FE is not the be all and end all then the Mazda is one fine package. My wife couldn't get used to the head restraints otherwise we loved the car. It drives kind of like a Volkswagon (firm, sporty ride) yet with pretty much the reliability you expect of a Japanese marque.

They seem to hold up really well based on anecdotal evidence.

vdk

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »
The 3's a thrill to drive when compared to the regular Sentra. Did you take a look at the SE-R?

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 01:17:26 pm »
If FE is not the be all and end all then the Mazda is one fine package. My wife couldn't get used to the head restraints otherwise we loved the car. It drives kind of like a Volkswagon (firm, sporty ride) yet with pretty much the reliability you expect of a Japanese marque.

They seem to hold up really well based on anecdotal evidence.

...and Consumer Reports reliability ratings, where they do superbly.

silver

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:45:31 pm »
No, I didn't try the SE-R , but I will. The two cars are  close in my opinion. The sentra was more comfortable to drive, but the interior wasn't as snazzy. the mazda just seems to have a bit more overall cache, but is a bit more expensive.

:-\

vdk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
if you're still trying cars.... did you test drive the Rab or Astra? Those were my last 2 options not a long time ago...

Traum

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 08:17:40 pm »
if you're still trying cars.... did you test drive the Rab or Astra? Those were my last 2 options not a long time ago...
Yes, I quite agree that Silver should try both the Rabbit and the Astra as well. Both are very competitive vehicles in the same segment.

-Lik

Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 08:25:53 pm »
Fuel Economy: Nothing to write home about (around 9 L/100km combined for me) and certainly it cannot challenge the Civic, but you are also looking at 1.8L vs 2.3L engines and anyway, this is a small price to pay for many other advantages you get with the 3. I think the FE is worst compared to the Sentra, but I don’t know by how much.
2008.5 Mazda3 Sport is now available with the 2.0L so mileage should be better than the 2.3L.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:12 pm »
Mazda 3 hands down.

Probably one of the most fun to drive compacts out there, yet comfortable. Very nice interior, and the exterior doesn't look aged. Very good reliability (4.5 years of production!)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 01:25:39 am »
No, I didn't try the SE-R , but I will. The two cars are  close in my opinion. The sentra was more comfortable to drive, but the interior wasn't as snazzy. the mazda just seems to have a bit more overall cache, but is a bit more expensive.

:-\

Wait did you test the bog standard 2.0 Sentra? Or one of the higher trims? Cause the interior in my SE R is pretty nice I actually liked it better than the Civic interior and in some ways more than even the interior in the Rabbit. And I actually thinks it looks better then the Mazda's even. But that might just be because the black interior really works for this car. I get about 10 to 11L/100 KM doing mostly city and much much better 7 to 9L/100 when on the highway.

Car drives well I can put it where I want it. Reliability has been ok couple of issues but nothing that stop the car from working just annoying. Dealer fixed them without me having to push for it so happy about that. The 2.5 engine is great the biggest complain for me when I tried the Civic was how bad the engine was on the automatic. Drove a friend's civic stick and liked it and then tried the auto and hated it.

With fuel prices, and considering your budget, did you look at the civic hybrid? Never tried it but now I wish i had a go at it.

Saw and sat in Astras at the Toronto Autoshow. Sure it's nicer than the stuff GM put out before but it's still have a bit of the bean counter feel to the interior, bit grey. Although I am not sure if that was because it seems like all the GM cars were using the same door lock fittings and other bits that made you feel like it was cheap. I mean if you see the same plastics in a Saab, Astra, and CTS it doesn't seem as nice a bespoken parts.

Anyhow good luck with your choice!

vdk

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:47 pm »
The all Sentras have CVT, thing is I personally didn't find it to be too bad. I could definitely get used to it.

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:32:07 am »
Have you tried the Elantra?  It's not as sporty as the Mazda3 (though given that you prefer the bog-stock Sentra's drive to the Mazda3, that may not matter to you), and it's an excellent compact sedan, and very refined, very reliable, good on gas, etc.  Forget any negative stereotypes you have about Korean cars.  Hyundai's had a huge turn-around in the past 5 years or so, and their products are now fantastic.  In fact, Consumer Reports recently called the Elantra the best compact car in its opinion.

Traum

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 01:29:34 pm »
when this smaller list numbers two or three,  i always end up asking myself one question.  what will this car sell for in 5 years?  i love my money and i hate ploughing my hard earned cash into a sink hole. 
Replacing a car after 5 years seems like a guaranteed money-losing formula. You just ate the worst of the depreciation, and the car is still new enough to give you trouble-free service for at least another 3 or 4 years.

Not something I would ever do...

-Lik

Traum

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 04:52:59 pm »
As good as the Mazda3 is, its resale value still trails the Civic and Corolla though. Of course, the Sentra is little better, but I am not sure how the two (Mazda3 vs Sentra) compares.

Insurance on the Civic is also more expensive, but I think the Corolla is more reasonable. Not sure how the Mazda3 and Sentra compares though.

-Lik

ilovecables

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »
As good as the Mazda3 is, its resale value still trails the Civic and Corolla though.

FLAME SUIT ON - that's because most people who buy used Civics/Corollas are numb from the neck up.  :P

FLAME SUIT OFF - get the Mazda3, fun to drive, lots of aftermarket mods to make it even MORE fun.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 05:09:16 pm »
Actually...I'd buy the Corolla for it's better gas mileage and bullet proof reliability over the Mazda..though the Mazda is quite reliable too.....(and no, I'm not numb from the neck up).

I don't imagine your Kia is much of an entertaining or involving ride either..... :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...