Author Topic: and more stupid people in Owen Sound  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
and more stupid people in Owen Sound
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:50 pm »
maybe stupid people should have its own sub section

How much business will they lose ::)

Waitress laid off after shaving head for cancer
Jun 05, 2008 05:34 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OWEN SOUND - When she took part in a local fundraiser for cancer research, all Stacey Fearnall thought she had to lose was a full head of hair.

Instead, the 36-year-old waitress at Nathaniels restaurant in Owen Sound, who raised more than $2,700 for the charity Cops for Cancer in exchange for her locks, was laid off when she showed up for work earlier this week with a shorn head.

“She had been a little nervous all day long, but I think she was still hoping in her heart that she’d walk in there and they’d be like, ’Oh, wow — you look great,”’ Fearnall’s husband John said in an interview today.

“But that’s not the reaction she got.”

The mother of two, who was told by her boss to go home after she refused to wear a wig, was in tears when she returned home Tuesday just a half hour into her shift.

“When she went in she felt like there was something wrong with her,” her husband said.

“Nobody would really look at her, make eye contact. They didn’t really say anything and it made her feel kind of less than human.”

It was a slow night so she came home early, but when she called to say she’d be in the next day, she was told not to bother, he added.

Nathaniels owner and chef Dan Hilliard defended his decision, saying the restaurant has certain standards. He prohibits male staff from wearing earrings and requires employees keep their hair at a reasonable length.

Fearnall is still on the payroll and she can return to work once she grows her hair back, he said, adding she was offered the summer off to spend time with her kids.

Fearnall, who also works in a plant nursery and as a caterer, told The Owen Sound Sun Times she was shocked by what happened.

“I honestly can’t believe this is happening,” she said. “It’s ridiculous that I would be punished for doing a good thing.”

The restaurant owners said they told Fearnall well in advance they wouldn’t be pleased if she participated in the fundraiser and suggested she could have found other ways to support the cause.

But Fearnall said she never got a clear answer when she asked if she’d still have a job if she went through with her plan.

Fearnall decided to take part in the popular fundraiser because cancer has struck close to home in recent years. Her father died of the disease five years ago and a cousin and close friend are currently battling the disease.

John Fearnall said it would be nice if his wife got an apology and noted she’s not likely to return to the job, even when her hair grows back.

“She was surprised by the treatment. (The owners are) nice people. They’re good people. It’s just surprising the way that they treated her and I think that was what hurt her so much.”

He said he called the Ontario Labour Relations Board and was told the family has little recourse but to consider filing a human rights complaint.

“I think the court of public opinion is going to be enough, perhaps at this point,” he said.

Hilliard admitted the story isn’t great PR for the restaurant, but as far as he’s concerned, it’s an internal staff problem.

Besides, he said he’s already heard from some customers who agree with him and say they would have been “appalled” to have been served at Fearnall’s table.

Still, not everybody agrees. The incident has left some fellow restaurateurs shaking their heads.

“I’m totally shocked. I’m actually totally shocked as well as all of my customers,” said Wanda Doubt, who owns the nearby restaurant Wanda’s and Mike’s.

“That’s absolutely ridiculous. Cops for Cancer, there couldn’t be a better charity.”

Jen Wright of the Bluewater Cancer Society said she’s never heard of anything like this.

“It apparently has not happened anywhere across Canada, according to the Canadian Cancer Society,” she said.

“We support her and thank her and all the participants for all the money that they have raised over the years.”

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: and more stupid people in Owen Sound
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:44 pm »
More like a power thing to me ... Told you not to do something, but you still did it ... so I have to punish you ...

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:16 pm »
If this is really what happened I hope many customers go to different restaurants for awhile to teach the owner a lesson. Cancer strikes so many people that few aren't affected by it in some way (family member, friend, aquintance getting cancer).

The restaurant could have gone the other way and promoted what she was doing and turned this into such a postive P.R. move. What would have happened if the waitress lost her hair due to chemo?

Absolutely absurd. Raspberries to the owners! >:(

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:56:27 pm »
I hope a good lawyer sees that and volunteers his services to her.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:05:34 pm »
Man, what a bonehead move by that restaurant owner. I'm sure that public reaction will not treat him favourably. What kind of person would be "appalled" to be served by a bald waitress?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:16 pm »
I hope he goes out of business over that. What an swerver. He better be looking over his shoulder for Karma.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:26:56 pm »
I'd hate to see people slamming the restaurant on this site:
http://www.restaurantica.com/on/owen-sound/nathaniels-restaurant/23004468/   ;)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:25:59 pm »
What kind of person would be "appalled" to be served by a bald waitress?

The kind I wouldn't want in my restaurant anyway.  I agree, idiotic move by an idiotic owner.  And to rub salt in her wounds, he says, "oh, but you can come back when your hair grows out to an acceptable length".  Why not just come out and say "I am an incredibly, incredibly shallow person who values physical attributes far more than your skills and abilities as a server."

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:01 pm »
What would be fitting would be to have all of the Owen Sound cops, firemen and ambulance people who regularly do this, walk in en masse in her support and just sit there. The power of people!

It's a big event Canada wide and when you see a cop or a fireman bald or anyone else who has joined the fight, you know where their heart is.

It's going to be tough for the owner to get past this. Bad move, bad karma.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:29 pm »
I'd hate to see people slamming the restaurant on this site:
http://www.restaurantica.com/on/owen-sound/nathaniels-restaurant/23004468/   ;)

From the site it appears to be a fairly upscale establishment. Just the same though I would be happy to be served by someone who did such a good deed. Bonehead move by someone (the owner) who may well be a good person.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:06:20 pm »
^^^^Yea.  Not sure of the response would be the same if it was an Appleby's or something.  This place charges $100+ per meal per person by the sounds of it...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:52 pm »
story made the CBC National

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 10:37:44 pm »
That's the great thing about tabloid evening news coverage.  One minute it's coverage of a slain army Captain in Afcanastan and the next minute it's a story about a bald waitress.  No wonder ppl are frickin batty.

barrie1

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:12 am »
They fired a woman here in London Last week at a Tim Hortons for giving a squawky Baby a Timbit to shut it up. About 35 other customers thought it was a great thing to do as they wanted some quiet but the Boss fired the girl for stealing. Theft of a .17 Timbit was the charge. She had a job later the same day at another Tims nearby which she has since started as Head Office didn't like the stupiditity that was used at her location. She was a single mother of 4 kids.  :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 12:24:06 am »
The optics aren't great for the Owen Sound restaurant.  It'll be interesting to see if his clients care about the matter or not.   Or the owner knows his customer base, the kind who expects a certain "dress code" on the servers.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 01:05:34 am »
They fired a woman here in London Last week at a Tim Hortons for giving a squawky Baby a Timbit to shut it up. About 35 other customers thought it was a great thing to do as they wanted some quiet but the Boss fired the girl for stealing. Theft of a .17 Timbit was the charge. She had a job later the same day at another Tims nearby which she has since started as Head Office didn't like the stupiditity that was used at her location. She was a single mother of 4 kids.  :)

I heard about that one.  With the labour market as tight as it is, I'm surprised the manager fired her...  never mind the ridiculousness of the supposed "charge".  If it's a big deal, dock the 17 cents from her pay...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 06:20:43 am »

I heard about that one.  With the labour market as tight as it is, I'm surprised the manager fired her...  never mind the ridiculousness of the supposed "charge".  If it's a big deal, dock the 17 cents from her pay...

When I heard that story for the first time I thought that there was a lot more to the story than was being told. Maybe giving away the timbit was probably the last straw as this person has been doing other things wrong?

I find the press like to play up these small things to get people to read about them.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 06:23:25 am »
That's the great thing about tabloid evening news coverage.  One minute it's coverage of a slain army Captain in Afcanastan and the next minute it's a story about a bald waitress.  No wonder ppl are frickin batty.

This is the second ramp send off that my daughter has been to in Afghanistan :'(
Hopefully she be home soon

UmroAyyar

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:40:41 am »

This is the second ramp send off that my daughter has been to in Afghanistan :'(
Hopefully she be home soon

Tell her, CTC people wish her well.  :cheers:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 11:45:04 am »
Think the first post mentioned that the waitress was offer to work with a wig, and she wasn't fired.