Author Topic: Who the H... does CBC think they are?  (Read 13674 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Who the H... does CBC think they are?
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 09:36:32 am »
Maybe I'm odd...but who gives a $hit about this song....Maybe if there was this much outcry over our soldiers getting killed in Afghan, they'd be home next week.....Honestly...don't we have more pressing things to worry about than a stupid song?

When everything else in the world is going wrong, it's nice to have something to take your mind off the tragedy, despair and events going on around us that we are lucky not to be involved with, or have forced upon us, or have no control over. HNIC is that kind of 'comfort food' that we sometimes need to remind us that not everything is that bad and something good to look forward to. And it starts with that song - think of it as a relaxation tool that comes free of charge.

Yes it allows us to withdraw and take our minds off all the other crap going on and that is sometimes a very good thing. :thumbup:

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 09:41:59 am »
It was an either/or.

Either they would buy it for $1 million, or they'd continue paying the royalties, not both.
What's your source for this info, I'm curious, b/c I have never seen any reference to $1mm in any article I've read
This was being reported on CBC Radio at the end of last week. I would assume their sources would be correct.  ;)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 09:56:16 am »
Maybe I'm odd...but who gives a $hit about this song....Maybe if there was this much outcry over our soldiers getting killed in Afghan, they'd be home next week.....Honestly...don't we have more pressing things to worry about than a stupid song?

If you truly feel that way, why are you reading and posting on a car forum?  Shouldn't you be out marching in the streets, or writing to your MP?

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 10:25:06 am »

If you truly feel that way, why are you reading and posting on a car forum?  Shouldn't you be out marching in the streets, or writing to your MP?

It led on CBC New this morning. LED THE NEWS!

Next was that minor matter of a potential breech in national security.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:39 am »

If you notice, any story that involves the CBC is usually prominent on CBC news.  Whether it's CBC dropping the ball on a song, or funding for CBC, or a new host for CBC, or a new board member for CBC, whatever.  CBC loves to do stories about themselves whenever possible.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 11:27:29 am »

Well said. Besides, they announced this morning that CTV boughts the rights and now own the song.

CTV owns TSN ... The Saturday Night channel now with a new song...

Leviathan

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 12:56:23 pm »
When everything else in the world is going wrong, it's nice to have something to take your mind off the tragedy, despair and events going on around us that we are lucky not to be involved with, or have forced upon us, or have no control over. HNIC is that kind of 'comfort food' that we sometimes need to remind us that not everything is that bad and something good to look forward to. And it starts with that song - think of it as a relaxation tool that comes free of charge.

Yes it allows us to withdraw and take our minds off all the other crap going on and that is sometimes a very good thing. :thumbup:
And I bet that this was a popular topic of discussion amongst the troops.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 01:09:40 pm »

:iagree:
As I watched some programs recounting the Canadian contributions to the D-Day invasions and during WW I, I couldn't help but be sickened by the history challenged "patriots" and their cries that a TV theme song represents Canadian identity.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 01:58:22 pm »

If you notice, any story that involves the CBC is usually prominent on CBC news.  Whether it's CBC dropping the ball on a song, or funding for CBC, or a new host for CBC, or a new board member for CBC, whatever.  CBC loves to do stories about themselves whenever possible.

I give CBC lots of credit for doing that.  They seem willing to report on their own faults more than other media.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 02:05:44 pm »

I give CBC lots of credit for doing that.  They seem willing to report on their own faults more than other media.

The faults of other privately owned media are really nobody's business but their own. The CBC has that little technicality of being taxpayer funded to deal with.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »

I write and call my MP every other week.  Not so many marches here in Windsor, though I've been to a couple in the US before...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 05:58:28 pm »
I write and call my MP every other week.

That probably explains the black Crown Vic parked down the street. :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 05:59:27 pm »
No...that would be because of my "herb" garden..... :rofl2:

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 11:59:53 pm »
I say throw money at Stompin' Tom, then update and use "The Hockey Song" instead.   8)  :banana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWxErEbQkY

I read in the paper this morning that Tom had indeed offered his song to the CBC for use.  Not sure on what terms he offered, though.

I like this as a new hockey theme:
http://www.moneyshot.ca/uploads/moneyshot_amped_03_blades_of_steel.mp3

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 03:38:45 pm »
Too Funny - I like his style.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 04:48:22 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 12:50:10 am »

Well said. Besides, they announced this morning that CTV boughts the rights and now own the song.

Although I am not a big fan of the Toronto Sports Network, I may just tune in to their coverage of the NHL, now that they have scooped the song from CBC. :thumbup:
And with CBC offering $100,000 for ideas for a replacement song, it seems they are trying to get off cheap.

And yes, it is nice to take our minds off all the hell and crap that is going on in this world and focus on something that is just a little less stressful.