Author Topic: The Affordable RWD Coupes Are Coming!  (Read 16074 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
The Affordable RWD Coupes Are Coming!
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:07:31 pm »
We've been hearing rumors from Japan about a RWD, Toyota/Subaru project that would see a RWD replacement for the Celica and 2.5RS, and from Nissan about a 240SX-successor to slot in below the 370Z.  I'm not sure how reliable Auto Express is, but they've confirmed both of these projects will go into production in 2010.  An STI coupe? :drool:  Let's hope both these models make it to this side of the pond, since this article is from a British source, but all indications seem to be that North America will share these cars...

It's the most stylish Subaru ever! And this striking Impreza coupé will go into production in 2010.

Joining the recently launched hatch-back model, it will allow the Japanese company to tackle the BMW 3-Series Coupé and Nissan 350Z head-on, as well as reach out to new customers.

The car has been developed as part of a joint venture with Subaru owner Toyota – the project will also spawn a long-awaited successor to the Nineties Celica. The Impreza coupé takes styling cues from the five-door model, but gets a rakish rear end. That gives it a chunky yet athletic appearance which stands out from the crowd.

Power will come from a choice of two engines, both employing the flat-four boxer layout for which Subaru is famous. There’s a normally aspirated 2.0-litre unit giving around 180bhp, or a high-performance 2.5-litre turbo powerplant borrowed from the range-topping five-door STi. The latter will deliver in the region of 300bhp.

For the entry-level machine, the Impreza’s four-wheel-drive system will be dropped in favour of a more lightweight and less expensive rear-drive set-up. That will put the emphasis on maximum driving thrills. But the more powerful car will send power to four tyres to harness all that punch.

The newcomer will go on sale first in Japan and the US, and could arrive here in the UK in 2011. In entry-level guise, it’s set to cost around £20,000, with the flagship priced at £25,000.

In a related story, Nissan is working on an affordable rear-wheel-drive coupé to sit below the 350Z. The Silvia replacement will go on sale in 2010.

What's more, the Impreza coupe looks gorgeous!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/222900/subaru_impreza_coupe.html

Wolfe

Re: The Affordable RWD Coupes Are Coming!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:26 pm »
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:16:28 am by Wolfe »

SkiBunny

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:51 pm »
What is that big ol' hole in the front lid for, something to catch bugs? hehe

Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
What is that big ol' hole in the front lid for, something to catch bugs? hehe

That's the intake for the squirrel mincer.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:09 pm »
That's the intake for the squirrel mincer.

:rofl2:

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:05 pm »
It's the most stylish Subaru ever! And this striking Impreza coupé will go into production in 2010.

Joining the recently launched hatch-back model, it will allow the Japanese company to tackle the BMW 3-Series Coupé and Nissan 350Z head-on, as well as reach out to new customers.

I was under the impression that they were gonna go for a lot less ... something around 20 000$.  A £20,000 (almost 40 000 CAD) starting price is not very "affordable" IMHO.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

vdk

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 09:13:42 pm »

I was under the impression that they were gonna go for a lot less ... something around 20 000$.  A £20,000 (almost 40 000 CAD) starting price is not very "affordable" IMHO.

I was thinking it'll cost a lot less too. I don't think a 3 Coupes or a Zs are that affordable...

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 09:44:17 pm »
For the record, (1) the pictured car is complete speculation--nobody knows what it will really look like, and (2) Autoblog recently said that the Toyota RWD coupe would be Japanese domestic market only.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »

$40-50 000 for the AWD coupe sounds about right, given that's what the STI goes for.  I would imagine something in the range of $30 000 for the more basic one, putting on on par with the Civic Si or GTI, but RWD.  I'd also be unsurprised to see a turbocharged, WRX-like RWD model, since the naturally aspirated model is a bit down on power compared to the competition...

Mitlov, I've heard that the Toyota version will indeed be JDM only, but Subaru will be offering a RWD version outside of Japan.  I guess we'll find out...  :)

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:28:40 pm »
By the way, the original poster forgot to mention the Genesis 2.0T, which should be brilliant.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:50 pm »
^^Oh yea...it will rule for sure.  Based on the Mits EVO block.  These things will be making 300HP in no time flat...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:45:03 pm »
Good timing  ;D More pics after the jump!

Spied! First-Ever Look At Toyota-Subaru RWD Coupe
http://news.windingroad.com/body-stylesmarket-segment/coupes/spied-first-ever-look-at-toyota-subaru-rwd-coupe/

Earlier today we took a look at a rather shot-in-the-dark rendering of the upcoming rear-wheel-drive coupe from Toyota and Subaru. Our friendly neighborhood spy photographers at CarPix must have been tuned in, as they’ve come back this evening with the first-ever real images of the car–at least in prototype form.

The vehicle captured in these photographs is clearly using a Subaru’s Legacy as its base but it looks as if the front and rear clips, wheelbase, and interior have all been modified from stock. There are a pair of Recaro bucket seats that hint at a strongly sporting nature, as well as a strangely visible Toyota emblem in the rear seat area. The heavy white camouflage covering most of the car’s body may obscure much of the coachwork, but it does indicate that there is something worth hiding (re: not just more Legacy) underneath.

We’re told that news of the coupe’s powerplant has also leaked out, with a 2.0-liter boxer four making about 220 horsepower specified. A six-speed gearbox is also said to be part of the package. Perhaps the most exciting part of the new ToyBaru however is in its alleged price, which is said to start just south of $20,000. Consider our interest piqued.

Seems to be the Toyota version of the prototype.  Japan is probably gonna get a more understated Toyota looking vehicle than the Subaru version that is meant for world distribution.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:48:35 pm by G0dspd »

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:43:50 am »
220 horsepower from a 2.0L naturally-aspirated four, in a sub-$20,000 car (a RWD car, no less) is clearly either a misprint or excessive optimism.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 12:57:44 am »
220 horsepower from a 2.0L naturally-aspirated four, in a sub-$20,000 car (a RWD car, no less) is clearly either a misprint or excessive optimism.

Honda S2K territory. Toyota is in F1, the number is very achievable. Sub $2k not as sure.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 01:01:36 am »
The Impreza 2.5i starts at $16 995 in the States.  If we assume for a moment that ToyBaru takes the simplest route and replaces some sheet metal on the Impreza (a fairly simple matter, really) and drops a more powerful engine in it, it should be entirely possible to price it below $20 000.  The Impreza (and Legacy, if they went that route instead) platforms are already setup for RWD - tuners have modified their Subarus for RWD, and from what I hear getting the car to drive only the back tires is relatively straightforward.  Apparently, though, the car has no traction, since the suspension is setup for AWD and needs complete revision.  :D

But really, if ToyBaru is using an existing platform and tweaking an existing engine, I don't see why they can't price a RWD Impreza coupe near the $20k mark...

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 09:52:46 am »

Honda S2K territory. Toyota is in F1, the number is very achievable. Sub $2k not as sure.

According to Edmunds, peak horsepower is made at only 6500 rpm.  220 hp in a 2.0L naturally-aspirated four at that low of an rpm is quite the trick indeed.  For comparison, the S2000 makes its peak horsepower at 7800 rpm.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126521

ONE of these numbers has to be wrong: 220 horsepower, 6500 rpm, 2.0L, US$20,000.

Wolfe

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:41:48 am »
If this car is supposed to be priced affordably then I highly doubt that it'll have an all new engine. Maybe it'll come with a JDM 2.0L that we haven't seen here but not something new and exotic like a 220hp, 2.0L naturally aspirated engine.

I'd expect it to have more or less the same 2.5L NA and turbo engines from the Impreza lineup.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 10:55:32 am »
It would really be a dilemma for Subaru.

Won't that compete with Impreza for market share, which isn't huge anyway?

Impreza, 2.5L NA, 175hp AWD. Sub $20k

Impreza Coupe (made up), 2.0L 200+ hp or even 160hp RWD. Sub $20k.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 02:24:25 pm »
???  Subaru doesn't care if it eats into Impreza sales as long as the net sales of both cars are high.  Honda offers a Civic coupe, doesn't that eat into sales of the sedan?  Likewise Accord, Altima, Camry (Solara)...

6500 rpm is very low for an engine that size to make all that power, indeed.  Is there something about the boxer configuration I'm missing that makes it conceivable...?

ilovecables

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 06:17:04 am »
Not to hijack the thread - what bonehead decided to put the drive wheels up front in the first place?
It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.  :P