Author Topic: Amusing Street Racing Article  (Read 6703 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
Amusing Street Racing Article
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:53:47 pm »
Not sure if this is a repost or not:

Hey look at me! I'm a street racer!

Special to the Star

May 24, 2008

I am now officially a "street racer."

I went up to Dave & Buster's in Vaughan, near Highways 7 and 400. I confronted the young kids in their slammed Civics and tarted up STis, and said, "Okay, dudes, who's got a pink slip they want to put up? I got a four-year-old diesel-powered automatic transmission Volkswagen Jetta station wagon, and this silver-haired old man is ready to take on any of you. Anyone got the guts?

"That Natalie Wood look-alike can drop the hanky for me; that Christina Aguilera look-alike can drop the hanky for you."

Well, it didn't happen exactly like that.

I was cruising along with the flow of traffic on the 401 at just under 140 km/h. I thought about the recent furor generated by OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino, that anyone doing 50 over the limit is automatically a street racer, and wondered what it would be like to be a Bad Boy.

So I nudged the accelerator just a titch, and barely saw 150 on the clock.

Wow! I'm a street racer!

In a Volkswagen. Jetta. Station wagon. Diesel. Automatic.

It was so much fun that a few weeks later I tried it again, this time in a 70-hp three cylinder sub-1.0 L Smart car. Okay, so it does have a Ferrari-style Formula One paddle shifter.

And seconds after I backed off from this lofty speed, an OPP paddy wagon went flying by me – no emergency lights – as if I were painted on the pavement.

C'mon, Julian. Get a grip. You can't even convince your own employees to buy into this nonsense.

And I read recently that a cop from another jurisdiction stopped a cop in a marked cruiser, who was allegedly driving more than 50 km over the limit. So much for that "we're-all-in-this-together" theory.

We build highways that are capable of these speeds. We have cars that are capable of these speeds. There is considerable doubt we have drivers that are capable of these speeds, but until or unless you choose to do something about that, you can't keep trying to be King Canute, driving back the tides, trying to keep us from driving at these speeds.

Ontario drivers are voting with their right feet, every single day.

You are proud of the fact that Ontario has the safest highways in North America. Fair enough. And there's no doubt that we shouldn't ever be satisfied, and seek to be even better.

But this little speed vendetta of yours is a complete and utter waste of time, and of scarce police resources.

According to a recent story in the Toronto Star, as of last weekend 5,000 vehicles had been impounded by your new edict, their owners subject to massive financial penalties that will continue to accrue due to raised insurance premiums.

Has it had any effect whatsoever?

Recently, your minions stated that speed-related fatalities have been reduced by 41 per cent from last year, hinting, if not directly claiming, that the street racer law is responsible for this dramatic decrease.

Just as similar claims made to support photo radar 12 years ago proved spurious, this one stinks of statistical skulduggery too.

First, every car crash is "speed-related" to one degree or another. If nobody is moving, i.e. there is no speed, then there are no crashes – unless a stationary car falls off a bridge.

Second, a change of this magnitude to a "mature" statistic like this clearly cannot be attributed to any single intervention, and surely is an anomaly. If there is any joke about statistics, it's that two points make a straight line, three points make a trend. You barely have two points here.

Third, the police seem to still be catching "street racers" in undiminished numbers, which suggests that this intervention is not in fact slowing down many people; anyone with eyes can see the same thing on any stretch of controlled-access highway in this province.

So even if 41 per cent is a robust number, wouldn't we notice a simultaneous decrease in the number of street-racer arrests, and in average speed on the highways?

Not to mention that this procedure flies in the face of a thousand years of British common law jurisprudence, turning the cop into the judge, jury and executioner. The punishment is meted out with the alleged perpetrator never having a minute in court, let alone his day.

Ontario's good traffic safety record has been there for a long time, far longer than this recent endeavour, far longer than you, Mr. Commissioner, have even been in office, so claiming any credit for it at all is fatuous.

Ironically, these speed racer stats were also quoted in a recent Star report of a Victoria Day holiday tragedy where three young women died going approximately zero km/h, after doing a U-turn on a country road. Two apparently weren't wearing their seatbelts, a disturbing sign, but when you get T-boned by a transport truck, seatbelts aren't likely to help.

Here's my bet as to why Ontario has such good overall safety numbers: most such statistics are based on deaths-per-so-many-vehicle-kilometres travelled. It is well known that controlled-access highways are by far our safest roads, because the opportunities for T-bone or head-on crashes – by far the most dangerous type of car crash – are virtually eliminated.

How ironic, again, that highways are also by far our fastest roads.

And I'm guessing that Ontario has a higher percentage of traffic travelling on highways – 401 et al. – than just about anywhere.

Hence, better overall safety numbers. Just a guess.

Not that I am trying to make light of street racing. Okay, I am, but I am not condoning it. Sure, it is an issue, but statistically it is a very small issue.

And automatically slapping that label on anyone who goes 50 over the artificially low speed limit (20 over what I think should be the real limit) isn't going to help.

If you want to do something intelligent about speed on our highways, try following the lead of other jurisdictions that have done it successfully.

The key? Set a realistic speed limit, one that the driving public will buy into, and enforce it consistently.

Most Ontario highways can easily handle 130 km/h. They do, for hundreds of thousands of cars, every day.

So make that the limit, make sure we all know it, and apply the needed enforcement.

Geez, if they can make it work in France – and they have – why won't it work here? Surely it's worth a try.

Oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt if we could do something about our lane discipline too.

Imagine, roads that are faster, more efficient and safer!

Dare to dream, Julian. Dare to dream.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: Amusing Street Racing Article
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:21:18 pm »
Ontario drivers are voting with their right feet, every single day.

So because people speed, people should be allowed to speed?  The crux of this article seems to be speed, so here's a thought: it isn't hard to not go 50km/h above the speed limit.  There's no excuse for going 50km/h above the speed limit.  And while the author is right that the roads and cars can handle it, he admits himself, many drivers cannot.

As for "slapping that label" (racer) on anyone doing 50 over, the Safe Highways Act doesn't do that.  The media does that, by constantly referring to the Act as a "street racing" law.  Hey, Toronto Star: the kettle called, he says look in the mirror.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:37 pm »
I think you've missed the point.  The biggest complaint over this law is not whether we should get punished for going 50 over, it's that it automatically makes you guilty, without any due process or trial, and worse, you are guilty based on a judgment call of the officer.  IIRC, in one section the officer doesn't even have to SEE you racing to make the judgment call and find you guilty of racing.

And yes, the safe Highway Act does label it in as close of a manner as you can without saying "street racing."  Look at the header in the Highway Traffic Act for this section when Bill 203 came into force.  The new rules are in the heading "Races, Contests and Stunts".   ::)  But yea...no one is calling it street racing...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:57 pm »
I noted the mention that gets, but the bulk of the article reads like whining, not about the unfairness of the law.  The author spends considerable time on how he is a "street racer" in a "Volkswagen. Jetta. Station wagon. Diesel. Automatic."  There is a scant one paragraph I see about how it is unfair that the speeder has no chance at trial.  FWIW (and I do not entirely agree with this procedure, but) the vehicle impoundment could be compared to jail time.  Police are legally entitled to confine a suspect without charge, and are allowed to indefinitely hold someone who is charged but not convicted.  Why should they not be able to take similar action against a driver (or their vehicle) if they are observed in violation of the Traffic Act?  Just food for thought.

The point remains, it is the media that has blown the supposed "street racing law" out of proportion.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with a law that discourages excessive speeding (and 50 over is excessive in my books).

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:27 am »
This speeding law is a bit ‘draconian’, but as usual since you can’t legislate common sense, you  have to force it somehow.   I think the article was implying that the speed limit is too low on our highways, so if limit is moved from 100 to 120, do you think there will be as many drivers exceeding 170 as there are exceeding the 150 today?  I don’t think so, but there will be exceptions and they should be punished with a hefty speeding fine.
I think most of us would prefer more policing on the highways targeting bad drivers (weaving, improper lane changes, etc), not just specifically optimum revenue generating infractions.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 12:26:45 pm »
How long would it take for attitudes to change if it were the speeders who were locked up for seven days and their car keys sent home instead. ??? Wouldn't that bring an outcry.

But on the other hand that could be the actual deterrent needed to make the law work! ::)

UmroAyyar

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:28:47 pm »
How long would it take for attitudes to change if it were the speeders who were locked up for seven days and their car keys sent home instead. ??? Wouldn't that bring an outcry.

But on the other hand that could be the actual deterrent needed to make the law work! ::)

Now thats an interesting and original idea.  :idea:

robarakira

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 02:11:31 pm »
How much extra revenue have these street racing laws brought to the various Ontario governments?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:14:17 pm »
50KPH OV'r P'shaw im my YOOF that woz from light to light......give us a NEW challenge...SUPER+RACERS....10 years in Hawaii Or Bali fer 100 Over tha limit.................. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :stick: >:D :drive: :bow: :bow: :light: >:D :cp2: :skid: :drive: :cp2: :winner: :drive2: :bounce: :drool: :run: :run: :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:12 pm »
50 over is excessive, but not with an "articificially" low major highway speed limit. In town and city driving there's no problem. If you have to keep the law, fine. Raise the highway limit to 120.

Just because you do not like the speed limit does not in and of itself justify breaking it.  I agree with the premise that speed limits are to low.  I still keep within the threshold of the limit, however.  I may know my car and the road can handle faster, but (artificially low or not), the speed limit is the law, and you're expected to follow it.

Saying "I only speed because the speed limit is to low" is not a defense.  You can follow the speed limit, or you can speed and accept the consequences, but you can't speed knowing you're breaking the law and then complain about the consequences.

If highway speed limits need to be raised, then concentrate the effort wasted whining about the "street racing" law on petitioning the government to enact realistic limits.

With regard to due process of law: like traffic tickets, this is a Highway Act violation, not a Criminal Code Violation.  Tickets and punishments are only handed down after the police witness you performing the act in question.  What are you going to do in court?  "No, Your Honour, I didn't speed!"  It's your word against the police officer's...  Calling for "due process" only delays the inevitable.  I don't here anyone complaining that you can't have your day in court before receiving a parking ticket...  why not?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 02:23:58 pm »
..there are 8 MILLION Shiitylaws onna books Danno..............call in MacGyver.........

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 02:49:56 pm »

There's an idea - give you the choice.  You go to jail for 7 days, or your car does.  You have 24 hrs to decide.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 03:04:17 pm »
..ship us both ta MONACO.................och aye tha noo muffer fudders :stick: ;)

robarakira

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 03:31:10 pm »
Demo,

You play devil's advocate well, but be weary of becoming an ethical legalist (ie. what the law says is what is right).  

Laws are just rules made by the popular monkeys.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 11:26:57 am »

Just because you do not like the speed limit does not in and of itself justify breaking it.  I agree with the premise that speed limits are to low.  I still keep within the threshold of the limit, however.  I may know my car and the road can handle faster, but (artificially low or not), the speed limit is the law, and you're expected to follow it.

Demo,

You say you 'keep within the threshold of the limit'.  As in, you drive at or below the speed limit...as in, you drive at or below 100 km/h on the 401???

May I suggest that doing 99 km/h (roughly 30km/h or more below the 'flow' in many sections) is more dangerous than driving 150 km/h?

But it's the law, so it must be right.

I think the point that Vmango and others are making is, the ridiculously large penalty associated with doing 150 km/h on such roads is way out of whack with other punishments (drunk driving, etc).

I have one speeding ticket in my 10+ years of driving for doing 113 in and 80 on a country road up in Haliburton.  I don't 'excessively' speed anywhere really.  I DO, however, drive roughly 130-140 km/h on the 401 between Toronto and KW, and I find that pace keeps me nicely within the flow of traffic in the middle and left lane. 

Yet this law says I'm only 10 km/h away from having my license taken away?? 

Of course, your point that people should be directing their complaints to the artifically low speed limits (I say artificial, b/c a speed limit of roughly 125 km/h or so seems to be what the OPP enforce) is well noted.  But until those limits change, how does it make any to have this law based relative to them?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:34:42 am by evil_twin »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 11:39:52 am »
Within the threshold? 149Km/h?

When the road conditions are great, 120Km/h is too slow. When the road conditions are bad, sometimes in winter, 120Km/h is way too excessive.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 11:57:34 am »
I've never driven the 401.  Car is out here on the West Coast.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with the law in and of itself.  You point out it does not make sense given other laws, such as drunk driving.  But that does not mean the speeding laws need changing per say, but that the drunk driving laws need to be stricter (and imo, they do).  The fallacy with your argument is that it correctly identifies problems with the speeding law relative to other laws, but incorrectly attributes blame to the speeding law, when really we're talking about a problem with drunk driving laws.

I do not believe for a moment that some people (in general, you may or may not agree) would suddenly quiet themselves if the Ontario government added drunk driving to the list of offenses resulting in a 7-day impoundments.  They would find other reasons to attack the speeding law.

As for the artificially low speed limits on the 400-series highways: yes, I agree they're low.  And yes, speeding may well be safer than going the limit in that situation.  But you yourself admit that the "flow of traffic" is not 50 over, and so you have nothing to worry about from the new law.  Those that have been caught have been doing 170-200km/h.  The road and car might be able to do it, but at those speeds my concern lies with the reaction time of the driver, and the vehicle's braking system.  IMO there's no need for 170 km/h on public roads, and it's excessive speeders like those that this law is meant to target, not people going with the flow on the 401.  If they ticketed everyone for going with the flow, there's be tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of tickets issued every day...

robarakira

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 01:11:09 pm »
All 400-series highways should have at least two lanes in each direction, with HOV lanes separated from general traffic with a striped buffer zone and full shoulder if necessary. Lanes of opposing directions should always be separated either by a grass median, usually of sufficient width to prevent cross-directional collisions, to provide drainage, and may allow for future expansion, or an "Ontario tall-wall" concrete barrier if a grass median is not feasible (the tall wall is based upon the Jersey barrier but is not reinforced and higher at 1070-mm.[1] Full-width left and right paved shoulders are employed on 400-series highways, with rumble strips on each side of the carriageway.

Most 400-series highways have design speed of at least 130 km/h (80 mph), although the posted speed on signs is 100 km/h. Exceptions could be made for sections in urban areas where a 130 km/h design speed cannot be realistically implemented, including Highway 403 through Hamilton (90 km/h), Highway 406 through downtown St. Catharines (80 km/h), and near approaches to border crossings (Highway 401 in Windsor, 402 in Sarnia, and 405 in Niagara-on-the-Lake), which all have a maximum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Unless there are land space constraints, 4-way junctions should employ parclo interchanges with ramps on the right-hand side when it meets with a surface road in order to help maintain speed on the highways. However, there is no standard for freeway-to-freeway junction as it depends upon traffic volumes, only that there must not be any traffic weaving when merging onto each road (this makes interchanges such as the cloverleaf not up to 400-series standard). Acceleration/deceleration lanes from interchanges must be at least 150 meters long to allow for smooth speed increase/decrease and traffic merging, unless there are land space constraints. In addition, 400 meter or longer "weave lanes" are required for transitions to/from HOV lanes across the buffer zones to allow for safe mergers.

Many 400-series highways have also recently had gates installed at entrance ramps, along with special gated ramps located near overpasses, allowing access to the highway to be easily closed in case of emergency or road work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400-Series_Highways

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »
Most 400-series highways have design speed of at least 130 km/h (80 mph), although the posted speed on signs is 100 km/h. Exceptions could be made for sections in urban areas where a 130 km/h design speed cannot be realistically implemented, including Highway 403 through Hamilton (90 km/h), Highway 406 through downtown St. Catharines (80 km/h), and near approaches to border crossings (Highway 401 in Windsor, 402 in Sarnia, and 405 in Niagara-on-the-Lake), which all have a maximum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph).

including Highway 403 through Hamilton (90 km/h)

I take this way when I drive from TO - London. It is great when you have no traffic in your way and can hit 139kph (140kph is 50 over) going through the corners.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:56 pm »
Most 400-series highways have design speed of at least 130 km/h (80 mph), although the posted speed on signs is 100 km/h.

:yawn:  No one is arguing that the roads are physically capable of high speeds.  Indeed, I think we can all agree on that.  That says nothing about the people driving on those roads...

A Veyron can do 300 mph on a public roadway.  That doesn't mean it should.