Author Topic: Make my computer healthy  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Make my computer healthy
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:09 am »
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good & safe system that does a computer check/cleanup that helps computer runs better. I have seen a few out there that I can download for free but I am wary of using somehting that is not recommended. Would of course like a feree one!!!!

- I presently run AD-Aware form time to time.
- Use CC-cleaner to clear my cookies and temp files.
- Every couple months I do a defragment run on my computer.
- I use Trend-Micro PC cillin as anti virus.

Despite all this I find my computer slower than it was a year ago.

Not sure if it is because my internet provider (Bell Sympatico) is not providing speed I am paying for. I have no idea how to find out what speed I am really getting.

Thanks
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Make my computer healthy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:22:52 am »
A registry cleaner might help things.  I've used System Mechanic in the past with great success.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:30:47 am »
listing age of machine, cpu, amount of memory,  video card, OS and so on would be a help.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:52:39 am »
It would also be a good idea to go in and delete all of the files that are stored every time you go to a site. They take up a lot of memory because they open every time you turn on the computer. Go into internet options and you will see browsing history. Delete files and save cookies if you have several sites you regularly use. Otherwise dump 'em as well.

That should give you a boost.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:28:30 am »
You seem to do all the right things, dont' change anything.

Check your ISPs speed using this. http://www.speedtest.net/ . We had a long thread, members bragging about their internet speeds.  ;D

Your system's brief specs would help.

Most likely you are running Windows XP. If you are, then installs XP Serivce Pack 3, your computer should get a bit better. Whether its Windows or Apple OS X, it gets slower in about an year, fragmentation, more files, libraries added to the system and the placebo effect of being getting used to the speed it runs at.

I do a reinstall every year on my Mac and PC.

Office 2007 considerably slows down windows xp, install the new service pack, that would help a bit.

Registry defrag is a good idea by tortoise. System Mechanic helps, I use this software to defrag Registry
http://www.download.com/WinASO-RegDefrag/3000-2094_4-10418079.html?part=dl-WinASOReg&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=10469518

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:06 pm »
You should notice the difference between slowness of the PC or just the internet.

A lot of people make an image of the OS, and re-image the HD every six months or so. Windows will be Windows, they need a re-do every now and then.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:41:02 pm »
While the above is good advice, I also would look at your own expectations.  When the computer is new, we are amazed at the speed.  A few months later, we are now accustomed to it and might even start snapping our fingers in impatience when in fact the response time really has not changed.

I do question the need to re-do the computers on a regular basis.  My stock Intel Core 2 duo iMac is now almost a year old and is still operating like new.  My work mac (old G4) has some new RAM and my work PC is a relatively new Intel Core 2 duo box with Vista, again with extra RAM (4 GB).  None of the above requires any extensive overhauling.

Yes, Sympatico has its moments, both good and bad.  I notice that they are throttling certain traffic which in turn can cause some apps to slow or even timeout under the right circumstances.  Even their mail services have gone downhill since converting to a Hotmail based service.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:40 pm »
clean yer clock..but yer cookies!!!!! ::) :P.....Monstrous........ 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 01:15:44 pm »
I'm still running a Duron 900, with a Windows XP system that hasn't been re-installed in five years. It still seems to work fine.

One thing to watch is if a lot of programs are running in the background. There's always a few that are needed, but most are not. The toolbar should not be choked with icons.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete (on XP anyway) will bring up a box showing where your CPU's effort is going.

Start-Run-msconfig-startup will show you what programs are loading when your computer starts up.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:06:37 pm »
random, but your year old computer is a mac, of course you don't have issues.  I've had my mac for over a year upgraded the OS without re-formatting it didn't go smoothly but still no need to reformet.  All the while I reformatted my windows machine 3 times.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 08:08:04 am »
Thanks for the repsonses. I should tell you that I am good at using a computer but no nothing about its operation or techy stuff. Alll the RAM, ROM, bits and bites stuff is Greek to me.

It is Dell that I bought in 2003
I use XP Home edition as operating system
RAM          512 MB   
CPU          2.20 GHz

Check your ISPs speed using this. http://www.speedtest.net/ .

Did speed test and came up with this:

downloads 438 kbs/sec
uploads     367 kbs/sec
ping          320 ms

Is this good?????

Based on suggestion I installed Service pack #3. It took hours to install and in the end my computer does not seem any faster.

One thing to watch is if a lot of programs are running in the background. There's always a few that are needed, but most are not. The toolbar should not be choked with icons.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete (on XP anyway) will bring up a box showing where your CPU's effort is going.

Start-Run-msconfig-startup will show you what programs are loading when your computer starts up.

Suspect I do have a lot of programs running on start up that I do not need. I displayed "Start-Run-msconfig-startup" and saw the list of stuff but I am not sure which ones to remove or how to do that.

I see that it was set to "normal start-up  Load all device drivers and services."  Should I change it to "Diagnostic startup - load basic devices and services only" ?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:41:19 am »

downloads 438 kbs/sec
uploads     367 kbs/sec
ping          320 ms

Is this good?Huh?

Mind blowingly bad. How much are you paying? Call up Bell and yell at them.

EDIT: Also, go and buy more memory.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

kelli

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:43 am »
I've just tackled this problem a few days ago.. my boot time was bad..my program launch, bad.. it was painful to use my laptop..

Then i started checking around and noticed i had some serious rootkit issues.. different from virus' and nasty little buggers.

I did a free scan with PrevX CSI.. and then bought Prevx 2.0 and the laptop is screaming fast now. Highly recommended if the CSI finds issues.

Free Scan Here
http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

UmroAyyar

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:31 am »

downloads 438 kbs/sec
uploads     367 kbs/sec
ping          320 ms

Is this good?Huh?

Mind blowingly bad. How much are you paying? Call up Bell and yell at them.

EDIT: Also, go and buy more memory.

:iagree: Get 1GB more atleast.

Go to www.crucial.com. Run their memory upgrade advisor or something. It will tell you which type of memory to buy e.g. DDR2 / PC25400. 1GB stick should cost around $25-$40 depending on the type.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:38:02 am »
Thanks for the repsonses. I should tell you that I am good at using a computer but no nothing about its operation or techy stuff. Alll the RAM, ROM, bits and bites stuff is Greek to me.

It is Dell that I bought in 2003
I use XP Home edition as operating system
RAM          512 MB   
CPU          2.20 GHz

P4 2.2, uses DDR ram, and IDE HD. DDR is twice the price of DDR2. With 512MB of RAM, running multiple programs will be slow. $300 buys a duo core PC with 1 GB DDR2 & sata HD, don't think it is worth while to upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:44:52 am by initial_D »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:20:30 pm »
512MB and XP is good enough for surfing around.   Your Internet connection looks kind of slow.   What kind bandwidth are you paying for? 

UmroAyyar

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 05:24:09 pm »
Its your call slybry. $40 for 1gb memory or a $400 computer. initial_D seems correct, it could be DDR PC3200 memory.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 07:02:11 pm »
I've got the same issue, 512 of old-style DDR memory, too expensive to add more really. But my computer feels fast enough, a faster internet connection helps, my result is 2762 d/l and 648 u/l.

As as memory goes I installed the free Wincleaner Memory optimizer program which gives a readout of memory (and processor load) and lets me reclaim tied up memory. Comes in handy occasionally.

But overall it feels quick in everyday use running multiple programs, editing photos, etc. Dual monitor so it gets worked pretty hard.

Much smaller computer than the OP.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27:45 pm »
Back up everything important, then reinstall windows.

Then only install what you need on it, that should clear a lot of the crap that gets stored up over time, I'm going to do it to this laptop soon...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 12:03:01 am »
I just ran the test on my laptop and got:
4321 kbs download
671 kbs upload
71 ms ping

Not bad! :) I am with Sympatico and I am on an older package.