Author Topic: GM closing Oshawa truck plant  (Read 68671 times)

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
Re: GM closing Oshawa truck plant
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »
Tenpenny's statement although harsh-does have a point, any business/country goes through cyclical changes-Canada has been in the last several years moving towards a service and information industry economy and at the cost of manufacturing and farming.
Governments have to balance an investment with a return (tax revenues from profitable enterprises), is it a wise investment pouring our tax $$ into unprofitable industries (looking long-term) or political PR (cause votes are very important) or purely ethical reasons
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2008, 04:26:35 pm »
Buzzzzzzzz was just on the radio doing an interview with a local talk show host. He didn't seem to comprehend that it was GM 's plant and they can do as they choose. He kept saying "no compromise" and that they will "force" GM to keep the plant open. ??? 

Force GM to keep the plant open ... and then what?  GM is already on life support and it's hoping for a miracle in 2010 when their "new" line-up will be introduced. (Volt, new engines, etc.)  What good is a job if you take down the company while you're trying to save it.  ::)

Considering the various things that were said in Ontario over the years about Maritimers, and the Newfoundland Cod Fishery, then I guess all I can say is, you lazy GM workers have to get over your culture of entitlement, get out of these cyclical businesses, and move to where the jobs are.  The rest of the country shouldn't have to subsidize you just because you donn't want to change when the world economy changes.

There's work in Alberta, get out on the road.

+1 from an exiled New-Brunswicker
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2008, 04:32:05 pm »
GM workers have to get over your culture of entitlement, get out of these cyclical businesses, and move to where the jobs are.  The rest of the country shouldn't have to subsidize you just because you donn't want to change when the world economy changes.

I agree.  Most of us here have had jobs where the chopping block has come down and poof no more job.  I know I have and I got over it and moved on.  I have one phrase for them.

'Suck it up Buttercup!'

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2008, 05:49:59 pm »
The govs were trying to get VW to build here and they did not succeed. I wonder if a ready made factory and available workforce would make it worth trying again.

My preference would be having  Citroen/Peugeot  or Renault(with Nissan)  come back into our NA market and start building cars here..... or even Fiat. 

Great idea! If GM doesn't want to produce here then get someone else to produce vehicles in the plant. Maybe Hyundai wants to start producing vehicles in Canada for Hyundai and/or Kia?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2008, 05:56:42 pm »
Isn't Ontario gaining 2000 automotive jobs as the Toyota Woodstock plant comes online this year producing RAV4's?

The GM Oshawa truck plant closing only loses 1000.

2000-1000= a net gain of 1000 auto plant jobs for Ontario this year.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2008, 07:43:14 pm »
Ford has been hiring back some of their laid off workers too.

Apr 15, 2008

OAKVILLE – Ford of Canada says it will hire up to 500 workers at its Oakville, Ont., assembly plant by July.

The automaker says it needs the staff to keep up with demand for its Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover utility vehicles.

Those products will be joined in July by the new Ford Flex, a full-size crossover utility vehicle.

Ford spokeswoman Lauren More says the jobs will be offered first to 700 laid-off workers in Windsor before applications are opened to others.

Canadian Auto Workers union president Buzz Hargrove hails the announcement as a welcome bit of good news in a hard-hit industry.

The Oakville expansion is the second jobs boost Ford has delivered for Ontario in the past month after saying it would reopen an engine plant in Windsor, bringing back 300 of almost 1,000 laid-off workers.

GM workers have to get over your culture of entitlement, get out of these cyclical businesses, and move to where the jobs are.  The rest of the country shouldn't have to subsidize you just because you donn't want to change when the world economy changes.

I admit, I chuckled , TP! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2008, 08:46:36 pm »
Isn't Ontario gaining 2000 automotive jobs as the Toyota Woodstock plant comes online this year producing RAV4's?

The GM Oshawa truck plant closing only loses 1000.

2000-1000= a net gain of 1000 auto plant jobs for Ontario this year.

Its a long commute from Oshawa to Woodstock... a long one to Oakville as well
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:52 pm »
I moved to 5 different cities and 3 provinces in 10 years for work. I even commuted to Toronto from Sudbury for a year. I know far too many people who think the jobs should come to them, get a grip.

gta_driver

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2008, 09:10:40 pm »
There are are plant workers who carpool from St. Catherines to the Oshawa complex. The CAW has organized a carpool. I'm sure they would do the same for Oakville.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2008, 09:43:49 pm »
Wow, so many hateful comments. You love cars, but despise the people that make them - nice. :thumbdown: :fall: >:D

You know who you are - if you could get a well-paying job like the ones that are going to Mexico, wouldn't you take it? No, of course you wouldn't, no one's worth that much, right? Not to mention that it automatically turns you into lazy bum with an inflated sense of entitlement,  Yeah :rofl:, right.....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:52:59 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2008, 09:50:08 pm »
Wow, so many hateful comments. You love cars, but despise the people that make them - nice. :thumbdown: :fall: >:D

Hey, to be fair lots of folks here aren't too happy about the people that sell them either:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,57212.0.html

We seem to like cars though! :D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:13 pm »

That's rather an odd interpretation of this thread.  Can you quote anyone saying that they hate the people who make them?  I may have missed a post or two.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2008, 10:14:03 pm »

That's rather an odd interpretation of this thread.  Can you quote anyone saying that they hate the people who make them?  I may have missed a post or two.

Maybe that's the wrong word, but even so, you don't have to say the word to convey the feeling. Families that are losing their livelihoods deserve better than 'suck it up, buttercup', but hey, that's just me.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2008, 10:30:14 pm »
I was watching the local news last night, and a reporter interviewed some GM employees at the headquarters blockade.  One employee interviewed has been there 20 years and makes $32/hour.  He only has a Grade 12 level education.  This guy will be screwed when looking for another job.  There's no way he'll get a non-union/non-Big 3 job that will pay anywhere near that amount.

I've been working for 8 years and have a college education.  I do not make as much as this dude.  :o

There's no way he'll get a non-union/non-Big 3 job that will pay anywhere near that amount.

:nono: :nono: :nono:  Mr. T.   

Please refrain from spreading false and negative information about the wage prospects for these GM workers.   :bang:

Speaking with reporters, Flaherty said auto workers being laid off by General Motors in Oshawa as of next year can always get jobs that pay just as well in the financial services sector   http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/437352

Yes folks, that was Canada's Ministry of Finance talking; a NEOCON and an IDIOT.  2 for the price of one.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:13 pm »
Its a long commute from Oshawa to Woodstock... a long one to Oakville as well

If that is the big problem then it's hard to feel sympathy.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2008, 10:48:36 pm »
If you have ever been a member of a union Toyota or Honda will not hire you as an assembly worker.

dorin

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2008, 11:03:39 pm »
If you have ever been a member of a union Toyota or Honda will not hire you as an assembly worker.

Now if that can be proven then I would LOVE to see Toyota get fined majorly for that kind of :censor:.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2008, 11:06:42 pm »
and they won't hire anyone 40 years of age either.

barrie1

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2008, 12:43:01 am »
As usual the folks who have absolutely NO real knowledge of the automotive trade here in Canada run off with all the answers. I doubt 99% of you guys could last a full shift on a line in a automotive plant like Oshawa. You really don't have a clue on what these jobs intal at all. You think you do but you are actually totally clueless. Your little peabrains let alone your bodies couldn't take it without getting hurt. Maybe then you would shut up about what its really like to work for a Company like that for your entire career. When these folks aren't working and can't spend any money maybe it will be your turn to stay at home as you and your job is not wanted either or anything you make as well. Total unfair trade laws which are screwing this Country into the ground while we sit back and allow it to happen. You folks just keep voting them all in as you are slitting your own throats and sooner then you realize. Companies like GM founded and helped build this Country but the Imports have never and never will as well.  >:(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:57 am »
^^^^Whatever.  Sometimes I think you are clueless.  Maybe when you worked on the line it was far less automated than it is now and therefore more physical.  Not to sound sexist here (but I will) how hard is it if my buddies girlfriend who weighs all of 90lbs works on the line at Chryslers?  And Trish's mom worked on the line (100 lbs.) at GM for 15 years.  Please..give me a break.  It is NOT physically demanding to work on the line anymore.  It is DULL...DULL as hell..but not physically demanding.  Why?  Because when it was demanding, too much of the work force was off on compensation.  So they hired ergonomists and studied the range of motion, weights, repetitiveness etc.. to see what the body could handle without being injured.  From there they got automated machines and zero weight lift assist for the heavy parts.  My best friend James said, by far, the most difficult part of his job is boredom (minivan plant)

I've been in many, many manufacturing plants (Chrysler, Ford, GM, Monroe, Boeing, etc..) and I think the most difficult job I've ever seen was NOT on the line.  It was the heavy equipment mechanics (trucks, forlifts, etc.). Everything they touched, including their tools were over-sized and weighed alot.  A starter from a dumptruck weighed 90 lbs., I was told. Now THAT looked to be a difficult job.  But on the line?  Please...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:24:51 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...